Festival of Fantasy Parade coming to Magic Kingdom in 2014

jrh1985

If possible, let's not get too worried about MSEP yet. While it was tragic for Spectro, maybe TDO thinks MSEP is a good fit for MK. I sure do! I loved Spectro but MSEP looks better here than at DCA. For all we know, Steve may have his hands in the rumored referb. He's giving HKDL a Night Parade, we think one's coming back to DL's parade route for the 60th, he could be giving it a little TLC.

If the rumors of the referb are true and has a return date, Does anyone else think that FOF's opening is not a good time? FOF's opening in March. Then, Spring Break, Easter, Summer. Not a good time for MSEP to go down in my mind, even if it's getting a wonderful referb.

ToTBellHop

If possible, let's not get too worried about MSEP yet. While it was tragic for Spectro, maybe TDO thinks MSEP is a good fit for MK. I sure do! I loved Spectro but MSEP looks better here than at DCA. For all we know, Steve may have his hands in the rumored referb. He's giving HKDL a Night Parade, we think one's coming back to DL's parade route for the 60th, he could be giving it a little TLC.

If the rumors of the referb are true and has a return date, Does anyone else think that FOF's opening is not a good time? FOF's opening in March. Then, Spring Break, Easter, Summer. Not a good time for MSEP to go down in my mind, even if it's getting a wonderful referb.
What would be a good 6 months for MSEP to go down then?

GiveMeTheMusic

Is there any particular reason to think that MSEP would not come back? The impression I have is that there are specific plans for rehabing floats in that parade during the 6 months off (hence why there is an actual timeframe) and that it is intended to come back. I know cynicism is common here, but is there specific reasons for concern beyond general skepticism about TDO's decisions.

I don't know if the Spectro comparison makes any sense, since that was indefinitely put on hiatus and was planned to come back in some nebulous future time.

You're assuming that the six months will be used to refurb the floats. They could just pull a Spectro and let them rot (which they're doing on their own anyway because they're FORTY YEARS OLD) and after six months be like, sorry guys! We forgot there was a swamp!

doctornick

What would be a good 6 months for MSEP to go down then?

Yeah, if they are planning a 6 month rehab, then this is probably the idea timeframe -- stop right after New Years, then be up and running for most of the summer. Any 6 month period is going to include some busy periods where it is not ideal to not have the extra parade.

Crazydisneyfanluke

Yeah, if they are planning a 6 month rehab, then this is probably the idea timeframe -- stop right after New Years, then be up and running for most of the summer. Any 6 month period is going to include some busy periods where it is not ideal to not have the extra parade.
I would think MSEP would stop near march because you would not have any daytime parade until FOF.

gonnichi

FWIW, people close to the project are telling me the MSEP refurb will bring it to the level of TDL Dreamlights. It's just a rumor for now, but it's a happy one!

I hope you are right and the refurb brings MSEP up to the level of Dreamlights. I have been to the MK with friends of mine over the past few years they all seemed to think MSEP was nothing special really. kinda short actually, in their words. I am sure they would all be impressed by seeing dreamlights in the MK. WDW needs a night parade that makes people feel amazed again.

TTA94

FWIW, people close to the project are telling me the MSEP refurb will bring it to the level of TDL Dreamlights. It's just a rumor for now, but it's a happy one!

That would be great, but honestly wouldn't they have to build brand new floats? Wouldn't it would be cheaper for WDW to buy Dreamlights from TDL?

jrh1985

I have a strong feeling one of the reasons MSEP is going down is to Test and see how well MK does with no light parade and if FOF can hold its own.
Interesting thought, seems like DL has been doing that for 14 years. Too long IMO, I wonder what they found out? For me, the real test will be between MOUACTP and FOF, unless MK has a surprise coming. Yes, MK will have MSEP,DAWM(at night I hope!) and MISICI but in my memory, this has to be the first time in MK's History without a Main Daytime Parade. MK usually ends one one day and starts the new one the next. Even when only TS, MS and the hub was available, MK still showed DDCT and CADCT. DL really moved their Parade polices around though their history. Big Day Parades only on weekends, MESP only May- Sept(got shown more in later years, almost all of 1996)/never at Christmas. Actually, DL's Christmas Polices has stayed the same their whole life, Christmas Parade in the afternoon and evening.

jrh1985

That would be great, but honestly wouldn't they have to build brand new floats? Wouldn't it would be cheaper for WDW to buy Dreamlights from TDL?
Doesn't seem like TDL wants to let go of Dreamlights. There has been new floats every few years, sitll looks good but I'm suprised it lasted so long. Dreamlights is the longest Night Parade TDL has ever had. Could TDS have an effect on that or did TDL just find that perfect parade with Dreamlights?

Oh, Fanti, my guess is Fanti is either destroyed or roting away in DLRP. Dreams is great but it shouldn't kill other things.

ToTBellHop

Interesting thought, seems like DL has been doing that for 14 years. Too long IMO, I wonder what they found out? For me, the real test will be between MOUACTP and FOF, unless MK has a surprise coming. Yes, MK will have MSEP,DAWM(at night I hope!) and MISICI but in my memory, this has to be the first time in MK's History without a Main Daytime Parade. MK usually ends one one day and starts the new one the next. Even when only TS, MS and the hub was available, MK still showed DDCT and CADCT. DL really moved their Parade polices around though their history. Big Day Parades only on weekends, MESP only May- Sept(got shown more in later years, almost all of 1996)/never at Christmas. Actually, DL's Christmas Polices has stayed the same their whole life, Christmas Parade in the afternoon and evening.
Your use of acronyms makes this VERY hard to read, but yes, it will be interesting this winter w/o a daytime parade. I'm sure there will be a lot of confused guests wondering when the 3 o'clock parade is...

TTA94

I wonder if WDW is undergoing a "Fresh Start" entertainment/parade plan? They have/are pretty much shutting down all parades, destroyed Spectro, MSEP is going under "refurb"? My guess is they know FOF will make all the current parades look ridiculous!

The question still remains why they are choosing to refurb/upgrade MSEP over Spectro... The only thing I can think of is they will destroy MSEP as well and build brand new floats. Possibly a Steve Davison "Secret Project"?

GiveMeTheMusic

Your use of acronyms makes this VERY hard to read, but yes, it will be interesting this winter w/o a daytime parade. I'm sure there will be a lot of confused guests wondering when the 3 o'clock parade is...

I know it's been a while since WDW has gotten a new parade, but at DLR there have been period recently between parades. There was a break between Xmas and Soundsational's premiere in 2011 of five months, and in 2005, the same length between Xmas the premiere of Parade of Dreams. It's part of the deal when swapping out old parades for new.

TP2000

... Same reason BPB's choreography was simplified when it moved to DHS. Disney doesn't want to pay the parade kids Equity, so you'll never see the difficult choreography from DLR at WDW.

Great explanation, thanks!

I also think the difference in choreography and displays-of-skills between Disneyland and WDW parades is due to climate. They can ask the dancers to do more energetic and vibrant routines at Disneyland because the climate is so much more hospitable in Southern California than it is in Central Florida.

There are horribly oppressive days at WDW where I don't even know how they get the parade performers to put on those costumes, wigs and makeup and walk down the parade route, let alone get them to do even the basic shuffle-shuffle-step simple choreography they do.

Plus, let's admit that SoCal has a much broader talent pool to pull from for entertainers, compared to Orlando. The difference in the, um, "look" of Princesses and other live actor characters in the parks at Disneyland vs. WDW is one big indicator of that. I'm sure it's the same for dancers and stage performers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom