First Deluxe Resort Stay?

Seeshark

I've stayed at WL, AKL and Boardwalk Inn. I'd like to try Poly, though I always feel like there's almost too much activity going on there with people not staying there coming through for one reason or another. Whereas the WL is so relaxing in my view, and although the water taxi may be a bit longer than the monorail, it's still pretty fast, and when everyone is trying to get out of MK at the same time, it's nice to have the boat ride option over the monorail crunch. AKL is just as nice, probably a little bit nicer, but more time on buses. And I liked the Boardwalk Inn, particularly since I split the trip and stayed there the days we were doing Epcot and HS. The short distance just makes life easier. I would really like to try the Beach Club.

Weather_Lady

The Polynesian has always been on my "bucket list."

However, my first deluxe stay was [on rented DVC points] at the Wilderness Lodge. It's a gorgeous and convenient resort -- the ideal "gateway deluxe" in my opinion.

bunnyman

Done Poly, Contemporary, WL, BC, and YC. Poly is great due to location and theme. Only stayed in Garden Wing at Contemporary, so didn't really get the full effect. BC is great because of convenience to back entrance (International Gateway) of Epcot and their pool complex; YC although adjoining BC, can be a hike if your room is at the very end (we were actually closer to the Swan/Dolphin for transportation). WL is generally my family's favorite based on compact size, most everything being located in one building, and the boat ride to the MK.

righttrack

Our deluxe stays have been:

Wilderness Lodge (x5)
Animal Kingdom Lodge (x6)
Polynesian (x2)
Grand Floridian (1)
Contemporary (1)

As you can see from the numbers you know which ones are our favorites. To me AKL and WL just get it right.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
out of all of the Deluxe resorts, if you were only going to stay at one for a 1 week vacation, which would you choose?
For me the Contemporary. I love that place and while the theming isn't on the same level of the Poly, I find it to be a great place. I love the fact the monorail runs through it. Short of the contemporary, I'd opt for the Poly.

Eyemabee

All of my WDW Resort experience has been with Values and Moderates. I would love to stay at a Deluxe just once, even if just to say I did it. The Poly is the one I had in mind, but, out of all of the Deluxe resorts, if you were only going to stay at one for a 1 week vacation, which would you choose?
We really liked the Dolphin. Sand by the pool. Gorgeous pools. Nice ferry ride to the park. I’d stay again in a heartbeat

drwadadli

We have stayed at all on the monorail loop and love them all for their own reasons.

Contemporary -- One stop from the TTC so you can catch the monorail to Epcot; very short walk to and from MK; has The Wave restaurant; boat ride away from WL (as we love Artist Point) and/or FW (as we really like Trails End and Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue)
Polynesian -- best view of the fireworks over the castle; can walk to and from TTC or Grand Floridian; totally love the island theme (as used to live on an island in the Caribbean for 3 yrs so brings back a lot of great memories); has 'Ohana and Kona Cafe
Grand Floridian -- One stop from MK via monorail; had a lake view and still able to watch the fireworks and the room was off away from the pool; has Victoria & Albert's and Narcoossee's

Last edited:

daringstoic

DAK Lodge. I was in the same boat - only ever stayed at Pop and the All Stars really (one visit to POFQ as a teen). We decided to split our stay a couple of weekends ago and splurge on one night at a deluxe. DAK Lodge was the most affordable by a mile and it was in my top three dream resorts. Staying there changed everything for me. My mom is trying to talk me into a suite at the All Stars for our Labor Day trip and thinking of going back to that after waking up to animals right outside my room and strolling through the gorgeous lobby for breakfast has me dreading it. The pool there isn't the greatest, but the food and lobby and savanna views were amazing. Especially coming straight from two nights in a yet-to-be-renovated room at Pop.

jeff2231

All of my WDW Resort experience has been with Values and Moderates. I would love to stay at a Deluxe just once, even if just to say I did it. The Poly is the one I had in mind, but, out of all of the Deluxe resorts, if you were only going to stay at one for a 1 week vacation, which would you choose?

Beach club hands down, the atmosphere, the pool, the LOCATION is great! right in the middle of 2 parks, you can walk to either. Or you can walk to epcot and take the monorail to MK vs a bus. its by far the best deluxe resort

BellFamily2000

We have stayed at all of the Deluxe resorts and they are all equally nice. The Polynesian is my favorite because of the location and the ability to watch fireworks & the water parade from our room. Surprisingly though, the Yacht club is my family’s favorite because it is so close to Epcot & HS and it has an amazing pool. You can’t go wrong with any of them...no matter how short the stay!

danyoung56

I've been lucky enough to stay in several of the deluxes over the years. And I have to say that for a first time, there's something special, something totally Disney, about staying in a hotel where the monorail goes through the concourse. Plus, if you get a park-side view, the Contemporary has just killer views of the MK, the Seven Seas Lagoon, the monorails, the Poly and GF across the way - totally magic!

spock8113

Polynesian, probably your best choice with Ohana breakfast right in your yard!
I've heard people who stayed at the Grand Floridian get a sense of being a steerage passenger on the Titanic.
And I've eaten in Citricos and think it may be over-rated as well. Fancy food that's good.

dreski

We have stayed at WL, AKL, POLY and BC. All are nice with different amenities but our top choices are WL and AKL. The atmosphere is unbeatable in both (stayed at WL x3 and AKL x2) I am in the minority as I felt POLY did not live up to the hype. Yes it has great views of MK but I really didn't feel transported to the islands. In WL and AKL I always feel transported to a comfortable and easy going place. BC was fine and great location. I would actually place it third along with any of the other Epcot resorts. As another poster mentioned there is nothing like walking into your room and seeing a giraffe eating right outside your room or just to be able to sit in a rocking chair and relax watching a waterfall.

Daddyoh

I would choose Beach Club.

It was the first resort we stayed in and I fell in love with it. I loved the pool and the solarium - curled up,there with a book for an hour or two was bliss. A nice cozy lounge, where we could enjoy a drink whilst the boys (14 and 10) could go along to the arcade beside Beaches and Cream.

I love being able to stroll into Epcot and just wander around in the evening. Or walking around the lake to the Boardwalk.

And I like getting the boat up to DHS and walking back if the line for the boat is too long.
I agree !

durangojim

We've stayed at every Deluxe except the Contemporary. Was at Poly a year ago and did not care for it after the recent "updates". As others have said, if you like Epcot, stay at the Yacht or Beach. If you like MK, the GF gets my vote for the nicest rooms on property, and all the fun things about the Poly are just a short walk away.

Mainahman

After this parking price thing, we will be re thinking how we handle upcoming visits, but the initial plan was to make the Jump to stay at Wilderness Lodge. our Daughter is 18 now, and my wife told her this was her last family paid vacation. Shes welcome to join us, as long as she covers her portion. Shes also decided we need a bit more from our resort. If we return to staying on site, it will be Wilderness Lodge, as ive heard nothing but great. and it will give us a bit better transportation experience, or one can hope.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Wyndham.

IanDLBZF

I've only stayed at ONE Deluxe Resort (in 2007; Polynesian) and ONE DVC Deluxe Villa Resort (more recently in December 2017; Boulder Ridge Villas).
Boulder Ridge, and Wilderness Lodge in general, is a beautiful resort. I've seen it decorated at Christmas and it is marvelous! Heck there's even a HUGE tree in the main lobby of Wilderness Lodge at Christmas, and check out the Geyser there too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom