Rumor Figment, well, to be replaced by Figment

Mickeynerd17

No problem! Actually, if you own the Marvel Disney Kingdoms Figment comic series compilation. In the back of the book, it features concept art for both the original attraction & the comic series itself. The concept art in Zach’s post being this one drawn by Andrew Gaskill, for the opening ‘Flight to Imagination’ scene in the original ride.
I actually have the first one, and it's not there. It might be in Figment 2 then because I don't have that one, but still good to know.

Homemade Imagineering

The current plan from what I’ve heard is a version that pays tribute to the original, but at the same time isn’t a modern-day version of 1.0.

The attraction could also be dead-on-arrival depending on how EPCOT’s construction goes, but I honestly think Zach is playing games and hinting that they have plans.
Interesting. Regardless of whatever it’ll be, it sounds like it’s gonna be a huge improvement over the current iteration, which is pretty much an understatement since anything else would be an improvement (aside from Inside Out). As long as it’s free of any forced IP tie in, and they restore Figment’s original personality I’ll be happy.

SailorMercury

Interesting. Regardless of whatever it’ll be, it sounds like it’s gonna be a huge improvement over the current iteration, which is pretty much an understatement since anything else would be an improvement (aside from Inside Out). As long as it’s free of any forced IP tie in, and they restore Figment’s original personality I’ll be happy.
Figment will be in the next iteration of the ride no matter what route they take. His merch sells to well, and it would be weird to have Figment be the mascot of EPCOT with no ride or anything to his name and only merch.

Inspired Figment

Figment will be in the next iteration of the ride no matter what route they take. His merch sells to well, and it would be weird to have Figment be the mascot of EPCOT with no ride or anything to his name and only merch.
While that may be true… don’t forget about what they did with Journey Into YOUR Imagination. Figment was technically also “in it” because he sold tons of merchandise and because there was initial pushback when there was first word of the ride changing to a Honey, I Shrunk IP themed ride. Just at an ‘extremely’ lessened role, reduced to cameos. (Just as was planned for the Inside Out revamp according to Jim Hill. Which was thankfully shot down by Pete Docter.). But yeah.. I have hope we’ll get the comeback we deserve as soon as Chapek is out.

SailorMercury

While that may be true… don’t forget about what they did with Journey Into YOUR Imagination. Figment was technically also “in it”. Just at an ‘extremely’ lessened role, reduced to cameos. (Just as was planned for the Inside Out revamp according to Jim Hil. Which was thankfully shot down by Pete Docter). But yeah.. I have hope we’ll get the comeback we deserve as soon as Chapek is out.
Figment is a big money maker for Disney. If they get rid of him and make him a cameo character, it won’t be like that for long. That’s why he came back after “Your” was such a bomb, cuz the merch department got ed off that they couldn’t market him.

Inspired Figment

Figment is a big money maker for Disney. If they get rid of him and make him a cameo character, it won’t be like that for long. That’s why he came back after “Your” was such a bomb, cuz the merch department got ****ed off that they couldn’t market him.
While that’s ‘very’ true… don’t underestimate the absolute clueless/carelessness of upper management. Back when there was word of the ride initially changing to a film IP themed ride in ‘98 or so.. they got pushback even then (though not nearly as much) and didn’t listen. It’s when people saw just how drastically changed the ride was and how little his role was that they were forced to put him in a larger role. They didn’t correct the ‘real’ problem with the ride though and that was the ‘big’ mistake. Repeating the exact same thing.. yet ‘another’ Film IP themed ride with Figment shoehorned in is ‘not’ the way to go about this…

Inspired Figment

As long as Bob Chapek is still the head honcho with nearly identical values to Iger & late Eisner & Paul Pressler. I don’t see this issue being solved anytime soon.

That being said though… I will always have hope they’ll correct the issue once Late Eisner/Pressler, Iger, and Chapek’s ways of doing things are ‘finally’ gone.

Last edited:

SailorMercury

While that’s ‘very’ true… don’t underestimate the absolute clueless/carelessness of upper management. Back when there was word of the ride initially changing to a film IP themed ride in ‘98 or so.. they got pushback even then (though not nearly as much) and didn’t listen. It’s when people saw just how drastically changed the ride was and how little his role was that they were forced to put him in a larger role. They didn’t correct the ‘real’ problem with the ride though and that was the ‘big’ mistake. Repeating the exact same thing.. yet ‘another’ Film IP themed ride with Figment shoehorned in is ‘not’ the way to go about this…
The only way to go about it (and the one they current most likely are) is a version that pays tribute to the original while being a completely new experience with Dreamfinder and Figment.

Honestly, someone could say “Hey, Chapek. There was a Dreamfinder Marvel Comic once” and his eyes would turn into dollar signs as he makes dog noises and throws a ton of money at Imagineering to redo the ride.

Inspired Figment

Honestly, someone could say “Hey, Chapek. There was a Dreamfinder Marvel Comic once” and his eyes would turn into dollar signs as he makes dog noises and throws a ton of money at Imagineering to redo the ride.
‘Yet’, when they released those and it ended up being the highest selling Marvel comics series not based of a pre-existing Marvel franchise in decades. They ‘still’ didn’t budge…. ‘That’ my friends is why people like Josh Shipley, Tony Baxter, and many others left starting then. Current Upper management is only going to view Disney through their limited viewpoint. They don’t even care about what sells, they care about what makes ‘their’ vision & greenlit creations of Disney more prominent.

Little do they know if they truly respected ‘Disney’ and not just themselves & quarterly earnings and realized how much good it’d do them if they supported the values & spirit Walt set in place (which was nearly perfectly present in the original EPCOT Center). They’d make a lot more profit long term & improve their political positions within the company..

Last edited:

180º

I’ve been holding in this comment for two years.

Ready?

This thread’s title should be “Figment to be replaced by, well, Figment.” It’s a subtle difference in meaning that has bugged me every time I looked at this thread. Since this thread is meandering a bit I thought I’d share with the class.

I feel better now. :) Oh, and for the record, they’d be crazy to reduce Figment’s representation in the parks now that he’s almost a brand of his own.

SailorMercury

Ready?

This thread’s title should be “Figment to be replaced by, well, Figment.” It’s a subtle difference in meaning that has bugged me every time I looked at this thread. Since this thread is meandering a bit I thought I’d share with the class.

I feel better now. :) Oh, and for the record, they’d be crazy to reduce Figment’s representation in the parks now that he’s almost a brand of his own.
“I loved Figment when I was younger” - my Mother, who was a teen in the 80’s and never visited a Disney Park.

Figment’s impact is super strong and always has been. Disney reducing figment would be merchandise suicide for EPCOT. You can’t market Elsa and Rocket Raccoon because Target and Walmart already market them to pieces. You can try to make “Cosmic Rewind” or “Ever After” merch, but at the end of the day it’s the same basic toys they’re already selling with a different sticker on the box. The quicker Disney learns that park-made IP is maximum profit in the long run, the quicker the company will heal.

Mac Tonight

Ready?

The thread title has always read funky to me too...

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
So....uh....someone on Insta just leaked a ton of Funko Pops supposedly coming later this year and one of them has me VERY INTRIGUED.

I’m encouraged that maybe they are gauging interest in the duo again, but the cynical part of me thinks this is just a nostalgia cash grab. They released a similar thing in the Tsum Tsum line back in 2018 apparently, but that hasn’t stopped the speculation people have had the last few years of replacing it with a (shudders) Inside Out attraction.

Thelazer

So what your saying here, is that Golden Dreams movie from Amercian Adventure, will be replaced with a I.P Filled Film that really has nothing to do with the show, except Figment will show up waving an American flag?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom