Rumor Figment, well, to be replaced by Figment

toonaspie

I think that’s a little drastic coming from someone who’s is younger than the current incarnation of the attraction.

I'm as old as that ride (give or take a year) and I'm not very optimistic about Imagination's future either, no matter how much I want it to be otherwise. Disney will eventually find an IP to consider replacing the whole thing altogether and Inside Out seems like the most likely candidate atm.

Still baffles me that we've been stuck on the same lukewarm version of this ride in the same timeframe that SSE will have gone through two major refurbs (provided the upcoming one is still happening of course).

Homemade Imagineering

Do you all think it’s a possibility that we may see figment go into seasonal operation (similar to a stitch situation) once the Park reopens, since the attraction isn’t visited by many and Disney isn’t doing to well at them moment due to COVID-19? Not saying it would be an indication of replacement anytime soon, since Imagination isn’t gonna get any type of replacement any time soon, but rather abandonment for a long while, if Disney finds seasonal unnecessary at some point like stitch.

pdude81

Social distancing us near impossible in WS and the parks won't be open late anyway, so I really don't see them closing this at 3pm.

Imageworks probably wouldn't look the same though

Homemade Imagineering

I'm as old as that ride (give or take a year) and I'm not very optimistic about Imagination's future either, no matter how much I want it to be otherwise. Disney will eventually find an IP to consider replacing the whole thing altogether and Inside Out seems like the most likely candidate atm.

Still baffles me that we've been stuck on the same lukewarm version of this ride in the same timeframe that SSE will have gone through two major refurbs (provided the upcoming one is still happening of course).
I think that it’s way to early to make such negative predictions in my opinion. I understand your viewpoint, especially based on current management with the whole IPCOT scenario. The original imagination attraction has garnered a massive following among theme park fans including myself, and if Disney were smart they’d at the very least, include figment in whatever is to come, even if he’s integrated with inside out. Now we could also see an updated dreamfinder and figment attraction come to the pavilion as well, because to me nothing is ultimately impossible if in some way, management is convinced enough. After all, there were proposals as discussed early on in this thread that included dreamfinder, so at least it’s been discussed, even if proposals are almost entirely meaningless. Bottom line is, we are still quite a ways away from whatever is to become of this pavilion, but keep in mind, even though this current monstrosity has lasted since 2002, and Disney has managed to avoid it, with all of the surrounding additions being added to Epcot, such at Rat or guardians, those are just two other attractions that’ll drive guests even further away from imagination, leading Disney to almost be forced to update it, In around 5 to 7 years in my eyes.

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

The whole point of Imagineering's Journey into Procrastination with the pavilion overhaul is to try and wait for Inside Out to become irrelevant IP.

lazyboy97o

Insider reports have stated that WDI couldn’t agree on a proposal to move forward with, which is a major reason why a plan hasn’t been officially greenlit. Yes, the higher-ups have to agree to pay for it, but they can’t do that until WDI agrees on a concept.
Walt Disney Imagineering doesn’t get to set their own schedule. Not getting work done is a good way to become a former Imagineer.

Homemade Imagineering

My wish would be the ride is similar to mystic manor. It has to be trackless. It will feature Dreamfinder and Figment. I would also have Honey I Shrunk the Audience replace the Pixar shorts film.
I agree 100%! Mystic Manor and the Symbolica attraction at Efteling are in my opinion, the two closest things to the original imagination attraction as of right now, and hopefully we’ll get a revised version of the original, although current management will probably need some convincing unfortunately.

lazyboy97o

I agree 100%! Mystic Manor and the Symbolica attraction at Efteling are in my opinion, the two closest things to the original imagination attraction as of right now, and hopefully we’ll get a revised version of the original, although current management will probably need some convincing unfortunately.
I may have said this previously in this thread, but Symbolic is even more impressive when you learn that it is not a true trackless ride and therefore the ride system is a lot cheaper. It uses a guide wire system not unlike the Tower of Terror, Universe of Energy and The Great Movie Ride.

Brer Panther

I was hoping since Pete Docter told them he didn't like the idea of having Inside Out characters replace Figment, that idea was off the table. Are they really still considering it?

Homemade Imagineering

I was hoping since Pete Docter told them he didn't like the idea of having Inside Out characters replace Figment, that idea was off the table. Are they really still considering it?
Last I heard it was pretty much dead. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the reason it became such a huge rumor, was because it was one of the proposals as a replacement, but that was a while ago and proposals are just slight indications and nothing more. They’re almost meaningless.

Haymarket2008

Last I heard it was pretty much dead. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the reason it became such a huge rumor, was because it was one of the proposals as a replacement, but that was a while ago and proposals are just slight indications and nothing more. They’re almost meaningless.

I also remember hearing that it WAS a proposal but wasn't seriously considered to the degree that a lot of other contenders were.

Homemade Imagineering

I also remember hearing that it WAS a proposal but wasn't seriously considered to the degree that a lot of other contenders were.
That may have been the case as well. Also I went back on this thread and found a post where Martin said it was the only IP based proposal in existence that he knew of. Of course, like I’ve stated previously, proposals are almost meaningless, but they can sometimes be good tiny indications of discussions throughout the company, giving us a bit of an idea of where things may go, even if they’re entirely fluid and open to constant change. Now, plans for imagination can always change, as imagination isn’t slated to go down for a while, giving Disney time change plans or find another IP to build a new attraction off of. We will just have to see where things head within the company, especially in these unprecedented times right now with COVID-19. Personally, I can’t see Disney canceling this, since this attraction is a large space that needs life, unlike arguably unnecessary smaller additions around the park such as Poppins or journey of water. Imagination will probably just see a really long delay, since Disney isn’t thinking about one attraction at one of their parks at the moment.

MarvelCharacterNerd

How about Journey into Your Imagination with Mary Poppins & Figment? :) #twobirdsonestone I'm joking but actually could be kinda fun with Mary popping into chalk drawings and finding Figment there. :)

And then they could have a tea party on the ceiling. :D

Last edited:

Homemade Imagineering

Ahead of the 2017 Expo, there were multiple budget proposals for Imagination in the $280-$350 mil range. I suspect none of that is on the table anymore.
I’m sure the project will just be delayed quite a bit, and that budget was more than likely affected by current situation. This isn’t one of their main priorities right now, as they’re going to focus on completing projects that are already underway since they must be finished, but once they’re done, I’m sure Disney will begin looking at plans for imagination. Until then, it’s just a recovery process for them, and hopefully they’ll come up with a budget around that size again sometime in the next 6 to 7 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom