News Figment Survey Questions are Back, But with very different/tricky wording!

Inspired Figment

Original Poster
Yes folks, the survey questions regarding Figment are back! But now they’re asking “How familiar were you with Figment BEFORE riding Journey Into Imagination?” Then afterwards, they give a rating of 1-10 on how much you like Figment personally. I’m not entirely sure if it gives you the rating question regardless of what answer you choose but I’d hope it does. If that’s indeed the case, then please folks, give the most positive feedback that you possibly can. I don’t quite understand the context of the question or if they’re trying to rig it somehow.. (ex.: If you say you “Never heard of him”. They might not give you the rating question and then decide to get rid of him if not enough people knew about him before riding. I’m not sure.) But all i can say is Take the surveys when they offer it to you! We absolutely *cannot* risk the Figment character going again and not getting the proper refurb to his attraction that it deserves. Thank you!

Attachments

• B4F8C919-EC6C-42AC-B4F1-F1C5170996E4.jpeg
    B4F8C919-EC6C-42AC-B4F1-F1C5170996E4.jpeg
    31.5 KB · Views: 597
  • 7D3EFC1F-BE4C-4DEB-B9D5-ED44CA35A9C1.jpeg
    7D3EFC1F-BE4C-4DEB-B9D5-ED44CA35A9C1.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 627
Last edited:

Inspired Figment

Original Poster
And may I also suggest... the next time you’re at the parks. *Please*, *do* take the time to go to Guest Relations and let them know how much you love the character Figment, how you feel about the changes done to the attraction, that it feels like a cheap/temporary fix to the poorly received first Institute renovations without him and that you don’t like Dr. Channing or the “Honey I Shrunk” Institute tie-in. Tieing the ride into a movie is the *wrong* solution.
That’d you’d like them to bring back an upgraded version of the the original ride or original concept with Dreamfinder, Figment, and the *original* theme/message about creativity and exploring all the creative fields that inspire you to use your imagination to it’s highest potential. This is very important folks. Get your feedback heard Even if this doesn’t work out the way we want in the end, atleast we can all say we went and did something about it, rather than simply sitting back and seeing something manifest that you strongly disapprove of. I suggest we try and start another “Friends of Figment” style movement.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

Original Poster
and if you can’t make it to guest relations at the parks itself. Write letters to them, write letters to the higher executives of both Walt Disney World and the Disney company in general. Give them proper, constructive criticism of the current version and why you feel it’s unsatisfactory. *Why* you loved and preferred the original version of the ride/*and/or* concept, why you truly feel is deserves to come back, etc. Again, I cannot stress this enough. People need to actually speak up about it. Complaining about it online isn’t going to do anything. There needs to be direct action.

trainplane3

I heard they were going to move Figment to the Adventurer's Club.
Oh, so right next to 20k, Mr Toad, and Horizons then.

On topic though, not a huge fan of this. Then again, this could be a positive thing to show people are fans of the character and get him locked into the future Imagination refurb vs whatever Pixar/DAS IP they want to cram into there.

Doesn't WDI (at least the employees) prefer Figment over the other options? I seem to remember hearing that here here.

Kman101

Well, I really loved Figment’s personality in the original. Now he’s just obnoxious. I hope they bring back his old self.

You'd be shocked at how many are fans even of the obnoxious version. I don't think he's quite as awful to some as we think he comes across. But the ride is just terrible (I feel 0 joy riding it and noticed the last time all I did was frown until the whoosh of air and all the Figments pop out). I'm glad Figment has managed to have fans regardless and without even knowing the previous version, but it does him no favors. I mean, he sells merch. Isn't that a big ole Chappie concern? Figment should be a no brainer investment. I'd probably file Figment under Chappie's "I don't get it" pile ... just a hunch.

Inspired Figment

Original Poster
The *biggest* problem with the current ride.. and the reason why Figment comes across as obnoxious in this version compared to the original one, is the very ill-conceived,short-sighted story. (This is another very important piece of criticism I’d provide to Guest Relations/Upper Mananagement when contacting them). The biggest problem with the story currently is that it’s written only in the mindset of fans that are familiar with both the original and the poorly received version in-between. So they understand the whole in-joke story. That Figment is getting revenge on stale, condescending, obnoxious Dr. Channing for his wrong way of thinking, that imagination isn’t captured by a bunch of Institute expirements, but rather something that’s set free through creativity. The only problem with this is, any newcoming guest that isn’t familiar with the previous versions is completely lost, as you barely get an introduction to either one of the characters, the joke flies over their heads, and let’s also not forget to mention, the whole title/name *and* concept of the ride is compeletely wrong. It’s not a “Journey Into Imagination with Figment” at all. It’s a backstage tour of the Institute from Honey, I Shrunk the Audience.. which is testing your *senses*, the way your mind *perceives* and *processes* things. *Not* the original message on how the creative process worked (Dreamfinder on his dreamcatging machine being a metaphor on how our mind is inspired by a variety of thoughts or others’ ideas (sparks).. and then we recombine those “sparks” to create new things. He demonstrated that process by creating his very own “figment of imagination” or creation, Figment the purple dragon. Dreamfinder was both the guide to us riders *and* to Figment on understanding what Imagination (creativity) is all about. So Dreamfinder then took us through all the creative fields/realms our minds could fully flourish in and find that key to unlock the hidden pleasures, Wonders, and discoveries in our lives. That was the entire message of the original ride. The current ride gets that *completely* wrong. Couple that with the extremely poor budget the current version got with barely any effort, scenery, animatronics, etc. compared to how full of detail, scenery, effects, and animatronics the original had. *That* is the problem. That’s why everyone needs to be *very* thorough on what problems you have with the current version and *why* the original version was so much better in your opinion. That’s the only way they'll Get it. Simply asking to “bring Dreamfinder back”, isn’t going to fully solve the problem. It’s a lot more than just the Dreamfinder character being missing. The entire attraction is the problem. The exact lesson we learned with simply “Bringing Figment Back”. It put a temporary band-aid on the issue, but didn’t fix it entirely.

Last edited:

TwilightZone

This could either be a big uh oh or a big we are considering it.

I think it's uh oh. Inside out and/or wreck it ralph are just too big of properties to pass off.

Inspired Figment

Original Poster
This could either be a big uh oh or a big we are considering it.

I think it's uh oh. Inside out and/or wreck it ralph are just too big of properties to pass off.
To be fair though... I thought about this a little harder. And I think I’m starting to understand the meaning and context behind the question a bit more. But.. what if by answering “You knew a lot about him” BEFORE riding the current ride, means you initially knew about him through the Original ride, finding out about it through various sources like YouTube, internet articles, etc. (much like I and a lot of other younger fans of old EPCOT did) and then you gave the rating that you liked him a lot - 10. Perhaps if that feedback got back to them, the angle Disney would take from it is that by bringing back the original Figment and attraction we all knew and loved would be beneificial to bringing more guests to Future World.

So folks, if you’re asked to participate in the survey, *please* do take part in it and say “You knew a lot about him” and rate him a 10. Through that, we could have a high chance of getting what we really want out of the next imagination pavilion rehab. But, also go to Guest Relations and give them your own personal feedback folks. They need to hear what we have to say. That’s the only way we’ll get anywhere with this

Last edited:

PplMover

I do try to take surveys when I can-

It’s interesting too because Figment was used with Food n Wine materials a bit this past year.

That area is in major need of something- between Journey, Imageworks, whatever is currently where honey i shrunk the audience used to be, the now DVC lounge could be moved... I know they can’t expand that building since it’s wedged inbetween soarin and Canada

Wonder what they could be planning for it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom