News Figment Survey Questions are Back, But with very different/tricky wording!

Inspired Figment

Original Poster
While I'd love to see the ride updated and bringing DreamMaker back (maybe based on the comic books?), I'd also like to advocate for bringing back being able to meet and greet with him too. I will admit I had a mild meltdown and cried a little when we went back for our 20th anniverary to find out they had retired him. It had been a rough couple of years and I had been looking forward to it as a way of coping with family medical issues.

If there was a link to the surveys so I could add my voice (and shanghai everyone else I know to do the same), I'd appreciate it.

I will say, the cast members who made a point of adding a lot of Figment flavored pixie dust to make up for it went far over and beyond to make it better though. It made my day, and yes, we made a point of stopping by guest services to fill out comment cards as a way of saying thanks.
Yes, yes! Be sure to let Guest Relations know that via going to the building in person, writing a letter, or calling. Let them know that you want to see Dreamfinder & Figment or Figment meet n greets brought back aswell. Like I said.. *every* piece of feedback they get counts, and the further we take action and make our voices heard, the more likely it’s able to happen. 👍🏻

True, but Farmer Mickey and Friends and all the classic Disney characters get prominent topiaries, too, down the spine. And Mickey usually gets the welcome signage while Figment is several topiary stops away from the entrance.

Figment doesn't appear on any of the print promotional signage for F&G like he does for F&W and Remy does for IFotA.

We've visited WDW 3 times in the past 12 months (Dec '17, 'Sep 18, Nov '18). We've seen much more Figment merch this year than the three previous years.

I picked up a Figment F&W tee in Sep this year, too.

Inspired Figment

Original Poster
Please, please, just bring it back the way it was.
I have nothing against Eric Idle. In fact, as the moon, this is very relevant:

The original Figment was better, period, and the wait times today show that.

Like I’ve been saying. The best way to get that message to disney is by letting them know via letters to upper management or trips to Guest Relations. They need to know. We’ll have a much better chance at getting it back if more people tell them. The problem is, not enough people I believe are actually vocal about it. That can change easily however.... perhaps we need to get the message out there in a more viral manner. 😉 From what I understand, there are people like defunctland, Disney Dan, etc. that also believe the original should return. Perhaps we should convince one of them to make a video about it and maybe then it’ll inspire people to be more vocal about this. Just a spark of an idea I had in mind.

Last edited:

lifeofdan

they should make the same ride with new technology such as some sort of enhanced ride system, such as a re-skinned horizons type vehicle but one that can also go fast and slow and change directions based on each scene maybe they could be themed to clouds (or something like that) and bring back the old ride with an updated "One little spark" and the same scenes just make the lighting and effects something truly unique as journey into imagination, itself, was truly unique

Obobru

This thread has made for some entertaining reading. Disney doesn't do anything with the rants logged by fanatics as they can sniff them out a mile away, they are care what the average family think as they are the bulk of visitors who don't have bizarre obcessions over figment and enjoy rides for what they are not some fantasy to go back to a time when they were a child and can't move on from it.

The survey is like the millions of others they carry out to judge normal guests opinions on various elements of the parks experience. I suspect people are reading far too much into it which may cause some of the fanatics to have wet dreams.

TwilightZone

This thread has made for some entertaining reading. Disney doesn't do anything with the rants logged by fanatics as they can sniff them out a mile away, they are care what the average family think as they are the bulk of visitors who don't have bizarre obcessions over figment and enjoy rides for what they are not some fantasy to go back to a time when they were a child and can't move on from it.

The survey is like the millions of others they carry out to judge normal guests opinions on various elements of the parks experience. I suspect people are reading far too much into it which may cause some of the fanatics to have wet dreams.
Reason #3 why I think it is an uh oh sign.

trainplane3

I think most in here realize that honestly. I'm a huge Figment (Imagination V1) fan but I get what they're doing with this survey. If enough people know who he is, he stays. If they don't, then he's gone. Nothing we can do about it.

And your last point... I got to hangout (shortly but extremely memorable) with Ron and I don't remember any messes occurring. And he was quite literally THE Dreamfinder. Maybe I have better self control...:hilarious:

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

Original Poster

Who said that average guests/families can’t have the same opinions or thoughts as fans? Hm? Also, pretty sure a large bulk of Disney’s grand appeal and sales comes from the nostalgia alone. *Most* average guests go for that feeling of being a child again. That’s the entire point of Disney... to step out of reality and feel like a child again, no matter how old you are. Like someone else here said, they simply can’t ignore the profit off nostalgia. Also, nothing wrong with a little balance or variety in the parks. That’s actually one of the reasons why they continue to do so well today. There’s a decent balance of both nostalgia and brand new things for all guests to enjoy. So I don’t see how having both nostalgic and new at EPCOT is a problem.
Plus, if they truly didn’t care about the fans, why do you think they set up D23 and anniversary events biannually? Because it’s largely profitable. So in the end, regardless, they will gain plenty of profit.
And in regards to the survey. I believe this survey, if it proves that people love him and give him a high rating *regardless* of whether they were familiar with Figment prior to riding the ride or not (I think *that*’s what they’re trying to figure out). Then he stays and the ride gets upgraded with him in it. So that’s that.

JJJ

And in regards to the survey. I believe this survey, if it proves that people love him and give him a high rating *regardless* of whether they were familiar with Figment prior to riding the ride or not (I think *that*’s what they’re trying to figure out). Then he stays and the ride gets upgraded with him in it. So that’s that.

I'd actually guess that, if the majority of responses indicate that guests like figment regardless of whether they were familiar with him before riding the attraction, then that means the current attraction is sufficient in endearing firgment to the millions of people who ride the ride, and there is thus no reason to upgrade the attraction if their primary motivation is really just to push merchandise (something I don't know if I totally believe). So you'd probably want to hope for a large number of survey responses saying that people who knew of figment before riding the ride really like him and that people who only know of him after riding the current attraction moderatley like him or have no strong feelings about him.

As someone who had never experienced version one of the attraction in person, it's incredibly surprising to me how many passionate figment fans like yourself exist. For me, the new attraction is probably the one that I've done the least at Epcot, just because it's not super enjoyable with the smells and the shrill enthousiastic singing. However, there must be a critical mass of fans out there because of the sheer amount of figment merchandise at food and wine this year. What was particularly interesting is that so much of the merchandise contained the original lyrics of the attraction. I wonder if the popularity (or, perhaps, unpopularity) of this merchandise took Disney by suprise, and they're just trying to figure out why people are still so excited (or not excited) by the character and if it's the result of the current iteration of the attraction or recordings/nostalgia for the orginal attraction.

Inspired Figment

Original Poster
I'd actually guess that, if the majority of responses indicate that guests like figment regardless of whether they were familiar with him before riding the attraction, then that means the current attraction is sufficient in endearing firgment to the millions of people who ride the ride, and there is thus no reason to upgrade the attraction if their primary motivation is really just to push merchandise (something I don't know if I totally believe). So you'd probably want to hope for a large number of survey responses saying that people who knew of figment before riding the ride really like him and that people who only know of him after riding the current attraction moderatley like him or have no strong feelings about him.

As someone who had never experienced version one of the attraction in person, it's incredibly surprising to me how many passionate figment fans like yourself exist. For me, the new attraction is probably the one that I've done the least at Epcot, just because it's not super enjoyable with the smells and the shrill enthousiastic singing. However, there must be a critical mass of fans out there because of the sheer amount of figment merchandise at food and wine this year. What was particularly interesting is that so much of the merchandise contained the original lyrics of the attraction. I wonder if the popularity (or, perhaps, unpopularity) of this merchandise took Disney by suprise, and they're just trying to figure out why people are still so excited (or not excited) by the character and if it's the result of the current iteration of the attraction or recordings/nostalgia for the orginal attraction.
You actually make a very good point here. However.. if that’s the context of this survey question, wouldn’t they be more specific on exactly which version of the ride?
I would think if that were the case they’d ask “Were you familiar with Figment BEFORE riding the CURRENT version of Journey Into Imagination (or Journey Into Imagination With Figment)?”.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

Original Poster
I personally wish they’d ask these questions. I think Disney would get much clearer feedback out of these, honestly.:
“Are you familiar with Figment?”
“How did you first become familiar with Figment?”
“How much do you like Figment?”
“Are you familiar with the ORIGINAL (1983-98) Journey Into Imagination (which featured Dreamfinder & Figment)?”
“If so, how much did you like that version?”
“Do you feel the CURRENT Journey Into Imagination ride is an improvement over the ORIGINAL?”
“Please tell us why you feel this way”
“Are you familiar with the ORIGINAL upstairs ImageWorks play area?”
“How much did you like the ORIGINAL upstairs ImageWorks?”
“Do you feel the CURRENT downstairs ImageWorks area is an improvement over the ORIGINAL?”

Inspired Figment

Original Poster
Anyone have the links to this survey?
It’s unfortunately a privately linked survey that’s sent via email by Disney. You can only take these if a survey taking CM approaches you at the park and asks if you want to participate in the survey. They ask you for your email address and then they send the private/time locked/temporary linked survey to you. I’ve been approached and opted to take similar ones out here at Disneyland. It’s not one you can just share a link to publicly that anyone can take at any time.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I personally wish they’d ask these questions. I think Disney would get much clearer feedback out of these, honestly.:
“Are you familiar with Figment?”
“How did you first become familiar with Figment?”
“How much do you like Figment?”
“Are you familiar with the ORIGINAL (1983-98) Journey Into Imagination (which featured Dreamfinder & Figment)?”
“If so, how much did you like that version?”
“Do you feel the CURRENT Journey Into Imagination ride is an improvement over the ORIGINAL?”
“Please tell us why you feel this way”
“Are you familiar with the ORIGINAL upstairs ImageWorks play area?”
“How much did you like the ORIGINAL upstairs ImageWorks?”
“Do you feel the CURRENT downstairs ImageWorks area is an improvement over the ORIGINAL?”

"Do you think that someone slicking back long hair really makes them look like they don't have long hair?"
"On a scale of 1 to 10, how annoying is continually high-pitched giggling (answers below 9 will be discarded)?"
"Do you prefer the original Dreamfinder or the smoking hot one from the recent comics?"
"How often have you chosen to enjoy Journey Into Imagination in any of its forms because Epcot has so few rides?"
"On a scale of 1 to 10 how surprised were you to learn that in an area of a park called 'Future Word' that there is a cartoon ride based on 'imagination' without showing how imagination has actually advanced technological innovention... because, we certainly are, too."

Inspired Figment

Original Poster
"Do you think that someone slicking back long hair really makes them look like they don't have long hair?"
"On a scale of 1 to 10 how surprised were you to learn that in an area of a park called 'Future Word' that there is a cartoon ride based on 'imagination' without showing how imagination has actually advanced technological innovention... because, we certainly are, too."
1, It’s *very* clear that the original purpose of the pavilion is to showcase what the creative process is about and all the different mediums/fields that allow us to take our creativity further which then brings us to new discoveries. Without creativity, we wouldn’t have advanced technological innovation... (PS: that point is quite literally showcased in the science portion, not to mention the entire ImageWorks area). And also, let’s not forget to mention that Art, Literature, Theatre/Performing Arts, and Science & Technology *all* are important aspects of celebrating human/world culture. *Hence* why it’s a perfect fit FutureWorld and EPCOT Center.

Last edited:

Kman101

Like I’ve been saying. The best way to get that message to disney is by letting them know via letters to upper management or trips to Guest Relations. They need to know. We’ll have a much better chance at getting it back if more people tell them. The problem is, not enough people I believe are actually vocal about it. That can change easily however.... perhaps we need to get the message out there in a more viral manner. 😉 From what I understand, there are people like defunctland, Disney Dan, etc. that also believe the original should return. Perhaps we should convince one of them to make a video about it and maybe then it’ll inspire people to be more vocal about this. Just a spark of an idea I had in mind.

I think a social media movement would be a solid idea. Lots of vloggers have thousands of viewers ... and so many of them claim to LOVE Figment ... I mean, DisneyTouristBlog/Tom used to post here under @WDWFigment or something like that ... I think it's doable but they'd all have to get on board.

Inspired Figment

Original Poster
1, It’s *very* clear that the original purpose of the pavilion is to showcase what the creative process is about and all the different mediums/fields that allow us to take our creativity further which then brings us to new discoveries. Without creativity, we wouldn’t have advanced technological innovation... (PS: that point is quite literally showcased in the science portion, not to mention the entire ImageWorks area). And also, let’s not forget to mention that Art, Literature, Theatre/Performing Arts, and Science & Technology *all* are important aspects of celebrating human/world culture. *Hence* why it’s a perfect fit FutureWorld and EPCOT Center.
Infact, that’s the reason why I feel the Original Journey Into Imagination truly was the *best* attraction WED/WDI ever built. Not even just in the context of EPCOT, but in regards to the whole Walt Disney World property. It was very technologically innovative and very well detailed for the time being, the message is both timeless & inspirational (not to mention, important & inclusive to everyone, no matter what age or from what background they come from or what field they want to get into). It’s sharing the simple yet powerful message that imagination is something that belongs to all of us, and if we learn to use it to our full potential in the fields we want to get into, we can unlock a future full of endless possibilities, discoveries, and achievements. It’s very simple to understand once you open your mind up a bit and pay a bit closer attention to it.. each portion of the ride is an abstract representation of all the little details and different parts of what can be explored in each field, showcased in a fun, lighthearted & whimsical manner. It’s done in a real tasteful way without being too “in your face”, which is a good thing. Dreamfinder’s the one guiding us, while Figment’s exploring these new, exciting realms of creativity along with us guests, until we get to the end of it and realize along with Figment, “WOW! So that’s what we can find and explore the full potential of our imaginations”. That’s why ImageWorks was such a great idea too. You were inspired to want to try and use your own creative abilities in new and innovative ways. Once you understand that, it makes perfect sense. The only thing that’d ever really have to be updated with it is the technology and ImageWorks activities overtime. The characters are charming, memorable, and appealing to the general public, and it embodies the vision and spirit of Walt Disney and the company’s legacy of being the most creative and innovative company in the world (atleast that’s the way I see it) . Add the catchy, unforgettable Sherman Brothers’ tune with it and it’s perfectly timeless, classic Disney. Tony Baxter and his team knew *exactly* what they were doing when designing and developing that original ride.
It fits perfectly within current management’s philosophy actually. It’s family friendly, timeless, and distinctly Disney. Not to mention, unique. *That*’s why I feel it deserves another breath of life.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom