Fire at DTD?

lentesta

Premium Member
Original Poster
One of our researchers sent a text message a few minutes ago saying he spotted thick black smoke and flames over near Cirque. Anyone know what's going on?

Len

nelsonj3

We are at OKW right now, and my parents just called and said that there were two cars that caught fire and exploded right in front of Cirque Du Soliel in the parking lot.

They didn't know anything else besides that, but they were on the boat from OKW to DTD, and they saw thick, black smoke coming from the parking lot, and fire crews on the scene putting out the fires in the two cars.

They are still at DTD, so I will post more later tonight if they find out more.

brkgnews

Wow. Just to quash any rumors here, explosion doesn't mean car bomb. It probably means the flames got to the gas tank.

dcibrando

post on another msg board

They were using one of those machines that eats up the parking lot and repaves it and it causes ALOT of smoke. This morning one of the machines blew up. There is no fire at DQ or any of the shops, the only thing affected was the parking lot.

WeLComeHomE OKW

thank god. i hope everyone in the parking area is okay, but im glad that none of the larger building in DTD were effected.

it must have been one heck of an explosion.

napnet

I just read on another forum that it was construction equipment (they are going to post pictures later)... evidently an asphalt layer caught fire which makes since... they are full of tar and oil which burns very very dark

jmvd20

They were using one of those machines that eats up the parking lot and repaves it and it causes ALOT of smoke. This morning one of the machines blew up. There is no fire at DQ or any of the shops, the only thing affected was the parking lot.

Milling machines do not produce ALOT of smoke when they are being used...

One blowing up... well if it did there would be smoke. But I highly doubt one of those machines would "blow up" without some other outside influence...

I just hope no one is hurt.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
well, i thought the rumored demo of DQ was finally coming true. nothing like the smell of burning tar or rubber. yummy

sbkline

I hope no one is hurt.

Given all the talk about Disney Quest closing down, I wonder if this will be the final nail in the coffin for DQ?

On a lighter and more sarcastic note, I can't wait to see all the "the evil media is out to get Disney" posts once the local news starts reporting this story. Because we all know that if the media dares to report something bad that happens at Disney, it must be part of some sinister conspiracy to make WDW look bad. :rolleyes:

JWG

I hope no one is hurt.

Given all the talk about Disney Quest closing down, I wonder if this will be the final nail in the coffin for DQ?

The place just got a fresh coat of paint (and apparently, another fresh black coat today), I don't think they have any plans to close in the immediate future.

Champion

In the source the words "blew up" gave that idea. :shrug:

You've never heard someone say something like 'my engine blew up' when something happens to the car and it starts spewing smoke? Theres no explosion happening, just a failure.

I would say the milling machine had a build up of the asphalt somewhere on it, and then caught fire.

jmvd20

Millers just grind up a set thickness of the existing paving material in preparation of the new layers of asphalt. They don't have anything to do with the actual lay down of new asphalt.

I am very interested to find out what the situation was caused by...

While asphalt will burn, it is very difficult to get it started. A simple spark or cigarette will not light it. It is even hard to get it to burn with a torch and keep it lit.

Champion

Millers just grind up a set thickness of the existing paving material in preparation of the new layers of asphalt. They don't have anything to do with the actual lay down of new asphalt.

While asphalt will burn, it is very difficult to get it started. A simple spark or cigarette will not light it. It is even hard to get it to burn with a torch and keep it lit.

A layer on asphalt on top of something hot ... like, say the bottom of the engine ... will catch fire.

The black smoke is a big clue that whatever was burning had petroleum in it, thus probably the asphalt burning.

napnet

I talked to someone who was there and it wasn't a miller but a paver that caught fire... that and a tank of some sort next to it which could be fuel or tar

Champion

I talked to someone who was there and it wasn't a miller but a paver that caught fire... that and a tank of some sort next to it which could be fuel or tar

A paver does make more sense, but those are usually a lot more insulated against something like this.

Just really wanted to add that this is such a non issue that non of the local news outlets have bothered to pick it up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom