Fireworks return to DLP

wtyy21

But with an castle pyro that don't see at DL. For me, it is great for Disneyland to utilize castle pyro for Mix Magic NYE version.

I think the Jungle book section "I Wanna be like you" EDM version is too similar to Harmonious at EPCOT, except the latter has more orchestral and traditional Indian feel.

Last edited:

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
First fireworks show since before Covid. A curious mix of old and new display techniques showing what happens when Halloween, Guy Fawkes and a dance party collide. Also showing on the 4th and 9th.

It's funny that two of four running nighttime shows in the castle parks are essentially Mickey's Mix Magic. Not that I'm complaining, the show grew on me and it's good fun. I think Mix Magic fits more in DLP to be honest, given the popularity of Electroland and that particular genre in general in Europe.

It's interesting that not only did they manage to add new pyro launch sites (in Adventureland and Discoveryland, I believe) but also use the big guns (bigger and louder fireworks shells). I'm assuming they had special permission given the strict French regulations on pyrotechnics (only big shells on New Years' Eve and Bastille Day). I also noticed that the low foreground and Main Street searchlights installed for the Halloween party were used. Are they a permanent installation now, or just leftover tech that will eventually be moved backstage?

wtyy21

It's funny that two of four running nighttime shows in the castle parks are essentially Mickey's Mix Magic. Not that I'm complaining, the show grew on me and it's good fun. I think Mix Magic fits more in DLP to be honest, given the popularity of Electroland and that particular genre in general in Europe.

It's interesting that not only did they manage to add new pyro launch sites (in Adventureland and Discoveryland, I believe) but also use the big guns (bigger and louder fireworks shells). I'm assuming they had special permission given the strict French regulations on pyrotechnics (only big shells on New Years' Eve and Bastille Day). I also noticed that the low foreground and Main Street searchlights installed for the Halloween party were used. Are they a permanent installation now, or just leftover tech that will eventually be moved backstage?

I suspect there will be permanent installation for searchlights since the 30th Anniversary nighttime spectacular will involve much more searchlights in the Sleeping Beauty Castle than ever before (akin to Illuminate or Celebrate! Tokyo Disneyland, as well as upcoming Cherish the Dreams at HKDL), as well as addition of Main street searchlights (think Main street projections that will be also installed).

The big shell fireworks sounds more interesting, because they can utilize some of the new fireworks launchpad at the 30th fireworks show next year, also given special permission.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
I suspect there will be permanent installation for searchlights since the 30th Anniversary nighttime spectacular will involve much more searchlights in the Sleeping Beauty Castle than ever before (akin to Illuminate or Celebrate! Tokyo Disneyland, as well as upcoming Cherish the Dreams at HKDL), as well as addition of Main street searchlights (think Main street projections that will be also installed).

The big shell fireworks sounds more interesting, because they can utilize some of the new fireworks launchpad at the 30th fireworks show next year, also given special permission.
Damn, David Duffy doesn't play around! Though I do wonder if something was cut from the 30th entertainment because of the rather large investment in the nighttime spectaculars area (unless it was planned pre-pandemic). Could it be the rumored Kevin and Jody-designed parade?

J4546

I know this is totally in the minority but I would be fine if they got rid of fireworks all together after reading about how theyre made

coruscant

If they plan to have a daily nighttime show like they had since 2012 (Dreams and Illuminations), I don't believe they can use the new launch pads and big shells, even if they have moved them to the sides. It's still close to the town behind the park and they would need a daily permit to use them which I don't believe they will have. The restriction applies to the full Disneyland Park (not the rest of the Resort) so moving them will not solve the problem.
The big problem in Paris is the summer time since they can only launch fireworks at 11 pm due to the long daylight hours in June, July and August. In any other Disney Resort they can launch fireworks earlier any time of the year. So I imagine they will keep the low fireworks from the rooftops of Fantasyland as the only fireworks used for whatever nighttime show they will present for the 30th.
As for the searchlights, I think they were only used for the Halloween party and now for these three shows. I suspect they will be removed after but you never know. It would be great to have more searchlights than the 10 fixed ones they have at the moment.

wtyy21

If they plan to have a daily nighttime show like they had since 2012 (Dreams and Illuminations), I don't believe they can use the new launch pads and big shells, even if they have moved them to the sides. It's still close to the town behind the park and they would need a daily permit to use them which I don't believe they will have. The restriction applies to the full Disneyland Park (not the rest of the Resort) so moving them will not solve the problem.
The big problem in Paris is the summer time since they can only launch fireworks at 11 pm due to the long daylight hours in June, July and August. In any other Disney Resort they can launch fireworks earlier any time of the year. So I imagine they will keep the low fireworks from the rooftops of Fantasyland as the only fireworks used for whatever nighttime show they will present for the 30th.
As for the searchlights, I think they were only used for the Halloween party and now for these three shows. I suspect they will be removed after but you never know. It would be great to have more searchlights than the 10 fixed ones they have at the moment.

Regardless whether high fireworks can be included or not on select nights, the 30th nighttime spectacular would be great if they installed 32 high-powered searchlights, in addition of 10 fixed searchlights, in the newly-refurbished Sleeping Beauty Castle, with each side (left and right side) placed 16 searchlights.

I think the placement of searchlights at Disneyland castle in Anaheim can be good to be considered at Paris 30th show, as seen in this image.
EJYzGlbVUAArA4A.jpeg

TTA94

How is it that Paris got, or will be getting MS search lights and MK at WDW did not? So is Paris going to get the new nighttime parade that WDW was originally going to get to?

coruscant

Regardless whether high fireworks can be included or not on select nights, the 30th nighttime spectacular would be great if they installed 32 high-powered searchlights, in addition of 10 fixed searchlights, in the newly-refurbished Sleeping Beauty Castle, with each side (left and right side) placed 16 searchlights.

I think the placement of searchlights at Disneyland castle in Anaheim can be good to be considered at Paris 30th show, as seen in this image.
View attachment 597885
completely agree with you! I think it would even compensate not having high fireworks (as long as they don't go too far like in Shanghai which I personally think it's a bit over the top with the amount of lights). But the Disneyland ones, or even the MK type of searchlights would be great. let's see what they come up with

Last edited:

coruscant

How is it that Paris got, or will be getting MS search lights and MK at WDW did not? So is Paris going to get the new nighttime parade that WDW was originally going to get to?
I don't think so. For DLP to get an electrical parade it would mean a lot of crowd crontrol during the summer months and they didn't manage in 2012 with Fantillusion and Disney Dreams (again because of the daylight hours). Having an electrical parade at 10:30 pm and the castle show at 11 pm is a nightmare for them to manage. So I would very much surprise (in a good way!!) if they would come up with an electrical parade and a castle show for Paris. But who knows??

LondonTom

This looks fantastic! I actually quite like the Mickey Mix Magic soundtrack anyway, so to see a version of it with proper fireworks is great!!

Its shame we can't have the big ones all the time actually!

Its nice not watching projections too actually? (As cool as they look when used properly)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
How is it that Paris got, or will be getting MS search lights and MK at WDW did not?
Paris fans kick up a bigger stink. If the MSUSA lights are permanent remains to be seen but the additional moat lights certainly aren’t.

On the topic of Paris vs Orlando I noticed Paris is much better at thinking when it comes to having the decor strands raised to allow floats underneath.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
The rumoured Kevin and Jody-designed parade you’re mentioning is actually the new Christmas parade opening in just a few days. However, another new parade was planned for the 30th and recent rumours suggest that this one should have been a brand new electrical parade but the future of this parade is quite uncertain...
Oh wow, really? I thought they were only designing the 30th Anniversary parade! I'm surprised their socials are a bit quiet on this.

TTA94

On the topic of Paris vs Orlando I noticed Paris is much better at thinking when it comes to having the decor strands raised to allow floats underneath.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I have a feeling it’s a situation of they could have but chose not to. And it probably had more to do with obstructed firework viewing more than FoF? Very unfortunate. I hate those wreath hooks that are there now.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Correct me if I’m wrong but I have a feeling it’s a situation of they could have but chose not to. And it probably had more to do with obstructed firework viewing more than FoF? Very unfortunate. I hate those wreath hooks that are there now.
I remember reading somewhere it is because of the Festival of Fantasy floats, particularly Mickey's airship. It was bought from Tokyo, where there are virtually no horizontal obstructions on the parade route.

FestivalofFantasyParade-265.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom