Fingerprinting going away at gate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWG

Original Poster
Biometrics going away at gate?

It appears Disney may be rethinking the biometric process at gate admission. They were not using this technology a week ago while my aunt and mom were visiting the Magic Kingdom. This also jives with a WDW Radio podcast I was listening to that listed this as a rumor, who also mentions shutdown of this at the Magic Kingdom gate, temporarily.

I've always hated this requirement because it slows down the crowd at the gate and really requires you pay close attention to your ticket (my wife and I never cared before this started).

If this sampling/test goes well at Magic Kingdon, it appears they may not bring it back and it could lead to the elimination of the requirement at other parks/gates.

Just a rumor, but here's hoping.
I searched for this, so if I missed it - my apologies.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have heard the same rumor and unfortunately I have to clue to its validity. What I do know is that Disney has always periodically turned off the biometric scans for one reason or another.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
It's not really fingerprinting per se, but I agree with the comment that it slows the line down.

I think that with the change to tickets that expire, it has become less important for Disney to have a way to stop tickets from being transferred from one person to another. Since they expire after two weeks anyways, the temptation and usefulness is less. I could see them eliminating this, or perhaps requiring it only for APs and no expiration tickets.

Clemson

There are times, when the lines are especially long for entering the parks when management will turn off the scanners just to get guests through the line quicker and into the park.

The scanners also don't take your finger print but rather create a digital code out of the picture it takes of your finger. It assigns numbers to different points and ridges on the finger and then attaches it to that ticket.

brkgnews

I've always hated this requirement because it slows down the crowd at the gate and really requires you pay close attention to your ticket (my wife and I never cared before this started).

At one time, I thought that all tickets purchased at the same time were coded "together," so if Junior got Mom's ticket, it was no biggie.

Meh, they're going to use one method or another. No biometric scanning at Disneyland, but you need a hand-stamp for reentry, which slows not only re-entry, but also park exit if you need a stamp.

And yes, to be perfectly correct, it's some kind of kooky biometric numeric algorithm rather than a straight-up fingerprint.

Chape19714

There are currently no plans to change the turnstyle procedures or equipment. The biometric scanners are turned off during peak periods to reduce wait times entering the parks, however they are typicall re-activated later in the day.

Tickets purchased together are coded together, so it should not make a differance.

De-activating the scanners would eliminate the Ticket Tag system and therefore we would have to bring back the hand stamps for re-admission and park hopping, which won't happen.

JWG

Original Poster
There are currently no plans to change the turnstyle procedures or equipment. The biometric scanners are turned off during peak periods to reduce wait times entering the parks, however they are typicall re-activated later in the day.

Tickets purchased together are coded together, so it should not make a differance.

De-activating the scanners would eliminate the Ticket Tag system and therefore we would have to bring back the hand stamps for re-admission and park hopping, which won't happen.

Right, biometrics. That's what I meant.
MK wasn't scanning consistently, not just for periods of time. Not that I'm in the know. Just thought it was interesting as it's starting to be discussed by multiple sources.

It probably won't go away - but one can hope. Folks in my family have accidently interchanged their tickets and have had issues getting in. If they're supposed to be grouped by family/purchase it doesn't work all the time. Our last tickets were purchased at the gate at Epcot - not through a discount broker.

Empress Room

Since WDW only very recently invested the financial resources in converting the finger scans from two-finger scanners to one-finger scanners and upgrading their software, it seems unlikely that it would now abandon the scanners entirely.

There is almost always what appears to be a weekly story running in the Sentinel about Disney's continuing efforts to eliminate and reduce counterfeiting, and the conclusion reached in those stories always attribute Disney's successes in reducing fraud to the finger scanners. Therefore, unless its developing yet another technology (retinal scanners perhaps?!?) the recent time and financial investment makes me think that the scanners are staying.

MicheleK

I really wish they would get rid of the scanners all together....such a PAIN!!

I got my family 10 day plus 10 extras, no expiration date, this year. My daughter is 10 and, of course, is still growing. I bought her an adult ticket (naturally) and I do wonder in the coming years as she grows how this will effect her ticket. Another good reason (I think) to get rid of the darn things, IMHO.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
how about getting rid of this and the security theatre at the front of the park to really speed things up

Chape19714

Right, biometrics. That's what I meant.
MK wasn't scanning consistently, not just for periods of time. Not that I'm in the know. Just thought it was interesting as it's starting to be discussed by multiple sources.

It probably won't go away - but one can hope. Folks in my family have accidently interchanged their tickets and have had issues getting in. If they're supposed to be grouped by family/purchase it doesn't work all the time. Our last tickets were purchased at the gate at Epcot - not through a discount broker.
When I went in over the weekend, I was required to use the scanners.

They may have been down for Technical Difficulties. There are some issues with grouping tickets, espically when they get re-printed.

Currently, the scanners are the only way to prevent fraud on tickets. Tickets are non-transferable, and this is how Disney knows. I doubt they would get rid of a system like that, espically to go back to photos or the boxes that were once on turnstyles.

Jellyfish

I hope thats true, i know its to prove that you are ther person on the ticket, but the amount of times we've had problems with it. And it really does slow down the crowd. They should still have the barriers where you put your ticket through, but it should just read the ticket, check its valid and then let you through, its would cut the queue down a lot imo. :)

WDWRLD

Has anyone been to Busch Gardens Williamsburg recently...If you have you wont complain one bit about Disneys Ticketing system. Busch's just plain
stinks. 9 times out of 10 the fingerprint readers dont work and the employees stand there and tell you to try again all the while there are 100s of people waiting behind you to have the same problem. The tickets are printed very light on the cards, the employees blame it on "your ticket is old and needs to be replaced" so you have to go to guest relations to get in another long line to get a replacement ticket that is just as light and dosent work either.

WDWcouple

Ive never really had a problem with the Biometrics scanners.. If it does something to cut down on Fraud then I say all the better.. It amazes me how impatient people can be while on "vacation".

During Celebration 25 last year we were on our way into Epcot and this cute old couple in front of us had to use the scanner twice because it didnt read the husbands correctly the first time.

You would have thought he just told some people in the line that they couldnt go inside. Immediatly some lady behind us says "Oh my god come on!"

I had to hold my wife back from giving the people in the back of the line huffing some of her very own Disney Magic... The best part of the story.. There was a wish granter at the gate that gave the old couple a magic fast pass!

We later got one from the same wish granter who apologized becase she didnt have extra at the time and said she appreciated our patience and understanding.. She thanked my wife for not blowing up at the people behind us, which I found pretty funny.

Wow... Im sorry I didnt mean to bring out the soap box

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I don't see what is difficult sticking your fingers on the system. It is not going away.
It slows things down, and some of us privacy advocates aren't thrilled about that bit of personally identifiable information being in the hands of Disney.

wbt06

mabey i go alot but the scanners should not take any time at all. i do see people who get confused and have to repeat but i have never had a problem. just stick the ticket in put your finger on and walk on threw. easy i dont get what the problem is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom