Fireworks Testing at EPCOT?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
So how reliable is Screamscape? I mean is it possible there is nothing legitimate about this rumor? I remember a bunch of folks getting all upset about 5-6 years ago about Skydance and nothing ever happened with that.
Right, there has been rumors of a replacement for about the last 5 years, roughly around the time of the 10 year original lifespan. It seems likely that a replacement will happen, but when - who knows. The situation is somewhat like Star Tours. That replacement was rumored frequently for years, but took a heck of a long to happen. With the lack of any new attractions heading to Epcot other than the Test Track refurb, a new nightshow would be a way of giving Epcot something new, fairly quickly, and without physical building. They could very well go down that route in the next 12 - 15 months. Equally, I wouldn't be surprised to still see the current show running in 5 years from now.

Father Robinson

Actually good to know! Maybe it's just me but I would think a new nighttime show would be twice as costly as say a JII redo. $$ for a new score to be written, performed, and recorded, $$ for new pyro barges and new fountains I'm assuming, $$ for new systems to be installed..... I just think if they're concerned about breathing new life into EPCOT there are certainly easier and less costly ways than killing a unique one of a kind extravaganza.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
?.. after such a MAJOR upgrade? Again imo the upgrade/improvements were what i thought TDO responded with to the questions of upgrades to the show.
Again, this was no upgrade. It was a supply issue. The major ROE upgrade / next version was shelved indefinitely.

The lasers are still woefully underpowered, the show software outdated, the inferno barge (MkII) is on borrowed time and the pavilion infrastructure creaking along with make dos.

HMF

Right, there has been rumors of a replacement for about the last 5 years, roughly around the time of the 10 year original lifespan. It seems likely that a replacement will happen, but when - who knows. The situation is somewhat like Star Tours. That replacement was rumored frequently for years, but took a heck of a long to happen. With the lack of any new attractions heading to Epcot other than the Test Track refurb, a new nightshow would be a way of giving Epcot something new, fairly quickly, and without physical building. They could very well go down that route in the next 12 - 15 months. Equally, I wouldn't be surprised to still see the current show running in 5 years from now.
I just want the technology upgraded. No completely new show. The show concept and score is perfect as it is. Reflections of Earth is timeless. With what they have been doing with Epcot over the past decade replacing one of the few great things left there would be a disaster.

WDW Monorail

Again, this was no upgrade. It was a supply issue. The major ROE upgrade / next version was shelved indefinitely.

The lasers are still woefully underpowered, the show software outdated, the inferno barge (MkII) is on borrowed time and the pavilion infrastructure creaking along with make dos.

Four different types of shells have been used in the finale in the past 8 months. The finale is actually back up to 16 shells from 12 that it was for a very long time. All the other changes have been pretty steady since March.

Even though you say that the infrastructure and equipment is old, it still works really damn well on a nightly basis. The lasers might be 13 years old but they work great. I'd actually be opposed to a laser change since it would be a waste of money.
The inferno barge went 5 years without major down time before it was pulled from the show. I don't know how much work was done to the propane system and piping was done during that time. Probably not much since it wasn't planned, but the inferno barge has been out for a lengthy refurb as well as a shorter one, in the 5 years since its return.

It doesn' matter how old the technology is, as long as it still works fine, it doesn't need to be upgraded.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I dunno... For example New lasers were specced 18 months ago. They even flew out to see WOC's in action.
Then they were cancelled.

hpyhnt 1000

I dunno... For example New lasers were specced 18 months ago. They even flew out to see WOC's in action.
Then they were cancelled.

I've always wondered why they were cancelled. Its not like the new ones could have only been used for RoE. Just change the programming and use them in the next version of IllumiNations (whenever it comes about). If there was any hardware upgrade that was easily justifiable, it was the lasers because they would't be exclusive to this version of IllumiNations.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Four different types of shells have been used in the finale in the past 8 months. The finale is actually back up to 16 shells from 12 that it was for a very long time. All the other changes have been pretty steady since March.

Even though you say that the infrastructure and equipment is old, it still works really damn well on a nightly basis. The lasers might be 13 years old but they work great. I'd actually be opposed to a laser change since it would be a waste of money.
The inferno barge went 5 years without major down time before it was pulled from the show. I don't know how much work was done to the propane system and piping was done during that time. Probably not much since it wasn't planned, but the inferno barge has been out for a lengthy refurb as well as a shorter one, in the 5 years since its return.

It doesn' matter how old the technology is, as long as it still works fine, it doesn't need to be upgraded.
For me, the pre-99 lasers are superior to what we have now. Yes they were single color only, but were at least visible. All the intricate laser programming is mostly wasted with the current lasers. They might work according to their spec, but are not up to being in the show in my opinion.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

No they don't.

They work to a given budget, scope and timetable.

You really think they could tarp off WS Lagoon? Assuming they wanted to?
When I mean scrims I mean those temporary walls they use, they could put those around the lake. And about the budget, they shouldn't change anything unless they have enough money to make the next show just as good or better.

Slowjack

For me, the pre-99 lasers are superior to what we have now. Yes they were single color only, but were at least visible. All the intricate laser programming is mostly wasted with the current lasers. They might work according to their spec, but are not up to being in the show in my opinion.
I have to agree with that. The current lasers are clearly visible only where they intersect pyro smoke.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Martin, so is the version you're talking about, the one that was "shelved indefinitely" something different from what Screamscape is talking about?
Without knowing the specifics I can't really say. I did know quite a bit of what was proposed for SkyDance (the title at the time) so if anything more comes out I'll be able to say for sure.

RoE was proposed to get new lasers and some elements of the fountain system developed for WOC, though not obviously as intense. They need to do something to replace the 24 year old fountain barges currently still in use!

Alektronic

Without knowing the specifics I can't really say. I did know quite a bit of what was proposed for SkyDance (the title at the time) so if anything more comes out I'll be able to say for sure.

RoE was proposed to get new lasers and some elements of the fountain system developed for WOC, though not obviously as intense. They need to do something to replace the 24 year old fountain barges currently still in use!

Actually, the Earth Globe barge is in need of repair and refurb, not the Globe itself, but the barge it is on. Hopefully, it gets fixed before it sinks out in the lagoon.

maxairmike

I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen the show over the last two years where all the fountains were functioning at least 90%. The one on the right corner facing AA from World Showcase Plaza has been the most consistent offender, being the issue 99% of the time I've watched the show.

hpyhnt 1000

Here's another video showing even more changes. The big highlight of this is a new perimeter launch sequence for Celebration and the finale. Instead of utilizing the wall launches, pyro is shot from the 8 Bernie barges on the lagoon. No idea if this is permanent or an enhanced "Plan B" for the actual perimeter charges. Also of note is another change to the pyro for the finale, which is not as colorful as the previous product (and may be slightly smaller though its hard to tell).

Skip to 8:48 to get to the new perimeter change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom