First time in Disneyland

yoav_ko

Original Poster
Hi,
after 7 times in WDW orlando, I will be in DL Ca on october,
should I expect disapointment?
will 2 days be enough for DL and DCA?? in october?
is it true to assume that since DL is near LA lower season is more crowded then in Orlando??

I'm not sure its the right forum to ask but which is better
Universal California or Universal florida??

help me here!!

SirNim

I can't really help you too much concerning USF and USC but I can give you some of my observations concerning the DLR.

Disneyland differs in many MANY ways from the MK in Florida.

Disneyland offers many exclusive attractions that you cannot find at WDW, or variations of WDW attractions. Disneyland has a really different feel to it as well. You'll find little nooks and crannies everywhere around the park, adding to how special it is.

When we went, we did only Disneyland (not DCA or DD, they wern't open yet, although they were under construction) in about 3 days, to fully do everything at leisure. Thus, 2 days for both DL and DCA might be cutting it a bit close... You may not get to experience EVERY attraction, you know, only certain ones... But, I'm sure it can be pulled off, touring both in only 2 days.

DL did seem just a bit more crowded than WDW when we went... Probably due to proximinity to LA, as you have suggested. In October, I would expect crowds akin to WDW October crowds, only perhaps slightly larger...

And I can answer this part of your question without a doubt:

You will not be disappointed! :D

westie

Don't miss Soaring Over California in DCA. Very cool. Its adds the sense of smell! And eat at the Blue Bayou next to PotC. 2 days is enough. Crowds will be minimal and, if you can, stay at the DCA hotel with the park view. You literally sit on your balcony with your feet in the park. Sweeet!

AFDisneyFam

I agree that two days is enough for both parks. It sounds like you're a Disney pro, so you know what you'll be looking for. You will notice that the rides are a bit different than at MK at WDW, but noticing the differences is half the fun. A must see is the Electrical Parade at California Adventure. IMHO, it's the best Disney parade ever!

Disneyland Park is normally crowded only on the weekends. Even then in October lines won't be that bad. Use fastpass to your advantage. It is true that there are attractions that only Disneyland and DCA have that WDW doesn't have. Disneyland has the Matterhorn, Mister Toad's, Toon Town with Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin, Indiana Jones to name a few. Pretty much everything at DCA is exclusive to that park except Millionaire,Muppets and It's Tough to be a Bug.

Disappointment factor. Disneyland Resort is much, much, much smaller than WDW. That said it is still the original and a must see.

Universal Florida kicks butt over USH. Hollywood has limits due to the area it is in, not much room to grow.

Timekeeper

"I wish they all could be Disneyland California girls"

I don't know how long the promotion will go for, but Disneyland/CA are running a 5 day park hopper ticket for the price of the 3 day ticket, which I think is around $120 (adult), and is open to non-residents.

Also, if you purchase your tickets through Disneyland's "Walt Disney Travel Company" and ask for the "fastpass entitled passport plus" package, those tickets will include the ability to get FastPasses to more than 1 attraction at a time, which would obviously help you cover more attractions in a limited amount of time. You can verify the details of this information by calling them yourself at 714-520-5050. You may also want to find out what the park hours are for the days that you will be visiting.

Yes, the Grand Californian hotel is nice, but it's also the most expensive of the 3 Disneyland resort hotels. If money is not an issue, opt to stay there. Other on property hotels (such as Paradise Pier) start at about $190, depending on your time of visit and how far in advance you book your stay. If money is an issue, you can get rooms for $85 per night at a decent hotel that ranges from half a mile to across the street from Disneyland's entrance. Disneyland refers to these as "good neighboor" hotels.

:wave:

Tk

Lee

Adventurer
The thing to remember about Universal Hollywood is that it is a working studio. Huge films are in production there everyday.
The rides are few compared to USF, but the Hollywood feel is much more intense at USH.

shuflemstr

I have been to WDW 45 times and for the first time I went to Disneyland this past January. It was awesome. I agree that if you can afford it stay at Disney's Grand Californian you won't be disappointed. You have your own entrance into DCA. When I went we stayed on the concierge level. I really wanted this trip to be magical. The rides in the MK are very different. Space Mountain in DL to me was much better. When you go to DCA be sure that you see Disney's Aladdin A Musical Spectacular. It is a broadway type show at the Hyperion Theater. Tickets go fast for this. Be sure to get them early in the morning. It is at capacity for every show.

Timekeeper

"goodness gracious great space mountain balls"

Originally posted by shuflemstr
Space Mountain in DL to me was much better.

It is my understanding that Space Mountain is, unfortunately, closed for a major refurbishment until 2005.

:mad:

Tk

Merlin0402

I went to Disneyland for the first time in November 2001, after being raised on Disney World, and I really enjoyed myself. It was not disappointing in the least. The only thing that I can tell you not to do is to compare it to Disney World. It is sooooooooooooo much smaller! The castle at the end of Main Street is anti climactic when compared with WDW. The layout is primarily the same, but it is so crammed together, don't expect the wide open spaces of Orlando and you'll be fine. Have fun!

JLW11Hi

Personally, Disneyland is my favorite theme park. It isn't my favorite "resort"....WDW is a better vacation destination when staying for a longer time. But if I could choose to go to any theme park, it would be Disneyland as of now (I haven't been overseas yet, so I can't say for sure it is my favorite park in the world...)

I would suggest going during the fall/winter holidays...because the place is all decked up...and simply because of Haunted Mansion Holiday. I loved that ride, it waas possibly my favorite there. But thats just me :) They also decorate Its A Small World for the season. Its pretty cool.

There's a ton of more attractions there than in the Magic Kingdom, especially in Fantasyland...and I love the theming in Toontown, compared to Mickey's Toontown Fair.

The only down side of Disneyland as of now is its current Tomorrowland...there are a lot of attractions there that are getting kinda old...not to many "wow" features of the place...but even so, it does have both Star Tours and Honey I Shrunk the Audience...and seeing as both MGM and Epcot still consider those main attractions over in Florida, I'd say that says something about at least having them both in the same land. And of course, Space Mountain is great, but Innoventions and that Nasa thing are kinda time wasters...

The castle is much smaller at Disneyland, but just think about it this way....that castle is probably considered the gateway to all things "theme parks". This symbol stands for Disneyland, and in that way it also stands for the birth of true family destinations, cleaner environments in tourist attractions, and the construction of new, imaginative shows, rides, and other favorites we see at Disney and any other theme or amusement park for that matter, whether it be Universal, Sea World, Busch Gardens, or even Six Flags, or Cedar Park. I kinda see it as a landmark, more so than any other structure that still stands in any other Disney park, even more than Cinderella's Castle in the Magic Kingdom, regardless of how tiny it may seem in comparision.

But those are just my thoguhts. :)

yoav_ko

Original Poster
Thanks Guys!!!!

Well I want to thank you all for your info, its great to know what to expect, I will even try to add an extra day to the "disney thing" it worth fighting with my wife (who had enough disney for life I think)
I wish I could afford one of the disney hotels but I cant (even on my visits to wdw all 7 of them the closest I ever got to a disney on site hotel was the DD BW LBW hotel) but its better to come to wdw and stay off site then not coming at all neh?

thanks again!

Joav

pepsistar

:D Hi, I have not been to Disneyland in ages but--- The feel of it is quite different! More Fantasy like. The buildings are a smaller scale and it gives the whole place a different feeling. Check out the names and writing on the second floors of the buildings.

I would love to go-- You will have to give us a trip report when you get back.

Good luck on staying the extra day-- ummmmmm try, We came allllll this way--- When will we have this chance again??? :lookaroun :D

Will be thinking of you and waiting-- waiting-- to hear the news ha ha:wave:

Daannzzz

I agree with most everything everyone has said. I was borne, grew up and still live in California and didn't get to WDW until 1996. One of the great things about comparing Disneyland and the MK is that every so called "clone" attraction has differences and it is grea to see those differences and wonder why they decided to change things so make sure you try everything, even if it is not your favorite. It might be different enough at Disneyland to move up on your list.
Be aware that Disneyland is not located in the "woods" like WDW is. Here is a ariel view of the Disneyland resort, located in the middle of suburbia.
http://www.beachcalifornia.com/dlmp.html

bearboysnc

DL has some really neat rides that are only found in Anaheim.

Storybook land
Alice
Casey Jr.
MATTERHORN!
The Original Tiki Room
Tarzan's Tree house (ok not so neat)

Don't Miss: Pinnochio, Mr. Toad or Indiana Jones!!!

Duplicates but much better: most of Fantasyland and POTC (Blue Bayou is a MUST!!) Very cool autopia. Small World is so much nicer too!!!

The whole park is more personal. It's all on a smaller scale. Almost the same amount of rides in half the space... so it's alot easier on the legs.

netenyahoo

You'll have a great time at DL! Only 2 days will be tough though. DL does have more rides than MK, but in a smaller space. In October you'll get to go on Haunted Mansion Holiday which is a treat especially if you like Nightmare Before Christmas. DCA ialso fun with Soarin' being the best ride. If you only have 2 days you will need to plan well and use Fastpass. You could probably avoid some attractions like Honey I shrunk the Audience and Its Tough to be a Bug and Muppets if you have already done those at WDW. You cant miss POTC at DL because it is so different (better) from the WDW version.

pepsistar

?????? Just a question- sorry to drift a little. Does anyone know if the monorail still goes to and from the Disneyland Hotel?? That was one of the perks for staying there.

When I went, and that was "many" years ago, it did. I was just wondering. I looked at the map Dannaazz posted but could not tell. Thanks:wave:

cuteypatooty78

Originally posted by netenyahoo
You'll have a great time at DL! Only 2 days will be tough though. DL does have more rides than MK, but in a smaller space. In October you'll get to go on Haunted Mansion Holiday which is a treat especially if you like Nightmare Before Christmas. DCA ialso fun with Soarin' being the best ride. If you only have 2 days you will need to plan well and use Fastpass. You could probably avoid some attractions like Honey I shrunk the Audience and Its Tough to be a Bug and Muppets if you have already done those at WDW. You cant miss POTC at DL because it is so different (better) from the WDW version.

How about IASW? Is it different then the DL version? :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom