Fifth gate

lazyboy97o

A fifth gate would make sense if Disney World was trying to get people to stay longer and longer.
The fourth park was supposed to do this and it did not because the amount of time people will spend in the area is limited. There would have to be a fundamental change in the demographics visiting Walt Disney World and/or in American vacationing habits.

JiminyandTink

In either case, the part where he said he has ideas that he hadn't, at the time, discussed with anyone else at the company is curious in and of itself. What were those ideas?

Who knows? Maybe Eisner was already foreseeing the eventual purchase of Pixar and thinking of something realted to that? Although, at that point Pixar had only released a couple of movies, but it was already pretty clear that they were onto something special.

Disneyhead'71

The theme of the Fifth gate is a "Villians Park". It is designed to appeal to a more thrill oriented crowd.

And I believe that Eisner meant that he would be long dead before it breaks ground.

BryceM

The theme of the Fifth gate is a "Villians Park". It is designed to appeal to a more thrill oriented crowd.

And I believe that Eisner meant that he would be long dead before it breaks ground.
Ugh. Not the "Villians Park". I would for them to do something like Tokyo DisneySea. Where everything is so raw and so beautifully themed. Something where they don't feel like they need to shove 1,000's of IPs to draw crowds. Something where they just let loose all of their creative abilities.

I think Disney's Animal Kingdom comes closest to this. It is not restrained by dozens of characters and Meet & Greets and it's such a beautiful park. It doesn't have that forced "magic" that's created by parades, characters and whimsical lands. It's very "real" and natural and stays true to it's intended message. Now they just need to get rid of Chester & Hester's DinoRama!

Disneyhead'71

Ugh. Not the "Villians Park". I would for them to do something like Tokyo DisneySea. Where everything is so raw and so beautifully themed. Something where they don't feel like they need to shove 1,000's of IPs to draw crowds. Something where they just let loose all of their creative abilities.

I think Disney's Animal Kingdom comes closest to this. It is not restrained by dozens of characters and Meet & Greets and it's such a beautiful park. It doesn't have that forced "magic" that's created by parades, characters and whimsical lands. It's very "real" and natural and stays true to it's intended message. Now they just need to get rid of Chester & Hester's DinoRama!
I wouldn't worry about it. (reread the second part of my post you quoted).

I hear great things about Tokyo DisneySea. All reports are very positive. I'd be open to a park like this.

I'd be open to a fifth park as long as it "fit". I'm not sure I can properly explain what that means to me. Maybe I'm just used to the four offerings right now, but they all work with each other and make sense to me. I remember years ago when they started airing commercials for Animal Kingdom, I was excited, thinking "I can see how that would be cool!" And it didn't disappoint! As long as what's to come, or what we hope is to come, "fits", I'm good!

lazyboy97o

The fifth and sixth gate were mentioned in this week's episode of The Season Pass Podcast which is an interview with former Chairman of Walt Disney Imagineering Peter Rummell. I'm only halfway through listening but they're discussed only as a theoretical max and not much more.

cheezbat

For all the people who think a fifth gate would just take away from the other four...it would a bit.

I think so many people look at Amimal Kingdom as doing just that, but did it really? If you look at park numbers right now, the four parks combined brought in around 45 million guests. We're MK, Epcot, and MGM bringing in that many people before DAK? Nope. More like 35-38 million. Yes it took away a bit from Epcot and Studios, but not severely.

So often people see it as unnecessary just because the current parks are all in need of help. I agree. Build them up and then consider a fifth gate.

Realistically, if Disney announced a fifth gate tomorrow, you can guarantee people would come if it looks good. Heck, I'd most likely try to be there opening day!

Disneyhead'71

For all the people who think a fifth gate would just take away from the other four...it would a bit.

I think so many people look at Amimal Kingdom as doing just that, but did it really? If you look at park numbers right now, the four parks combined brought in around 45 million guests. We're MK, Epcot, and MGM bringing in that many people before DAK? Nope. More like 35-38 million. Yes it took away a bit from Epcot and Studios, but not severely.

So often people see it as unnecessary just because the current parks are all in need of help. I agree. Build them up and then consider a fifth gate.

Realistically, if Disney announced a fifth gate tomorrow, you can guarantee people would come if it looks good. Heck, I'd most likely try to be there opening day!

Remember that with the MYW Muilti-day parkhopper admission media, the 45 million turnstile clicks of Walt Disney World's 4 parks combined DOES NOT mean 45 million people. The number of guests that visit WDW every year, in reality, just under 18 million.

But conversely the number of people that visit Universal is not the close to 14 million combined total of the 2 parks. Universal has a much larger number of day guest that actually come and buy a one day/one park pass. Therefore the number of people that visit Universal Resort Orlando is just over 9 million.

cheezbat

Remember that with the MYW Muilti-day parkhopper admission media, the 45 million turnstile clicks of the 4 parks combined DOES NOT mean 45 million people. The number of guests that visit WDW every year, in reality, just under 18 million.

But conversely the number of people that visit Universal is not the 13+ million combined total of the 2 parks. Universal has a much larger number of day guest that actually come and buy a one day/one park pass. Therefore the number of people that visit Universal is just over 9 million.

Oh yes I know this...but I was referring to turnstile clicks.

If they decided on a fifth gate, I could see them changing and upping the ticket package prices to increase profits. For instance, let's say three days costs $250 a person...a fourth day would make it $300...well adding a fifth day could be another $50 to make it $350...then a sixth day and so on could be like $10-$20 extra. It's all in how they would market things. Most people I know that visited for a week in the 90's only spent 3-4 days at WDW...after DAK opened they spent 4-6 days...add another park they might expand it to another extra day or two.

Beholder

I probably won't live to see a fifth gate, but it's fun to speculate on what may look like, theme wise. It's somewhat difficult to come up with something that doesn't already exist within the other four parks. If the other four parks had been allowed to continue to evolve with an eye towards upkeep and technology, then perhaps we'd not want a fifth gate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom