First Deluxe Resort Stay?

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I have stayed at every deluxe numerous times over the years. My favorites are AKL, WL. BC, BWI and GF. (not necessarily in that order) You mention the Poly and honestly if you can afford it, go with it. If you are looking for something less expensive as a deluxe, go with a standard room at either WL or AKL or one of the garden wing rooms at the Contemporary. But most importantly go with what will be most enjoyable for you and your wife. It's a big expense so make sure it's what YOU want.

Have a wonderful trip!

Pam

DarthVader

Sith Lord
I think it depends on your plans. We have two young girls and being able to walk back and forth from the Contemporary to MK was great.
That was one HUGE benefit I found. I absolutely love the idea of just walking to MK. Of course after spending all day on your feet and walking around the family was less then enthusiastic about walking back to the contemporary ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tk0021

That was one HUGE benefit I found. I absolutely love the idea of just walking to MK. Of course after spending all day on your feet and walking around the family was less then enthusiastic about walking back to the contemporary ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That can be an issue. This year my parents are coming with us and I think they will want to take the monorail. For us my two girls were in a stroller and they would always fall asleep on the walk back to the hotel. Also, I liked being able to come and go without waiting on transportation and waiting on the lines.

rael ramone

Somethings to consider:

Would staying at a more expensive resort make you feel you need to 'get your moneys worth out of it' and spend more time there, when you'd rather spend that time in the parks?

If you want a monorail hotel, would a 'reduced' monorail schedule take your enjoyment away from the hotel?

If you like the pools at the Moderates, would you be happy at a Deluxe that may not have as many pools available?

Here's an alternate plan, one that I've done a few times.

Stay a short part of the trip at a Deluxe, then spend the rest of the trip at a Moderate. While at the Deluxe, take a full day (or as much of a full day as you want) and just hang out at the resort. Use the savings and spend it elsewhere (like a rental car if you fly, or a nice dinner at a hotel signature restaurant). Having a car at your disposal is the best fast pass one can have down there...

Toodycat

To us, the GF has the most magical feeling. The lobby is stunning, the service is friendly and efficient, all of the dining options are excellent, the monorail is so convenient, and there’s nothing like watching the fireworks from the dock. Some people say it’s “snobby,” but honestly, I’ve never stayed anyplace that was so accommodating and bent over backwards so much for my child. If the vibe at GF isn’t your style, I would choose the AKL. There’s nothing like looking out at the animals in the savannah. Boma and Jiko are great restaurants. The pool is very relaxing and lovely. I’ve liked all the deluxes that we’ve stayed at, but I think the GF and AKL offer the most unique and magical experiences.

crxbrett

The Poly. Been on 9 DW vacations now and every single trip was at the Poly. Yes, I probably am biased now, but that resort is near perfection to me. I love the gardens, the Hawaiian music, the tiki torches, the laid back atmosphere, the lagoon, the pool, the bars and restaurants, the wildlife and the location. Call me crazy, but one of the negatives most people cite for the Poly is a plus to me - the fact it is so spread out. I love walking and you can get a nice workout just walking thr grounds every day or night.

My upcoming DW vacation I finally decided to try a new resort, the AKL. So I am looking forward to it! I have been a few times for eating and enjoyed it. I couldn't not stay at the Poly though so I am only at AKL my first 5 nights of my trip.

I have explored, shopped and eaten at a lot of the other deluxe resorts over the years and I would say the Wilderness Lodge would be my 3rd choice. Boardwalk and thr Yacht & Beach Club are on my radar. I do like that they are both super close to EPCOT - my favorite park.

GF is nice, but it's too fancy for my tastes I think. I do enjoy walking over sometimes and it is peaceful. I might do a single night at some point maybe. Contemporary is too much like a Hilton or Hyatt other than the view to warrant spending all that money on a vacation to me. But again, I would like to stay 1 night in the tower just for that view. CA Grill is my 2nd favorite restaurant in DW though and that view is amazing.

disneygurl

The resorts in the Epcot area provide the most convenient transportation options to (2) parks. It is an easy walk to Epcot from Yacht/Beach, Swan/Dolphin or Boardwalk. You get the added bonus of being able to walk to Hollywood Studios, albeit a bit longer walk, maybe 15 minutes. There is the option of boat transportation too. The Yacht/Beach Club is a true resort with a stunning pool, beach, and slide. Staying at any of these resorts also allows a visit on the boardwalk which offers numerous eateries and fun activities. It really is a fully themed area to enjoy.

Crazydisneygirl

I'd say it depends on what your want - great pools, close to either Epcot or MK or Animal Kingdom. We've only stayed at Boardwalk about 4 years ago. We are going again and staying at the same place. My family likes it when we already know the layout of the place. We don't frequent the pools but love walking to Epcot - we go almost every night for the food and wine festival (love the snack credits at the kiosks). Decide as a family plus can watch videos on youtube on the resorts.

Jahona

I had my first Deluxe stay last year at The Wilderness Lodge. I have to say even with a soft spot for CSR, Wilderness Lodge was a fantastic experience that would make me come back. I've heard great things about AKL and was looking to rent DVC possibly for a stay there in the future.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Wilderness Lodge. But then I'm prejudiced as it's my home resort
I really don't have a "home resort". My family wants a new resort for each visit. Before kids, we mostly stayed off property, though I've stayed a the All stars a number of times.

As for deluxe, I'd have to say the contemporary fits my wants, needs and wishes the most, but sadly, while my kids enjoyed their stay there, they want the poly this time around. I think in the future, I may opt for value or moderate resorts, or even go back to off property stays.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I really don't have a "home resort". My family wants a new resort for each visit. Before kids, we mostly stayed off property, though I've stayed a the All stars a number of times.

As for deluxe, I'd have to say the contemporary fits my wants, needs and wishes the most, but sadly, while my kids enjoyed their stay there, they want the poly this time around. I think in the future, I may opt for value or moderate resorts, or even go back to off property stays.

DVC home resort, i.e., have a contract there. The upgrades to Pop put it closer to moderate, room wise. And the new rooms at Coronado are very nice. Sure wish the DVC resorts had Keurigs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom