First Deluxe Resort Stay?

Raineman

Original Poster
All of my WDW Resort experience has been with Values and Moderates. I would love to stay at a Deluxe just once, even if just to say I did it. The Poly is the one I had in mind, but, out of all of the Deluxe resorts, if you were only going to stay at one for a 1 week vacation, which would you choose?

correcaminos

I've stayed at them all and honestly my choice is Polynesian for location, transportation and resort layout. We love the pool there - tied for favorite with AKL - Kidani's pool. I also just love the laid back feel and the fantastic views of MK from the resort.

Granted I am likely biased. It was the first resort we stayed in for a trip there many moons ago. I honeymooned there with my husband and we're now DVC owners there as well. it has my heart for sure.

nickys

Premium Member
I would choose Beach Club.

It was the first resort we stayed in and I fell in love with it. I loved the pool and the solarium - curled up,there with a book for an hour or two was bliss. A nice cozy lounge, where we could enjoy a drink whilst the boys (14 and 10) could go along to the arcade beside Beaches and Cream.

I love being able to stroll into Epcot and just wander around in the evening. Or walking around the lake to the Boardwalk.

And I like getting the boat up to DHS and walking back if the line for the boat is too long.

petey

AKL. The animals in the Savannah, and the best group of restaurants on property. The Boma is a great buffet. Jiko is an awesome signature restaurant. Sanaa over at Kidani Village is a hidden gem. If you get to eat at Sanaa ask for a window table while still daylight (opens at 5PM) and you overlook the savannah while the animals walk by, pretty cool!!!!

aw14

We have stayed at the contemporary, poly, bean club and Animal Kingdom
lodge.

Personally, Poly is my favorite but if it was slightly more convenient, AKL would blow them all away imo. Also, we have stayed club level at all of these and find AKl to have the most diverse offerings. On the positive side to, saw Joe Rhode eating breakfast there. 😉

eliza61nyc

I've done the Beach club
Contemporary
Boardwalk
Animal kingdom
Wilderness lodge
Grand Floridian.

My heart belongs to the the Beach club. I love the theme, sunny, happy, relaxed. the location cannot be beat, walk to Epcot and HS plus all the dining options of the Boardwalk.

perfection!

SeaCastle

Another vote for Beach Club here, with AKL as second. Best pool on property and very relaxing compared to other resorts. AKL is phenomenally special in terms of theming, animals, and dining options. You really feel like you're somewhere else, though it is more time consuming to get to the parks.

The biggest perk of staying in a deluxe is not room size or theming but access to the parks. For us, this makes staying at a deluxe almost worth it. We don't have a car when we stay on property, so we're not paying parking or rental car fees. The Crescent Lake-area deluxes are centrally located within Walt Disney World so it is not much of a bus ride to DAK, Magic Kingdom, etc. But you do get two parks within a boat ride or a few minutes' walk. The time savings on this aspect alone really add up (figure walking to the bus stop, waiting for the bus to arrive, bordering, waiting for other stops, etc.) The parks aren't necessarily places to relax, so having a quick way to get back home and regroup is immensely valuable- just maybe not at the prices they charge!

PoppinsFan

Last Summer we stayed Deluxe for the first time. We couldn't decide so we did a split stay between Yacht Club & Boardwalk. We loved the pool at the Yacht Club. The location was great! It was so convenient to be able to walk to Epcot & Hollywood Studios.

OneofThree

Polynesian. There is nothing like being on Bay Lake/Seven Seas lagoon, and having that view of the castle. I've stayed at the Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge and like them as well, but the theme and ambiance are just fantastic. We've stayed at the Epcot Resort area, and it's wonderful as well, but just lacks some of the MK area magic for us.

Last edited:

KaliSplash

If $$ is not an issue, head for Grand Floridian. We've stayed at Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club. Poly has a lot of fans. I'm not excited about the separate buildings away from the restaurants. Our visit to Yacht Club last year was tainted by a lot of renovation work. We actually prefer Wilderness Lodge, though there is much to say for any of the monorail resorts. Have fun.
v

SDisney90

Going for my honeymoon next March and we always stayed at a value resort. We're having a hard time choosing between the poly and AKL. After prices come out for 2019 I think that will be our deciding factor.

JusticeDisney

Beach Club all day long IMHO. Location can’t be beat, with super quick walking/boating access to two parks and a very reasonable ride to the other two. Best pool anywhere on property, and it’s not even close. Character dining right there, not to mention walking distance to the best cluster of restaurants anywhere on property (in that regard, no other resort can compare to the group of restaurants at the Swan/Dolphin, which is a short walk away). Recently renovated rooms with beautiful views. I could go on and on and on.

MaryJaneP

Kinda surprised nobody here seems to suggest Wilderness Lodge. For a week stay, it seems ideal. Or do you mean that you want a Deluxe in walking distance to a Park?

OneofThree

Kinda surprised nobody here seems to suggest Wilderness Lodge. For a week stay, it seems ideal. Or do you mean that you want a Deluxe in walking distance to a Park?

I just came from WL and would totally suggest it to anyone as we had a wonderful stay there. But I think the OP was asking, if you could only do one, which one would it be above all others. As far as walking distance, I think it's overrated. Taking the water launches for example, is just such a beautiful ride, IMO. The monorails also offer a unique experience.

LIMA TIME

The Poly is wonderful and you can't go wrong.

But our family has fallen in love with the Wilderness Lodge. We Love everything about it. its a bit smaller than the other, the food is great, the pool is wonderful.

The boat ride to MK is fast an easy.

slappy magoo

Huh, I never thought about it until now, but thanks in part to being a DVC member I've spent at least one night in every deluxe/DVC resort except Yacht Club & Old Key West, even if I was glomming on to other relative's reservations. I think where I'd choose to stay would depend greatly on who's with me - if it's a "romantic getaway" with just my wife & I, or nuclear family with the girls, or an extended family reunion vacation or with friends etc.

But for the most part, I think I'd go back to Bay Lake Tower at Contemporary. I've written it before but IMHO the Contemporary IS Disney. 1BR Villas afford you 2 bathrooms, walking distance to MK, monorail to Poly, GF and Epcot via TTC. Boats to Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness. It just affords you access to many recreational options and restaurants in one location.

I also enjoyed the Boardwalk but my wife did not emjoy it as much, and of course, the 1BR Villas only give you 1 bathroom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom