Rumor Figment, well, to be replaced by Figment

SailorMercury

I’m encouraged that maybe they are gauging interest in the duo again, but the cynical part of me thinks this is just a nostalgia cash grab. They released a similar thing in the Tsum Tsum line back in 2018 apparently, but that hasn’t stopped the speculation people have had the last few years of replacing it with a (shudders) Inside Out attraction.

Inside Out isn’t happening. Pete Doctor shot it down. If With Figment gets the boot, Figment will still be in the attraction. Right now it could be with Dreamfinder (he’s been on quite a bit of merch recently like MagicBands and Festival of the Arts and these upcoming Funkos), and the stuff sells so there’s clearly interest. Disney knows Dreamfinder is popular, and Disney has shown recently they love banking on nostalgia. I personally think that their current V4 plan will have Dreamfinder in the end. Whether it’s Marvel based or classic based, who knows.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Inside Out isn’t happening. Pete Doctor shot it down. If With Figment gets the boot, Figment will still be in the attraction. Right now it could be with Dreamfinder (he’s been on quite a bit of merch recently like MagicBands and Festival of the Arts and these upcoming Funkos), and the stuff sells so there’s clearly interest. Disney knows Dreamfinder is popular, and Disney has shown recently they love banking on nostalgia. I personally think that their current V4 plan will have Dreamfinder in the end. Whether it’s Marvel based or classic based, who knows.
I sure hope it’s classic, I’d be worried that the “extreme” Dreamfinder with the goatee looks more like a pick up artist from that fad 10-15 years ago and would just serve to “prove” to Chapek (in his mind) that an IP should go there if the response wasn’t overwhelming. The original seems much more timeless.

Inspired Figment

I sure hope it’s classic, I’d be worried that the “extreme” Dreamfinder with the goatee looks more like a pick up artist from that fad 10-15 years ago and would just serve to “prove” to Chapek (in his mind) that an IP should go there if the response wasn’t overwhelming. The original seems much more timeless.
I agree with your statement about the original characters & attraction and how ‘that’ should be the one they go with as it was a timeless classic and never should’ve been drastically altered to begin with. Though keep in mind regarding the comic, it’s supposed to take place ‘before’ the original ride. It’s the ‘origin’ story of Dreamfinder & Figment, Hence the younger age of Dreamfinder in that particular series. At the very end we see him as his fully bearded self we know & love. So it’d be pretty pointless to make the ride an adaptation of the comic series.

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

The comic version's goatee is basically a symbol of Dreamfinder's insecurities in the first book. Once he's able to overcome the power of the "Terminal Depression Land" that is the Nightmare Nation with the help of Figment's lingering spark (his physical form being tied to Dreamfinder's belief in him and himself), he gains the full beard from the ride and keeps it that way.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
I agree with your statement about the original and how ‘that’ should be the one they go with as it was a timeless classic and never should’ve been drastically altered to begin with. Though keep in mind regarding the comic, it’s supposed to take place ‘before’ the original ride. It’s the ‘origin’ story of Dreamfinder & Figment before the original ride. Hence the younger age of Dreamfinder in that particular series. At the very end we see him as his fully bearded self we know & love. So it’d be pretty pointless to make the ride an adaptation of the comic series.

The comic version's goatee is basically a symbol of Dreamfinder's insecurities in the first book. Once he's able to overcome the power of the "Terminal Depression Land" that is the Nightmare Nation with the help of Figment's lingering spark (his physical form being tied to Dreamfinder's belief in him and himself), he gains the full beard from the ride and keeps it that way.
That makes a lot more sense and thanks for the explanation! I didn’t know it was essentially the backstory, I’ve only seen the covers, so I think I mistakenly assumed it was a “gritty reboot” like Hollywood has seemed so fond of lately. I feel a lot better about the prospects now if Dreamfinder returns!

Last edited:

brb1006

That makes a lot more sense! I’ve only seen the covers, so I think I mistakenly assumed it was a “gritty reboot” like Hollywood has seemed so fond of lately. I feel a lot better about the prospects if Dreamfinder returns now!
Please buy the Figment comics (especially the hardcover version) when you get a chance. As a person who owned both hardcovers, it's worth the read.

Inspired Figment

they better not replace him cuz he the mascot and i would be mad. i am saying no other ip i dont care if they update it but still its figment
Yeah, I agree that they ‘have’ to keep Figment. However, it would certainly be helpful not to ‘repeat’ this whole IP themed ride with Figment shoehorned in approach again…. They’ve made it a film IP themed ride TWICE now.. once where he was essentially a cameo in a mainly Honey I Shrunk/Medfield College themed ride.. and another where he’s got a larger role as shoehorned character but as an interference… stupid. It makes as much sense as replacing the Haunted Mansion with a High School Musical themed attraction.. still titled “The Haunted Mansion” but called “The Haunted Mansion: The Ghosts’ Haunt” where the HM ghosts come in & scare the HSM cast at every turn and then finally at the end there’s a big blast of air for “their best scare yet” with a mock-up graveyard with all the ghosts singing “Grim Grinning Ghosts” and have the hitchhiking ghosts gag there… where we learn.. “the Mansion really is best with happy haunts” to subtly jab at the fans/guests that went and complained about the first attempt at a needless HSM revamp to the Mansion with the ghosts put in as a simple cameo. Yeeah.. pretty nonsensical isn’t it? But that’s ‘exactly’ what they did with Figment & the Imagination ride in ‘99 & in ‘02. So ridiculous it’s laughable.

Last edited:

The Lochness Monsta

Ron Schneider said that a big reason Figment came back as the lead was because merchandising was upset they couldn’t market him with “Your” making him a cameo character. So….

Ohhhhh Ron Schneider, I was thinking at first that you said Rob Schneider. I was like what's it to him, is he going to play Figment in the live action?
The_Hot_Chick_poster.jpg
MV5BMjE1OTExNTEzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDQ3MDk2._V1_UY1200_CR82,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

In all honesty… I think we could use a lot less of live action reimaginings atm. I think Figment would work best in full traditional animation personally. But first I think they need to fix the ride before they make anything more to tie into it, personally. Then once the ride is a success again, they can make a story that directly continues off the original ride or perhaps an adaptation of the origin story comic series afterwards.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

Only way I’d really accept a live action Figment/Journey Into Imagination film would be if it were done in the style of something like Mary Poppins or Roger Rabbit. Where Dreamfinder is a live action character but Figment is a traditionally animated character. (Not one of those freaky hyper-realistic CGI creations we see in most of those “live action” reimaginings. Lol!) But yeah, full traditional animation I think would still be best IMO. (Just look at how great he looks in those little animated segments in the original attraction & ImageWorks activities)

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

That or something like the Paperman short animation style where it’s a very fine line/balance between the classic traditional animation and the CG animation we’re used to seeing (think Tangled, Wreck It Ralph, Frozen, Zootopia, etc.). But in full color (as opposed to black and white. Lol)

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

Destination D23 is having a "What's Next" panel for the parks this November.

I'm expecting nothing to be announced as always, but I'll still keep my fingers crossed regardless. We have nothing to lose now except a removal of figment.
Ultimately it all depends if management changes by then.. that or if they finally get a clue (which.. considering this is Iger/Chapek we’re talking about. Two guys directly from the problematic late Eisner era that created the problem to begin with.. I’m seriously doubting it. (They believe they already fixed the ride.. which they ‘definitley’ didnt, and that if they ever needed to fix it again.. they’d just pull another Journey Into YOUR Imagination/With Figment where they use yet another film IP theme & shoehorn Figment and/or Dreamfinder into it as a dumb cameo appearance or as an interference to subtly mock/“blast” the fan complaints about the IP retheme again… heck, that’s ‘literally’ what they were going to do until Pete Docter stopped it from happening… making him a ‘cameo’ and making him ‘the mascot of EPCOT’.. just like they planned in ‘99 with the Honey, I Shrunk IP, just this time with Inside Out )
But yeah, anyway, only time & circumstances will tell… only God knows what’ll happen. In any case, the best thing we can do is simply have faith & pray/hope for the best.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

Destination D23 is having a "What's Next" panel for the parks this November.

I'm expecting nothing to be announced as always, but I'll still keep my fingers crossed regardless. We have nothing to lose now except a removal of figment.
I would expect an EPCOT update and perhaps a generic "Spring 2022" type opening date for things like TRON and Cosmic Rewind.

I would be surprised if there is a single new attraction announced. Historically the most you can expect from an event like this would be a parade.

Inspired Figment

While not Imagination related directly, Ron's started an interview series:

Very nice! I’ve always deeply respected him as a themed performer and his experiences within the parks (especially as the meet n greet Dreamfinder with Figment along with the guy who provided the last dialogue couplets in the original ride when Chuck McCann wasn’t available.. the science & technology Dreamfinder, the fortune teller Dreamfinder, and the director Dreamfinder at the end that invites us to ImageWorks). Though some things like his views on the fans & their relationship in regards to the parks designers in about the last decade I don’t quite see eye to eye with.. despite that though, I’m really glad he’s doing things like this and hope they’re successful. 👍🏻👍🏻

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom