Trip Report First Annual Family Cruise Fun

The Details

Who: Me (Ashley) and my husband (Wes), Kingdom Konsultant Agents and Fellow WDWMagicers :D

IMG_0980.jpg

When: June 20-22 at Walt Disney World and June 22-26 on the Disney Dream

What: 1st Annual Family Cruise! We had two days of pre-cruise fun at Walt Disney World and then went on a 4 Night Bahamian Cruise with two stops at Castaway Cay!

This was our 4th Disney cruise and our second time on the Disney Dream. More importantly this was the 1st Annual WDWMAGIC/Kingdom Konsultants Family Cruise!! I was so excited when this cruise was announced and knew I just had to go on this cruise. :) Wes and I were just on the Disney Magic back in January for a 7 night cruise so doing another cruise in the same year was kinda nuts but we made it work. There was no way I was going to miss out on all the fun! :D

Saturday June 20th – Walt Disney World Here We Come! Woo hoo! :D

We had an early morning flight…at 5:40am to be exact, which meant that we had to wake up at 3am. o_O We spent the night at my parents house since they live closer to the airport and so my dad could give us a ride. It was a very early morning and I was going on pretty much no sleep. Every night before a Disney trip, I’m like that kid in the commercial where I’m just too excited to sleep! :D

So, I was up and getting ready at 3am and successfully managed to burn my left index finger on my hair straightener. Ouch! Not the smartest thing to do but that’s what happens when you are up at 3am and didn’t get any sleep.

(Oh and on the plane is when I realized that I forgot to pack my sweaters to wear to dinner. Goodness it had been quite a morning.)

We had a lot of suitcases this trip because I decided I was going to do fish extender gifts! :) This would be our first time participating so I was really excited. We had a group for fish extenders with the Family Cruise group but then I decided to also join another FE group with a Facebook group. I’m crazy, I know. What was I thinking joining two FE groups on my first go round? I just couldn’t help myself. I was so excited to be crafty!

We ended up with two additional suitcases filled with gifts. I was worried that if we checked those bags they may get lost and I didn’t want to risk it. So we had some extra luggage to carry on.

Our flight to Orlando was uneventful and we landed on time at 7:20am. Thank you Southwest! We got to DME a little before 8am. I LOVE getting to Orlando so early!!

IMG_9474.jpg

IMG_9475.jpg

IMG_9477.jpg

For this short trip, we would be staying at Port Orleans Riverside. This would be our first time staying at this resort so I was excited to check it out.

IMG_9478.jpg

IMG_9479.jpg

Don’t look so excited Westin!

IMG_9480.jpg

After I took the above picture, our bus driver said “Give me the camera” :D He was very nice to offer to take our picture.

IMG_9481.jpg

My father in law complained after our January cruise that we didn’t take enough pictures of ourselves. Hahaha We were off to a good start this trip with a photo of the two of us within 20 minutes of the start of the trip. :D

We were the first ones to board the bus so we got seats right up front. Woo hoo! While we waited for other guests to board, we chatted with the bus driver. He was really nice and we talked about all kinds of things but mostly about the TV show, The Blacklist.

IMG_9483.jpg

IMG_9484.jpg

IMG_9489.jpg

I love this sight!

We arrived at POR around 9am and went to check in.

IMG_9490.jpg

IMG_9492.jpg

IMG_9493.jpg

Our room wasn’t ready when we checked in but they were able to get us a room that was. We ended up being upgraded to a pool view room. Whoop whoop! :) I didn’t care so much about the view since we were only there for two nights but I was really excited that we could drop off all our bags in our room.

Our room was in Magnolia Terrace so we made our way there. Our room was on the first floor.

IMG_9504.jpg

IMG_9505.jpg

Wes knows the drill that when we get into our room, I have to take pictures. He decided to photo bomb some of them.

IMG_9494.jpg

Thanks, Wes.

IMG_9495.jpg

IMG_9496.jpg

I love all of the new bedspreads in the rooms. It makes the rooms feel a lot sleeker.

IMG_9498.jpg

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
Amy made all of the agents on this trip some awesome ears.

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

We failed at a taking a good group shot of the agents Hahaha My ears were blocking Marie and everyone is looking at all the different cameras. Oh well. You get the picture. (Pun intended :D)

The best part of the dessert party was the view of IllumiNations! Oh man, were we close to the action! When those flames went off…wow. It was hot! I tried to take a few pictures but I never get any good ones so I put away my camera so I could just enjoy the show.

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

2015-06-21%2021.08.26.jpg

After IllumiNations, it was time for us to head out. Maggie was giving us a ride back to the resort and she still had a 40 minute drive home. I wanted to stay until they kicked us out of Epcot, but oh well. :) I couldn’t pass up a ride back to the resort.

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

We found Maggie’s car easily, thanks to my picture. We got to her car and she noticed that some lining on the outside of the window was peeling off her car. She had taken it into the shop and they said they had fixed it, but obviously it wasn’t fixed. We had to MacGyver her door with some shoelaces and band aids to keep it from flying off on her drive home. Hahaha :D It was an interesting end to the night.

Maggie dropped us off at POR and we called it a night.

Up next: So long WDW, Hello Disney Dream!

DisSplash

Loving your trip report! It looks like you all made the most of the days you had in the Parks and managed to get a lot of great stuff in! I haven't been to POR since 2009, and the updates looks great! It really is a pretty resort. Your Fitbit story cracked me up too - do you really add that many more steps by walking place? I am debating whether to get one. I have been tracking steps with my phone, but I hear that it's not very accurate.

Looking forward to hearing more of your trip, and especially your cruise! WE have been on the Dream once, and are headed to the Fantasy for the Star Wars cruise, so I am building my excitement via everyone's cruise reports!

So happy to read another trip report of yours! My daughter and I now take pop out pictures :) I like Wes' shirt - Genny is our hometown brewery and has a great rooftop deck overlooking the city. Ready to read more...

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
Loving your trip report! It looks like you all made the most of the days you had in the Parks and managed to get a lot of great stuff in! I haven't been to POR since 2009, and the updates looks great! It really is a pretty resort. Your Fitbit story cracked me up too - do you really add that many more steps by walking place? I am debating whether to get one. I have been tracking steps with my phone, but I hear that it's not very accurate.

Looking forward to hearing more of your trip, and especially your cruise! WE have been on the Dream once, and are headed to the Fantasy for the Star Wars cruise, so I am building my excitement via everyone's cruise reports!

Thanks @DisSplash :D We had two great days in the parks before our cruise. I really think doing the parks first before a cruise is the way to go. It's nice to be able to relax after hectic days in the parks.

Hahaha We didn't add more steps by walking in place than walking normally, but when I saw her moving, I knew I needed to move too. She ended up beating me with steps so it didn't matter either way but it was fun. I really like using the Fitbit.

Oh, I love the Fantasy!! And a Star Wars cruise! :D AWESOME! Have a great time!

looking forward to reading more!

Thanks for reading!

Love the TR! Great pics! And off looking forward for more and more :) Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! Getting ready to post some more now. :)

Glad you and Wes had a great time on your cruise. The photos you take are always great to look at. My wife and I are thinking about taking our first cruise but since we have never been on one we are a little nervous.

Thanks for reading Bruce! The cruises are so much fun! I was nervous before my first cruise too but now I'm hooked.

So happy to read another trip report of yours! My daughter and I now take pop out pictures :) I like Wes' shirt - Genny is our hometown brewery and has a great rooftop deck overlooking the city. Ready to read more...

Thanks for reading! Aw, that's awesome that you all take pop out pictures! Hahaha I'm glad I have inspired you :D

So cool! We have friends in Rochester and actually went to the brewery for a tour. We both got shirts there and they are sooo comfy!

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
Sunday, June 22nd – I want to get on the ship already! :arghh: :( :bawling:

Today we were making our way to Port Canaveral to board the Disney Dream for the 1st Annual Family Cruise! I was super excited for this cruise. :D

We had received our paperwork the day before showing that our pickup time for the cruise was 11am. Say what?! :eek: I was so bummed we were getting picked up so late! On our last two cruises, Wes and I have been some of the first people to arrive at the port. Oh well… there was nothing we could do about it now.

We slept in a little bit this morning and then were up to get our bags ready to be delivered to the ship. After packing up our bags, I wanted to take some pictures around the resort and then buy some rice crispy treats to take home. :D I love rice crispy treats. And they just taste better in Mickey shape!

IMG_0053.jpg

I love these headboards! And look who’s in the picture!

IMG_0050.jpg

Lottie and Big Daddy

IMG_0055.jpg

Tiana and Naveen are on the stairs! Love it.

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

The gift shop didn’t have the rice crispy treats I like. They only had the small ones and I like the bigger ones. :D I knew this meant that we would need to make a stop at Downtown Disney. The ferry wasn’t running yet so we would have to hop on a bus.

IMG_0098.jpg

I was bummed that the Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum were gone from this spot. :( I liked posing with those guys.

We made our way to Goofy’s Candy Company to get those tasty, tasty rice crispy treats.

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

TA-DA! :D

Woo hoo! They had the rice crispy treats I was looking for. They also had the plain ones that I like. I always pick up a couple of the chocolate covered ones for my mom and get some for myself, too, of course. :)

IMG_0102.jpg

These are the ones I don’t really like. They’re too small.

After picking up our treats, we decided to check out some of the new areas at Downtown Disney…or should I say, Disney Springs. We walked along the new bridge and I heard “We’re all in this together…” :D I couldn’t help but stop and dance! Wes just kept walking…

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

Trash Cans!

IMG_0109.jpg

We saw a ferry coming and wanted to make sure and catch it so we could get back to POR in time for our cruise pickup. We started looking around and realized we didn’t know where the new boat dock was. Oops. We figured it out quickly and were able to board the ferry back to POR.

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

2015-06-22%2010.53.21.jpg

So cute Hahaha

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
We got back to POR, ran to our room to grab our carry on bags and then went to meet for the bus at the River Roost. We grabbed a spot and then Wes went to grab some food to tie us over until we got on the ship. :)

IMG_0127.jpg

We waited what seemed like an eternity before we were able to board the bus. I don’t think we boarded the bus until close to 12pm. While waiting, we saw Monty (@Monty) and his son, Morgan. We said hi to them as we made our way to the bus and said we’d see them on there. Well, our bus left and Monty and Morgan weren’t on it. Turns out, they got a bus right after us that went straight to the port. We stopped at POFQ and OKW before FINALLY getting to the port. Those lucky dudes!

IMG_0130.jpg

2015-06-22%2011.40.42.jpg

The entire bus ride I was getting texts from the ladies that they were on the ship and what table they had for dinner and how many Bahama Mamas they had already consumed. Their texts were killing me! We finally made it to the port around 1:20pm.

IMG_0134.jpg

There she is!!!! :D

IMG_0138.jpg

We made it!

It was like torture getting to the port so late. I think from now on, if we do WDW before a cruise, we are going to arrange for private transportation to the port. That way I can make sure that we get there whenever we want. Lesson learned.

We quickly checked in and were immediately able to board the ship. We were having a welcome reception at 2pm so I felt super rushed to get to our room. I didn’t even stop to take pictures in the lobby atrium. You know I must be in a hurry if there isn’t even time for pictures! :eek:

We were in Stateroom 9047 this cruise. By the time we got up to Deck 9, we could access our room. Since this was only a 4 night cruise, we decided to try a Deluxe Inside Stateroom. We have previously had oceanview staterooms and staterooms with verandahs so this would be a change for us. Just as it’s my goal to stay at every WDW resort, I also want to try out every stateroom category.

We dropped off our bags and I quickly took some pictures before we made our way to Evolution for our reception.

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

The Magical porthole was really neat! We saw numerous characters, like Ray from the Princess and the Frog, the characters from Up and Winnie the Pooh, fly by the screen. It was a nice touch to the room since we didn’t have a real porthole.

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

2015-06-22%2013.42.49.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

We walked through Pink and the District Lounge on our way to Evolution.

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
IMG_0161.jpg

We were still a little early for the reception so I ran to the atrium lobby to take a picture of that gorgeous chandelier!

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

First ones to arrive. Woop! Woop!

At this point, I realized that I was incredibly hungry. All I had to eat was the croissant and now my stomach was growling. Wes and I decided to run up to Cabanas to get some drinks and I was going to go to Flo’s Café to get us some food. Monty and Morgan went with us on the drink finding expedition.

While waiting for the bartender to take our order, I told Wes that I would go grab food and meet them back in Evolution. So I power walked my way over to Flo’s, and then made my way back downstairs to Evolution with two plates in my hands.

While on the stairs, a family asked me where they could find food. I gave them directions and then another guy asked me where he could find a drink. I felt like a tour guide. Hahaha :D

I made it back to Evolution and was shocked that I beat the guys back. The guys arrived about 10 minutes later. Apparently, the bartender had to go find a banana for Morgan’s drink. :)

IMG_0171.jpg

It was great timing on their part because we had some special guests show up to our reception. Mickey and Minnie! :D The kids were so excited.

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

And I was excited too! I was also really happy to have my first Bahama Mama of the cruise! Wooo hoooo!

IMG_0180.jpg

We took a ton of pictures. We got pictures of families, just kids, the agents and the whole group.

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

CE364306-DF5B-48A4-BB77-C831CED34741.jpg

78236DA0-BAC7-4B3D-9B48-66B07F6582EC.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

It was a great reception! It was so nice to see everybody after so much planning went into the cruise. We made our way back to our stateroom to unpack and decorate our door before it was time for the safety drill.

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
2015-06-22%2013.54.50.jpg

Quick Instagram shot on our way to our stateroom :D

IMG_0206.jpg

I was really excited this cruise because as I mentioned, it was the first time we were doing fish extender gifts. Wes thought I was crazy to want to give gifts to strangers but I love being crafty and thought it would be a fun thing to try.

I saw an idea for door pennants on Pinterest and I knew I wanted to make some of my own. I made a bunch for my own stateroom door and then decided to make some as FE gifts as well.

IMG_0205.jpg

After we unpacked, it was time to deliver our first round of gifts. :) I mentioned that I like to be crafty. This was a problem when it came to FE gifts because I just couldn’t stop myself from continuing to make gifts.

First I made some clothespin magnets…

2015-06-06%2017.46.15.jpg

I used scrapbook paper, Mod Podge and magnets.

2015-06-06%2017.42.41.jpg

Then I painted some picture frames…

2015-06-06%2017.39.25.jpg

2015-06-06%2017.39.31.jpg

2015-06-06%2017.39.47.jpg

For the kids, I put together activity books for the younger kids and journals for the older kids…

2015-06-07%2014.26.58.jpg

Activity book and crayons

2015-06-07%2014.26.36.jpg

Journal with pen and bookmark

I made door pennant magnets for each person in our FE groups based on their favorite characters…

2015-06-12%2023.19.09.jpg

Donald, Daisy, Goofy, Mickey and Minnie

2015-06-14%2022.24.33.jpg

Star Wars: R2D2, a Jedi and Darth Vader

2015-06-18%2020.38.09.jpg

Winnie the Pooh and Eeyore

2015-06-18%2020.39.01.jpg

Lightning McQueen and Mater

2015-06-18%2020.40.44.jpg

Maleficent and Princess Aurora

2015-06-18%2020.41.00.jpg

Villians: Maleficent and Cruella De Vil

c5c45271-f49f-4a0b-8ca9-754f33e10ccc.jpg

Princesses: Cinderella, Aurora, Belle, Snow White, Anna, Ariel, Tiana, Rapunzel

2015-06-18%2020.50.11.jpg

Misc: Stitch, Toy Story Alien, Baymax, Dory, Grumpy, Olaf, Aladdin, Cruella De Vil, Peter Pan, Jake

Then at the last minute, I decided to make goodie bags for pirate night!

2015-06-06%2017.44.15.jpg

Contains chocolate gold coins, eye patches and glow sticks

I went a little overboard (Pun intended Hahaha) but I was really glad we participated. Wes was really happy too once he saw all the cool stuff we got. It was really exciting to come back to our stateroom and see that we had gotten gifts. It was like Christmas!

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
We delivered our first batch of gifts and then went to meet for the safety drill.

IMG_0207.jpg

View from our safety drill spot

2015-06-22%2016.06.47.jpg

After the safety drill, Wes went back to the stateroom to grab my camera bag because I wanted my other lens and I ran up to Deck 12 for the Sail Away Party. We had a banner that we were going to hold up for the port cams. :)

IMG_0210.jpg

First funnel picture of the cruise! :D

2015-06-22%2016.27.27.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

2015-06-22%2016.21.18.jpg

2015-06-22%2016.22.43.jpg

2015-06-22%2016.26.24.jpg

Wes met me and I swapped out my lens really quick so I could go take some more pictures.

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

2015-06-22%2016.36.45.jpg

Had to post this to our Instagram account :D

After the Sail Away Party, we made our way back to our stateroom to get ready for the show and dinner. And look what we found on our door…

IMG_0310.jpg

It was our first FE gift! Yay!!

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
While we were getting ready, we decided to order the All Hands On Deck platter from room service. I was in the bathroom getting ready when the food was delivered. I told Wes not to eat anything until I took a picture. This is what I found when I came out of the bathroom…

IMG_0312.jpg

Hahahaha

IMG_0313.jpg

On this cruise, we were using the Chat feature on the Disney Cruise app. I got a message from Amy (@NHMouse) that she and Stacy were at Currents and I should join them for a drink. Wes and I quickly finished getting ready and then went to meet them.

IMG_0315.jpg

Mmm…my second Bahama Mama of the cruise :D

We couldn’t stay too long for drinks because Wes and I were going to see the Golden Mickeys. I don’t love this show but I do like how it has songs and characters from some movies that don’t get a lot of love around the Disney Parks like Mulan, Pocahontas and the Hunback of Notre Dame.

IMG_0317.jpg

2015-06-22%2016.16.05.jpg

2015-06-22%2016.15.44.jpg

After the show, we stopped by the excursion desk to signup for the Castaway Cay 5k! Woo hoo! Now, it’s important to remember that I’m no runner. I actually hate running. :D But, I love Disney and I love the idea of running runDisney races. You may remember that in 2012 I had the crazy idea to run the Princess Half Marathon. I am happy to say that I finished the half marathon with pretty much zero training. I was sticking to the same strategy for the Castaway Cay 5k and did absolutely no training before this race. It was sure to be interesting tomorrow morning! Hahaha

IMG_0316.jpg

While Wes waited in line, I took some pictures. Surprise. Surprise. :D

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

2015-06-22%2016.13.55.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

We still had some time before dinner so we went back to the room so I could deliver another round of FE gifts.

IMG_0326.jpg

We received a TON of gifts while we were gone! Yay! I wanted to take pictures of all the gifts we got so I would remember who gave what but there just got to be so many that I only took pictures this first night.

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

I LOVE the Kingdom Konsultant bottle opener!

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

LOVE :D

Wes was thrilled to help me deliver more gifts

IMG_0331.jpg

We worked our way from the top of the ship to the bottom so we would be close to our first dining location; Royal Palace :)

All of us were seated at tables close together and at our table were Amy, Monty and Morgan. Amy’s Mom decided to stay in the room to order room service.

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

I explained to everyone at the table about my picture taking craziness. I told them how I didn’t let Wes eat his food until I had a picture. Amy, Morgan and Monty all graciously offered to wait until I took a picture of their food before they began eating. :D I told them they really didn’t have to do that (I only make my husband do that!) but they all didn’t mind. Morgan said he was used to it from when Monty did trip reports. Hahaha Each night at dinner, everyone would ask me if I needed a picture of their food before they started eating. If Wes or I got the same thing as them, then they were off the hook. :D

IMG_0338.jpg

I can never get the lighting right on these food pictures. I normally give up and just let the person eat when I can’t get it right the first try.

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

Another attempt at the French onion soup

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

Action shot

IMG_0355.jpg

We had a great meal! Our servers were Shawn from Barbados and Antonio from Portugal. Antonio was really funny. One night he was signing Alicia Keys “This girl is on fire….” and then another night he was singing a Rihanna song. :D

Before we left the restaurant, Antonio drew a brainteaser on the tablecloth. It was something about there being 3 light bulbs on one side of a wall and 3 light switches on the other side of the wall. You have to figure out which light switch controls which light bulb but you can only turn on 2 light switches and you can only look on the other side of the wall once. Anyone know the answer? We were stumped. Antonio told us the answer and we felt dumb for not figuring it out.

IMG_0356.jpg

Before we left, I took some more pictures of the restaurant.

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
IMG_0368.jpg

I love the details on these chairs

A bunch of us decided to go meet in Skyline for some drinks. Wes and Amy decided to take the elevator but I have a rule on cruises, that I only take the stairs. :)

IMG_0369.jpg

I win!

We grabbed a nice spot in one of the corners.

IMG_0370.jpg

Really neat light up menus

IMG_0372.jpg

I ordered another Bahama Mama and Wes got a mojito.

2015-06-22%2022.03.38.jpg

We had a great time hanging out in Skyline. Wes and I kept saying we wanted to go on a cruise with friends and we were so excited to finally go in a large group.

Around midnight, Wes and I decided to call it a night. Remember, we were running the 5k in the morning.

The lobby was really quiet on the way back to our room.

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

So many gifts!!! :D

IMG_0378.jpg

First towel animal of the cruise

IMG_0379.jpg

I think I finally went to bed around 1am after checking out all of our cool gifts.

Up next: First Stop – Castaway Cay!

fractal

Love the details at POR. I'm sure that first Bahama Mama went down easy! Very impressed with your Fish Extender commitment and efforts!

Enjoying your photos; food pics are great!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom