Festival of the Lion King moving to Africa

themonkeyisthesultan

That's the first I've heard of this - can anyone else speak to this?
I haven't read it elsewhere and I dont have any inside sources. It'sjust something I was told by someone who works at Pangani. The area is called the Savannah Overlook and the meerkats and the animals that used to be there are all savannah animals. The construction going on in the back has to do with building night barns for the new zebras. The other animals are already gone perminently (the gerenuk were shipped to a zoo and the maribou stork are now at the DAK Lodge.

The big problem I see with the rumor is that if would take a lot of work to change it into a lion enclosure. They'd basically have to rip everything out and start over from scratch.

drew81

Original Poster
I haven't read it elsewhere and I dont have any inside sources. It'sjust something I was told by someone who works at Pangani. The area is called the Savannah Overlook and the meerkats and the animals that used to be there are all savannah animals. The construction going on in the back has to do with building night barns for the new zebras. The other animals are already gone perminently (the gerenuk were shipped to a zoo and the maribou stork are now at the DAK Lodge.

The big problem I see with the rumor is that if would take a lot of work to change it into a lion enclosure. They'd basically have to rip everything out and start over from scratch.

I don't see lions going there. I doubt they'd get rid of the meerkats altogether.

Rob562

Pardon me for asking a somewhat obvious question but if Avatar/Pandora is somewhere between on hold and cancelled, why not leave the show up and running WHILE the new venue is under construction? This would seem to indicate that something is going into the CMM area sooner rather than later.

It may be that they need to retrofit the floats to run without the rails, like the floats do in the Hong Kong version. (Though not sure if they're manually driven, wire-guided or the trackless system of Pooh's Hunny Hunt.)

-Rob

rioriz

What??? RESTROOMS? Woooh00000! who says TDO is clueless!

Anyone know the dates of the new restrooms? Any concept art???

I need to know when to rebook! ;)

I hear they are going to be elaborately going to be themed to the new Pixie Hollow movie Pixie Hollow: Ivory Dust! There will be rock work, trees, and water features!!!!

lazyboy97o

Pardon me for asking a somewhat obvious question but if Avatar/Pandora is somewhere between on hold and cancelled, why not leave the show up and running WHILE the new venue is under construction? This would seem to indicate that something is going into the CMM area sooner rather than later.
Because then you get how ever many months during which construction is drawn out where you're not paying for a show. Then you can recast and hopefully get some new people who can be paid less than whomever has that role in the current crew.

Also, having land cleared does not really mean anything. Land was cleared in the middle of Fantasyland and left idle as the Cinderella and Aurora experiences sank. The Camp Minnie-Mickey was also cleared for Beastly Kingdom.

RSoxNo1

When we went last December we saw the male lion stand up and roar. Always see the female but rarely the male.
I'm exagerrating a bit with my post, because it's one thing to see the animals on the Safari, it's another thing to be able to take a good photo. I see cheetahs on most of the trips on the Safari, and I probably see lions sleeping on most of the trips as well. However, being able to see a lion awake, or a cheetah out of the shade and close enough to the vehicle really makes it tough for photos, regardless of the camera.

ScarForKing

I'm exagerrating a bit with my post, because it's one thing to see the animals on the Safari, it's another thing to be able to take a good photo. I see cheetahs on most of the trips on the Safari, and I probably see lions sleeping on most of the trips as well. However, being able to see a lion awake, or a cheetah out of the shade and close enough to the vehicle really makes it tough for photos, regardless of the camera.

I think I too have enough grainy, distant, sleeping blob of fur pictures to last me a lifetime. It is for this reason I had no camera the day the lion was actually awake and mobile.

RSoxNo1

I think I too have enough grainy, distant, sleeping blob of fur pictures to last me a lifetime. It is for this reason I had no camera the day the lion was actually awake and mobile.
I can't remember a trip on Kilimanjaro Safaris when I didn't have a camera. I've got a decent collection of most of the animal species, but it was done 100% piecemeal. On the most recent trip, I got my best photo of a black rhino, but most of my elephant photos were lousy.
img_3585.jpg

themonkeyisthesultan

They got new lions fairly recently and they are significantly younger than the older lions (the new male is so young his mane isn't fully grown in) so hopefully they're more active than the old lions. (I believe the old lions and the new lions rotate from one day to the next). Also, the new male isn't related to the new females so there's the chance of lion cubs down the road.

themonkeyisthesultan

Word around the park is the show will close in late January and reopen in its new location in Africa about 10 months later. Reports of where it's going exactly are unclear/conflicting, but by Tusker House seem most likely (other rumors say the train will be shut down and the show will go where the station is in Africa and there are even rumors of it going up to Rafiki's). Even more nebulous are rumors about changes to the show, but it seems like people are saying the content won't change much but the sets and costumes will be changed to be more like the Broadway show. Again, none of this is official (and I don't have any "sources"), but this is what people who work at the park have been saying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom