Final Performance of 'Illuminations : RoE' Fan Meetup - Imagination Pavilion Gardens : Sept-30th 2pm-3pm

techgeek

That they are. Don’t expect to see them move too much once completed.

Does this mean that once these things are anchored in the lagoon they won't be moved on and off stage daily like previous barges? One of the things to appreciate about EF is the relatively clean and low profile show set. The Maxi barges were not small either, really. I think it was always a plus that ROE didn't come onstage until the early evening, leaving the lagoon open most of the day.

DreamfinderGuy

RoE was just not holding attendance in the parks anymore. Numbers were dropping each day from the days high to closing. People were leaving before the show started in measurable numbers. In the past guests would arrive late to see the show and attendance would go up as the day went on, but the reverse was happening. I agree with what you say, but of course seeing the numbers on paper made those who make decisions choose the decision they did.
I know someone who would continuously leave the park at about 8:30 and refuse to watch it. Same person is now acting emotionally devastated that it’s gone, which really shows how hollow some of this fandom is.

The Empress Lilly

I know someone who would continuously leave the park at about 8:30 and refuse to watch it. Same person is now acting emotionally devastated that it’s gone, which really shows how hollow some of this fandom is.
The crowds weren't there for Universe and the GMR either. Nor the guest satisfaction scores. Two years later the removal of the GMR is considered sacrilege by fandom.

I do feel a near tangible disconnect between myself, and many reading this as well, versus the crowd at large. In what we visit and admire and are there for. In EPCOT maybe more than anywhere else.

DreamfinderGuy

The crowds weren't there for Universe and the GMR either. Nor the guest satisfaction scores. Two years later the removal of the GMR is considered sacrilege by fandom.

I do feel a near tangible disconnect between myself, and many reading this as well, versus the crowd at large. In what we visit and admire and are there for. In EPCOT maybe more than anywhere else.
Sure as heck wasn't my fault. Ellen and GMR were always must dos for me whenever I went. Often multiple times in Ellen's case.

jrhwdw

RoE was just not holding attendance in the parks anymore. Numbers were dropping each day from the days high to closing. People were leaving before the show started in measurable numbers. In the past guests would arrive late to see the show and attendance would go up as the day went on, but the reverse was happening. I agree with what you say, but of course seeing the numbers on paper made those who make decisions choose the decision they did.
For ROE to have lasted exactly 20 years, this must have been a slow drip of a decline right? I've been on this site since at least 2000, We all know ROE is the Epcot Standard. Surely WSL must have had good numbers on 10PM F&W nights, POE nights.... Granted July 4th, POE, NYE prob doesn't pay the year's bills but those were ROE's finest nights!!!!!! Don't forget Epcot's 25th, 30th, 35th!

Does Epcot count the people watching ROE/EF from the FW edges or the FW-WSL Bride? The FW-WSL Bridge is where I saw ROE in 2013 so I wasn't in the middle of the WSL crowd going to the
Parking Lot/ Monorail..

Tom Morrow

Don Dorsey was also responsible for the "Three act structure" for RoE.
Structuring the show into acts is one of many reasons Reflections of Earth is more endearing and emotionally impactful than basically any other show. Many complained over the extended portion of the second act where the globe was essentially the only visual. They called it boring. While I always wished for some visual enhancements to this segment beyond the fountains, it never bothered me - it served to first give a dramatic silence following the explosive opening. It gave viewers a moment to reflect on the meaning of the show. Most importantly, it built up anticipation for the incredible third act.

All the other current shows lack such a strong emphasis on act structure and pacing. Happily Ever After is pretty good but like everything else these days it is structured like “Visual bombardment!!! - pause in action - visual bombardment!!! - pause in action.”

I haven’t seen Epcot Forever yet but I suspect it is more of the same. The Star Wars show at Studios is similar. World of Color is the same. Universal’s lagoon show is the worst of this - no pacing, no build up, just a series of segments that don’t feel connected at all and could be easily swapped out for different ones without impacting anything.

Pacing is super important in theme park entertainment.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Agree with Tom's sentiments above.

One of the many brilliant aspects of RoE was the 'acts' and how the Show did indeed tell a story through those acts.
And a grand, inspiring story at that.

It was presented at a level your typical 'once in lifetime' visiting Guest didn't fully grasp intellectually, as so many people did not realize it was telling a story to begin with.
But it was there for those looking for it and paying attention.
Each segment representing a different chapter in the story of the development of the planet, life upon it, and humanities quest.

This is what makes EPCOT....'Epcot'.
Not clip shows full of random 'Disney movie moments'.

-

Figments Friend

Original Poster
*holding onto a sliver of hope that they're dismantling the globe to display it somewhere else*

The Figment ROE merch was the only stuff I considered.
Everything with Mickey smiling and blowing out the torch was horribly tone-deaf, cartoony, and tacky.

Agree 120%.
I found the 'Illuminations' merch designs for the 'final season' awful.
The 'hip n' edgy' stylized artwork left me cold.
It would have been nice to have seen some classier options, even if only web exclusives or AP shirts.
Did they issue a Cast shirt for the final showing? Anyone know...?

'Modern Mickey' blowing out the torch happily just didn't translate well for me at all.
I am sure the designers did not intend for it to look demeaning to the Shows' legacy, but dang, it sure sent the wrong visual message to me when i first saw the designs earlier this year.
Mick looked absolutely elated to blow out those lagoon torches for good!
😠

-

Figments Friend

Original Poster
I don't understand the need to demolish. Unless there are plans to reuse the barge, It literally would cost the $0 to store the Illuminations equipment. It's not like they have to keep it inside, for the past 20 years its been outside on the water.

I am guessing the Earth Barge base unit / water craft is being reused, so the 'globe' element has to be removed.
'HarmoniUS' seems to use a similar central focal point Show element.

I too would have liked to have seen the globe remain and installed somewhere backstage or elsewhere as a display.
We have old Show and ride vehicle equipment sitting for decades out in the 'wastelands' of Property, but the 'Illuminations' globe is put to a quick disassembly.

I still want a LED light.....i KNOW someone must have salvaged those....
( goes to check eBay....)
;)

-

The Empress Lilly

I’d love to see the globe pieces installed over a fountain or something. And on the hour they open up. Wishful thinking though.
Great idea!

They should've done that in the restored Fountain of Nations. Then every evening play the music, project the images on SSE, project some light effects on CommuniCore, end with a little fireworks such as they have at the castle show, and call the whole thing Reflections of Spaceship Earth.

trainplane3

Does anyone know of any tasteful posters being sold for Reflections of Earth? Like on Etsy and such? I found all of the merch Disney sold for IllumiNations to be tacky and tasteless and refused to buy any of it, but I want... something. Users on Etsy have some nice designs, but no posters.
Alrighty then, here's what I got. Obviously still wrapped in plastic until I can find a place to put it. Miles better then the lame Mickey crap they came out with.
cxXscun.jpg

jw1WHLc.jpg

Tom Morrow

Alrighty then, here's what I got. Obviously still wrapped in plastic until I can find a place to put it. Miles better then the lame Mickey crap they came out with.
cxXscun.jpg

jw1WHLc.jpg
That's exactly the type of thing I want!

... I probably can't afford that though. Is there a print of it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom