First time at Pop Century

fizzle75

Howdy folks, my wife and I will be staying at Pop Century for the first time beginning a week from tomorrow. We will be there from October 1st-10th, and I have a few questions. As DVC members we are used to staying at DVC resorts and we're not quite sure what to expect at a value resort. I know the rooms are much smaller, but will we notice a HUGE difference between Pop and say AKL Villas or Old Key West? Also, I have to sleep with a Cpap Machine and based on the room layout that I've seen, I'm concerned about having room on the nightstand for my Cpap and it being elevated to the proper height. We typically pack pretty heavy, how much storage space does a Pop room offer besides the closet? We will need a refrigerator for the room also, does anyone know how much it will cost?

Also, which building would you recommend as far as view and proximity to the food court/gift shop and bus stop? I have alot of trouble sleeping and the slightest bit of noise will wake me up, how noisy are the rooms at Pop?

The last time we were at WDW in October, it was for Celebration25 and it rained every single day and the heat/humidity was insane...should we expect more of the same this time? Do they still do the haunted hayride at Fort Wilderness?

In additon, I would just love to hear your reviews of Pop Century, both the pros and cons. Thanks in advance for your input! :wave:

Shere_Khan

If you are trying to avoid noise I would stay in the 80's or 90's. Their pool is never that crowded because everyone is at the 60's pool and the 50's pool.
However, it is a bit of a walk to the food court and main building.
60's and 70's is closer to the food court. 50's is not far and might be your best bet if you want to be somewhat close and less noisy.

We were in 80's last year and never heard a peep.
This year we were in 50's towards the back by the lake and it was fairly quiet with the occasional noise.

We were there first week of October last year and it was fairly hot. In the low to mid 80's always and some rain off and on.
This year we chose September and it was actually this past week. It was insanely hot. I think you are good with going in October.

I've never been to DVC resorts but I would have to imagine they are MUCH nicer then POP. POP is a fine resort but I can't imagine it compares to those.

Upvote 0

kstella

Pop is very nice, as are all the Disney hotels, but the rooms are some of the smallest on property. You will have two double beds and one sink. The food court is very nice. Try the tye-die cheese cake.

Upvote 0

Shere_Khan

Here are pictures of our room in the 50's just this past week to give you a better idea. I am pretty much standing right against the windows so there is not much room behind me. There is a square table next to the dressor though with chairs that maybe you could pull over by the bed that might be higher up and have more room on it.

Dis09034.jpg

Dis09033-1.jpg

That kind of shows the table between the beds, and there was a place to hang clothes beside the sink and the dressor.

Here is a picture of our room in the 80's from last year. I didn't get a great picture before everyone threw their crap everywhere so you can't really see. We had 4 in there and that was really tight! Seems like an exact replica of the 50's room just backwards. I thought this room was cleaner and newer looking then the one we had last week in the 50's. Not sure if that has anything to do with the section though.

Disney2008001.jpg

Upvote 0

Mikester71

Love the pictures of the rooms Shere_Khan, but makes me homesick! We have stayed at the Pop on all 3 of our previous vacations and are looking forward to staying there again when we go in 2011. We have been in the 80's, 90's, and most recently the 50's section and I love them all! I am a pretty light sleeper and we were situated on the ground level of the 50's area, near the pool and I had no problems sleeping whatsoever due to a noise. I am hoping we can get pretty close to the same area next trip too! :sohappy:

Oh yeah...we are heavy packers (well I am anyways - especially for a guy :ROFLOL:) and we had plenty of storage room. I hang all my shirts up and had no problem with the provided space. We had 2 joining rooms with 2 adults and 1 teen in each room and we were quite comfortable. Have fun! :wave:

Upvote 0

Jaytrod

Pop Century is the quietest of the Value Resorts, but I think you will find a pretty noticeable difference between the value rooms and those of a DVC room.. I usually stay at Moderate Resorts and even going from those to the Value is a pretty noticeable difference.

Upvote 0

Adventure

Will you have a car? We have stayed in the 80's 3 times and when it's too hot we would take the car to the food court. Not really that long of a walk but it doesn't take much in that heat. We had a first floor room once and could hear people walking by in the mornings and at night. When we stayed on the third floor it was much quieter. The best thing about Pop is that everywhere you look there are big bright decorations. If you are using the busses you will love that there is only one stop at Pop.

Upvote 0

DubDeeDub

I go yearly, and barring major changes (in the hotel or my salary) I will always stay at the Pop.

We always stay in the 80s or 90s building. They are perfect - far enough away from the pools to be quiet, but also close enough to the bus stops. Check out a map of the hotel and you'll see, it's a quick hop through the parking lot.

I think there is enough storage space. The TV console has a bunch of drawers that suit the needs of my family.

With the combo of the price, location, and the fact that Pop has its own bus service (as opposed to All Stars) - i think P Cent is the best value there.

Upvote 0

corey154

Well as much as I like Pop I will be honest with you.

Sleep: If you're on the first floor and kids are running up and down the hallways on the floor behind you, you will hear it...when you're neighbors take a shower, you will hear it. They seem to have thin walls.

Hayride: Yes they are doing the haunted hayride at ft wilderness on certain nights. if i were you i'd book it early.

Weather: I'd expect warm and humid. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you b/c I'd like some cooler weather down here but I'm not seeing it in the forecast so far.

Room request: i forget how much the fridge cost, i think it's like ten or so bucks a day. I like corner rooms b/c it lowers your chances of noisy neighbors. If you're a light sleeper you don't want to be close to the pool!

Upvote 0

lilclerk

Unless proximity to a pool is important to you, I would suggest the 70s buildings. They're short walk from the main building, and there's no pool so it's quiet over there.
For a better view, go for a room in the 60s facing the lake.

You will definitely notice a difference in ambiance and the rooms themselves. I've only ever stayed in moderates and values, and while I do enjoy the values (and am too cheap to stay in moderates) it is a huge difference there. I can only imagine the difference between DVC and value. That's not to say the hotel is bad by any means (it's my favorite place to stay!) but it WILL be different.
Here's most of my Pop Century photos if you're interested.

Upvote 0

fizzle75

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the great input and pictures everyone, they have been VERY helpful! :)

I still have a few more questions though...

So Pop only has ONE bus stop for the entire resort?

Does anyone know how much the Haunted Hayride costs, when they do it and most importantly...is it worth it? (I'm sure we'll enjoy it regardless, but I would just love to hear some reviews) Do you meet up for it at Pioneer Hall or somewhere else at Fort Wilderness?

The last time we were there in late September/early October, it STAYED in the mid 90's with about 95% humidity...I know it's normally still pretty warm down there this time of year, but was that UNUSUALLY HOT or about the norm and can we expect temps and humidity like that over the next few weeks?

Prior to our last Fall trip, it seemed like everyone on the boards was telling me how horrific the love bugs are this time of year but once we got there they really weren't that bad at all...aside from having to fan them off of the occasional bus stop bench and constantly swat them out of our faces during Fantasmic. How are they this year?

Thanks again for all of the input folks, I sincerely appreciate it...keep it comin'! :wave:

Upvote 0

fizzle75

Original Poster
Also, I think I know the answer to this question already...do the rooms have a microwave and if not how much is the daily charge to have one?

We will DEFINITELY be trying to get a room with a King bed instead of two double beds. Does anyone have a picture(s)that they can post of a Pop room with a king bed?

Upvote 0

corey154

No the rooms don't have microwaves, I don't know if you can rent them. They have one for use in the food court for free.

According to WDWINFO.com here is info on the hayride:

Roam the woods of Fort Wilderness on a 25-minute Haunted Carriage Ride while hearing the "Legend of Sleepy Hollow."
Can accommodate 4 adults or 2 adults with 3 children ages 9 and under.
Price: $60 per carriage
October 2 - 31, 2009
Rides at 7:30, 8:00, 8:30, 9:00, 9:30, 10:00 PM

Three carriages available for each ride time.
This ride leaves from the front of Pioneer Hall at Fort Wilderness.

Hope this helps! Also they temps are still in the 90's here.

Upvote 0

Tinkyroo

Howdy folks, my wife and I will be staying at Pop Century for the first time beginning a week from tomorrow. We will be there from October 1st-10th, and I have a few questions. As DVC members we are used to staying at DVC resorts and we're not quite sure what to expect at a value resort. I know the rooms are much smaller, but will we notice a HUGE difference between Pop and say AKL Villas or Old Key West? Also, I have to sleep with a Cpap Machine and based on the room layout that I've seen, I'm concerned about having room on the nightstand for my Cpap and it being elevated to the proper height. We typically pack pretty heavy, how much storage space does a Pop room offer besides the closet? We will need a refrigerator for the room also, does anyone know how much it will cost?

Also, which building would you recommend as far as view and proximity to the food court/gift shop and bus stop? I have alot of trouble sleeping and the slightest bit of noise will wake me up, how noisy are the rooms at Pop?

The last time we were at WDW in October, it was for Celebration25 and it rained every single day and the heat/humidity was insane...should we expect more of the same this time? Do they still do the haunted hayride at Fort Wilderness?

In additon, I would just love to hear your reviews of Pop Century, both the pros and cons. Thanks in advance for your input! :wave:

We have stayed at Pop 4 times. My DH also uses a Cpap machine. He has had no trouble with the height of the nightstand. The only thing is the head board is stuck to the wall. So instead of being able to put the hose around the back of the head board like at home he takes one of the pant hangers from the room and jams it in best he can where the headboard meets the wall then loops the hose through the hanger. Somehow it works.

We like peace and quiet too. So, we always stay in the 80's section facing the parking lot second floor or higher. It is always quiet there. 1st floors always seem noisier. Also, being in that location you are still close to the main building and the bus stop.

I LOVE Pop! - the theme, decor, gift shop, food court, efficient busses the ability to have a room tucked away where it is quiet yet still be close to everything. Our next trip we are staying at a moderate because of the free dinning offer and I will tell you I am sad that we will not be at Pop. Really I am.

You will love it! Have a great time!! :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom