Rumor Figment, well, to be replaced by Figment

UNCgolf

With due respect - they wouldn't pay out for a modified spinner for England, what possible expectation is there that something more will end up here?
My guess is its delayed because with Covid, why have a indoor playground for kids with lots of interaction?

There's no expectation that something more will end up here any time soon -- I was implying that I would be okay with the building sitting empty for another 5+ years if it meant eventually getting something good. That's a trade I'm willing to make rather than being stuck with the Play Pavilion until 2040.

James Alucobond

Was pleasantly surprised that the ABC special devoted a bit of time to Tony Baxter discussing the creation of Figment and the name origin from Magnum PI. Small glimmer of hope they’re still trying to do it right.
Yes, for how tight-lipped they were about basically everything else and how focused they were on a specific narrative with regard to the future of the parks, it was something of a standout non sequitur.

Magenta Panther

The Figment AA in the Touch & Taste lab dock is still learning how to use its left arm:

This made me laugh the first time I saw it because the arm kept freezing in odd positions.

Oh my god that ride's so awful now. Some people can't stand Small World? Figment's personality and voice are a billion times worse. And look - an imaginary toilet! Guess even figments of the imagination have to take a dump now and then. :rolleyes:

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Oh my god that ride's so awful now. Some people can't stand Small World? Figment's personality and voice are a billion times worse. And look - an imaginary toilet! Guess even figments of the imagination have to take a dump now and then. :rolleyes:
Probably the cheapest thing Disney could do to drive attendance to the pavilion and turn Figment from a typical walk on to a line out the door would be to just uncover the original track, put the carousel Dreamfinder opening back in, and slap the rainbow tunnel and a few cheap interactive activities upstairs again. The nuts and bolts are there, it could probably be done within a year. Maybe even try to find a more engaging movie for the theater so it’s not just a place people go to get out of the heat or rain.

But that would make too much sense, I figure Chapek will eventually shut it down for 4-5 years, put in wall to wall screens based on an IP most people have forgotten about and relegate Figment to a cameo role. Whatever it is will probably cut per hour capacity by more than half, then they can declare victory when there’s a little longer line (like they seem to justify Mission:Space replacing Horizons).

Animaniac93-98

It's been almost 20 years since "Journey Into Imagination with Figment" opened.

Coincidently, it's been 20 years since Carousel of Progress was first rumored to be on the chopping block.

Despite the BILLIONS poured into WDW in those decades, these two attractions remain stuck in a never-ending limbo, with nothing but spotty show quality to show for it.

You'd think someone by now would have figured out the insane amount of good will within the fan community just fixing these two rides alone would do, but that's what happens when you're so obsessed with franchises and IPs you forget what's actually in your parks and why people visit them.

chad5871

Probably the cheapest thing Disney could do to drive attendance to the pavilion and turn Figment from a typical walk on to a line out the door would be to just uncover the original track, put the carousel Dreamfinder opening back in, and slap the rainbow tunnel and a few cheap interactive activities upstairs again. The nuts and bolts are there, it could probably be done within a year. Maybe even try to find a more engaging movie for the theater so it’s not just a place people go to get out of the heat or rain.

But that would make too much sense, I figure Chapek will eventually shut it down for 4-5 years, put in wall to wall screens based on an IP most people have forgotten about and relegate Figment to a cameo role. Whatever it is will probably cut per hour capacity by more than half, then they can declare victory when there’s a little longer line (like they seem to justify Mission:Space replacing Horizons).
I think I heard that the original tracks were covered in with concrete and so they'd have to gut the whole thing to return it back to its original state.

Phil12

The original attraction turned into walk-on very quickly. Rebuilding it would be a huge mistake. The Figment and Dreamfinder fan base is just too small. And don't forget that Dreamfinder exudes a rather slimy creep factor that Disney wants to keep in the same relic bin as Uncle Remus.

ImperfectPixie

The original attraction turned into walk-on very quickly. Rebuilding it would be a huge mistake. The Figment and Dreamfinder fan base is just too small. And don't forget that Dreamfinder exudes a rather slimy creep factor that Disney wants to keep in the same relic bin as Uncle Remus.
Again...your opinion.

Disney has no such opinion of Dreamfinder. Stop making things up.

Phil12

You sit on a throne of lies.
Let me see if I can help you. At the Disney shareholder's meeting during February, 2005 the Disney CEO (Micheal Eisner) was asked about reuniting Dreamfinder and Figment at Epcot. Mr. Eisner said, "Well… This is an excellent, excellent question, one of the best questions of the year. This is proof positive of the lack of real power of a CEO in American corporations. It also is proof positive that I’m not the micromanager that I’m depicted to be. Because I agree with you; but I’m the only one who agrees with you. I have not been able to elicit the passion you expressed in our animation department, in our live-action department, and in Mr. Iger to my left. However, we’ll keep trying; we’ll keep suggesting. And maybe I’ll take you to the next meeting that I go to on Figment down in Florida."

As you know, Mr. Eisner left the company in September, 2005 and Mr. Iger became the new CEO. During his tenure as CEO, Mr. Iger has shown no interest in doing anything with the Dreamfinder character except to completely forget him as best he can. Bob Chapek shares the same lack of interest in Dreamfinder along with the rest of the company.

We're now in 2021 and the company continues to show a complete and total lack of interest in the Dreamfinder. However, I have a suggestion. In order to bring Dreamfinder back, TWDC needs to make a new movie based upon his former attraction. And to guarantee that the movie will be a hit, they'll have to have Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson be the star and play both parts of Dreamfinder and Figment.

I'm positive that will solve your problem. However, I have serious doubts that Dwayne Johnson would be willing to portray a character with such a well known creep factor:

peng

It's been almost 20 years since "Journey Into Imagination with Figment" opened.

Coincidently, it's been 20 years since Carousel of Progress was first rumored to be on the chopping block.

Despite the BILLIONS poured into WDW in those decades, these two attractions remain stuck in a never-ending limbo, with nothing but spotty show quality to show for it.

You'd think someone by now would have figured out the insane amount of good will within the fan community just fixing these two rides alone would do, but that's what happens when you're so obsessed with franchises and IPs you forget what's actually in your parks and why people visit them.
Didn’t the rumor switch from the carousel getting the axe to an update a few years back (don’t think it’s coming, only scene that needs an update is the final one, if it does maybe to tie to the diversity thing, each family in each era could be a different race, animatronics would need to be reskinned, but kept intact otherwise and the first scene could be left as is as a way of keeping continuity with the old versions)? I mean the rumors for JII switched from a carosel of IP layovers (Phineas and Ferb, Inside Out, the Muppets, etc) to it remaining stagnant for eternity then too. I don’t think we’re getting a return of the old ride (nor anything related to the old ride) for a possible refurb, if it ever happens at this point. I mean I could practically hear JII screaming for death on my last ride, same can’t be said for carousel.

TwilightZone

Let me see if I can help you. At the Disney shareholder's meeting during February, 2005 the Disney CEO (Micheal Eisner) was asked about reuniting Dreamfinder and Figment at Epcot. Mr. Eisner said, "Well… This is an excellent, excellent question, one of the best questions of the year. This is proof positive of the lack of real power of a CEO in American corporations. It also is proof positive that I’m not the micromanager that I’m depicted to be. Because I agree with you; but I’m the only one who agrees with you. I have not been able to elicit the passion you expressed in our animation department, in our live-action department, and in Mr. Iger to my left. However, we’ll keep trying; we’ll keep suggesting. And maybe I’ll take you to the next meeting that I go to on Figment down in Florida."

As you know, Mr. Eisner left the company in September, 2005 and Mr. Iger became the new CEO. During his tenure as CEO, Mr. Iger has shown no interest in doing anything with the Dreamfinder character except to completely forget him as best he can. Bob Chapek shares the same lack of interest in Dreamfinder along with the rest of the company.

We're now in 2021 and the company continues to show a complete and total lack of interest in the Dreamfinder. However, I have a suggestion. In order to bring Dreamfinder back, TWDC needs to make a new movie based upon his former attraction. And to guarantee that the movie will be a hit, they'll have to have Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson be the star and play both parts of Dreamfinder and Figment.

I'm positive that will solve your problem. However, I have serious doubts that Dwayne Johnson would be willing to portray a character with such a well known creep factor:

I'm a big fan of the dreamfinder character but I also believe in order to bring Dreamfinder back you will have to completely rework the character. The character envisioned in the 80's is a bit too creepy for modern standards. A younger adventure-loving Dreamfinder like the one seen in the Figment comics played by some Marvel star is the way to go. Of course whether this will actually happen or not is too up in the air to be sure about and I'm half positive the future of Figment is more solid than the future of Dreamfinder.

Inspired Figment

I'm a big fan of the dreamfinder character but I also believe in order to bring Dreamfinder back you will have to completely rework the character. The character envisioned in the 80's is a bit too creepy for modern standards. A younger adventure-loving Dreamfinder like the one seen in the Figment comics played by some Marvel star is the way to go. Of course whether this will actually happen or not is too up in the air to be sure about and I'm half positive the future of Figment is more solid than the future of Dreamfinder.
Except that comic features the very same Dreamfinder, simply younger as it’s a backstory of events ‘before’ the original ride takes place. I don’t get what makes Dreamfinder supposedly “creepy” or “outdated” compared to any other characters. Should/are Merlin, Gepetto, Lord Henry Mystic, or any other jolly or “scholarly mentor/eccentric/professor/inventor” characters with facial hair considered “creepy & outdated” or have a need for an overhaul too? Last I checked, that was never the case.. Sure doesn’t add up to me….

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

Also, considering two of the main inspirations behind Dreamfinder are Santa Claus & Walt Disney.. I don’t think either of those two have exactly gone out of style, have they?? Have they had to completely revamp the images of those 2 to be anymore relevant to people today than they were in the past? Yeeeah, that’s what I thought the answer was…

ImperfectPixie

Except that comic features the very same Dreamfinder, simply younger as it’s a backstory of events ‘before’ the original ride takes place. I don’t get what makes Dreamfinder supposedly “creepy” or “outdated” compared to any other characters. Should/are Merlin, Gepetto, Lord Henry Mystic, or any other jolly or “scholarly mentor/eccentric/professor/inventor” characters with facial hair considered “creepy & outdated” too and have a need for an overhaul? Last I checked, that was never the case.. Sure doesn’t add up to me….
I think there's a lot of misconception going on. I met Dreamfinder when I was 15, and he was in no way, shape or form anything even close to resembling creepy.

ImperfectPixie

Also, considering two of the main inspirations behind Dreamfinder are Santa Claus & Walt Disney.. I don’t think either of those two have exactly gone out of style, have they?? Have they had to completely revamp the images of those 2 to be anymore relevant to people today than they were in the past? Yeeeah, that’s what I thought the answer was…
I should add that I think the misconception is coming from him kneeling to get to eye level with younger kids. When I met him, I had my 10-year-old sister with me, but also my cousins who were 15, 9, and 5, and he lowered himself as to appear less intimidating to my younger cousin.

Inspired Figment

I should add that I think the misconception is coming from him kneeling to get to eye level with younger kids. When I met him, I had my 10-year-old sister with me, but also my cousins who were 15, 9, and 5, and he lowered himself as to appear less intimidating to my younger cousin.
Right.. as would literally any other character meeting & greeting with younger kids at the park. Lol! That misconception, IMO, is absolutely nonsensical & irrational.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom