Festival of Fantasy Parade coming to Magic Kingdom in 2014

The Duck

uhhhh? noooo.... none of the floats are literal scenes from the films, it's in fact the opposite, Merida never rides a giant bag pipe in Brave, Pinocchio never rides on Monstro the whale and neither does Dumbo. But I think it's a little strange that they have all these major characters from Sleeping Beauty... except Sleeping Beauty
It does seem strange but when you watch the film, Aurora has relatively little screen time compared to the "Supporting" cast. Most of the scenes involve the Fairies, Maleficent and Phillip. Even Kings Stefan and Hubert have more developed characters than her and this is coming from a "Sleeping Beauty" fan.

SpectroMan93

For me, it's that several units are very fledged out (Tangled, Peter Pan, Maleficent, Pinocchio/Dumbo), but a few don't seem quite complete (Little Mermaid and Brave). Both lack the level of energy and interactivity of the other units, Brave more so than Little Mermaid.

Little Mermaid's problem is an easier fix of adding more dancers and choreography (though a thought did spring into my head that a daytime version of SpectroMagic's Ursula would be a great addition, but that's a bit more conceptual). Brave's issue is more float based. Compared to the moving elements in the other floats, it is easily the most boring float in FOF. Which is a shame, because it has a really unique float design, and in concept, I loved it. If there were props/smaller units surrounding the float with kinetic elements, I think the static nature of the Brave float wouldn't be an issue. Neither unit is in any way bad by itself, but combined with the rest of the units, they need more than what is currently there.

tcsnwhite

Nothing at all wrong with criticism. As a matter of fact, I had my own criticism of the dragon float since you can see the driver. Others may not have an issue there. Everyone's opinion. However, if you go back to other posts from yesterday, or better yet, posts from days before anyone ever saw the parade, you will be able to see clear negativity towards this and other products. If anyone feels I called them out on comments, then that is their own conscience getting to them. Very true, criticism does not equal negativity but bashing something that someone knows nothing about is not criticism, but pure negativity. I hope those that do understand the creative process or can appreciate what is being done for millions of guests can thoroughly enjoy this production.

Hmmm... I saw no "bashing" of anything really, either when it premiered or days before.

Hopefully this isn't a case of TDO thinking, "Now that Steve's gone, we don't actually have to maintain the parade." Understandably, it's normal for show elements to go down. However, to have 3 down the day after the premiere is sort of disconcerting, and honestly, unacceptable.

*EDIT: Just saw on Twitter that the fire-effect is still working. Also, @mnelson3 is correct, the fairies are now using the segway system. Looks like the Maleficent unit continues to impress us more and more.

Cool!!! Hopefully if little things like that are improved upon (at it was probably just that the Segways weren't quite ready), maybe a few more things will be tweaked/added.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the characters (Princesses, ending cavalcade, etc.) get some custom outfits/dresses. It would really add another sparkle to the visual.

AndyS2992

For me, it's that several units are very fledged out (Tangled, Peter Pan, Maleficent, Pinocchio/Dumbo), but a few don't seem quite complete (Little Mermaid and Brave). Both lack the level of energy and interactivity of the other units, Brave more so than Little Mermaid.

Little Mermaid's problem is an easier fix of adding more dancers and choreography (though a thought did spring into my head that a daytime version of SpectroMagic's Ursula would be a great addition, but that's a bit more conceptual). Brave's issue is more float based. Compared to the moving elements in the other floats, it is easily the most boring float in FOF. Which is a shame, because it has a really unique float design, and in concept, I loved it. If there were props/smaller units surrounding the float with kinetic elements, I think the static nature of the Brave float wouldn't be an issue. Neither unit is in any way bad by itself, but combined with the rest of the units, they need more than what is currently there.

In all honesty, I'm not quite sure why Brave got a float considering the movie is not all that great or memorable. Something much more deserving should have got it. I assume it is just pandering to kids who have only seen recent Disney movies.

But yes any problem the parade does have can easily be fixed by adding more dancers and a few more characters and a mini float here and there.

Disney Analyst

It's interesting to watch a video of Jubilation. The Pinocchio float has the same dancer costumes for the women (the kinda balloon bubble ones?) and a TON more dancers. Wish they included the ones from Tokyo, they added like 1/4 of the dancers back to that float.

SpectroMan93

In all honesty, I'm not quite sure why Brave got a float considering the movie is not all that great or memorable. Something much more deserving should have got it. I assume it is just pandering to kids who have only seen recent Disney movies.

But yes any problem the parade does have can easily be fixed by adding more dancers and a few more characters and a mini float here and there.
I agree. I feel that if Frozen had come out before Brave, Elsa and Anna would have had their own float and Merida would have been on the Princess Garden float with her 3 bear brothers. Though I do love the choreography of the highland dancers and the Scottish music from Brave is quite infectious. It's just a matter of better utilizing the material they have. I feel like there's a lot of potential for the unit to be high energy, to the point that people should want to do a jig as it passes by.

AndyS2992

Another thing that just struck me, it's already missing Aurora and Winnie the Pooh but to my sudden horror, it is also missing Wreck it Ralph :( which is quite possibly my favourite Disney movie.

All it would need is a small Sugar Rush car being driven by Vanellope with Ralph in the back with a dancer either side wearing candy or dressed as a Pac man ghosts.

Last edited:

TEAM Dasia

Im kinda disappointed on lack of theming the costumes.I mean look at some of the parades it has details on it unlike this costumes its all about how many fabrics did it used and they need to put more details on princesses costumes to make it even more authentic.thats just my downside at this point and they need more performers and the finale needs more dancers rather than characters.And some little elements.and in the pinnochio float just put back the bubbles and walla you have a finale.

Californian Elitist

Another thing that just struck me, it's already missing Aurora and Winnie the Pooh but to my sudden horror, it is also missing Wreck it Ralph :( which is quite possibly my favourite Disney movie.

All it would need is a small Sugar Rush car being driven by Vanellope with Ralph in the back with a dancer either side wearing candy or dressed as a Pac man ghosts.

Wreck-It Ralph is great, but it would be out of place in this parade, IMO. Wreck-It Ralph doesn't say "fantasy" to me.

tcsnwhite

To confirm further this photo was taken today at the parade by Ricky Brigante of ItM
BiZQpZzIAAE2MOB.jpg

Is there a website or a Flickr account with more of these photos?

tcsnwhite

For those saying why aren't Pooh or Aurora or other characters just added in... just from what I've seen with Steven Davison's work is that it's not really his style. He conceives these parades as more than just 'create a float, slap in some characters'....he really approaches it like he's creating a cohesive and seamless show from beginning to end, almost like a Broadway musical, and each unit is like an act in a story. It has to be cohesive and make sense to what each little vignette is playing out in that particular unit...and just throwing in random characters is (usually) not really his style.

As for the Maleficent unit, it's pretty clear that was conceived as a "Maleficent" unit, with her in dragon form surrounded by the iconic thorns and ravens, battling Prince Phillip and the Three Good Fairies. As was said, Aurora and her animal friends (as Phillip), which would have been very cool to see, were originally for her original Jubilation! spot at the tail end of the Princess Garden. So just slapping her in the Maleficent/Dragon unit, which is more so about the battle, doesn't really make sense...and doesn't seem like Steven's style.

Next Big Thing

I also feel Steve really likes Brave, he has included it in most his recent works. (WOC, Disney Dreams I believe has a section now, Festival of Fantasy)
Those are both easily updated shows though. Segments can be added and removed seamlessly. Not saying he doesn't like Brave, just saying that WOC and Disney Dreams both have that in common.

TTA94

I listened to the podcast from our friends over at Inside The Magic who interviewed with Steve about FOF. Steve was talking about the music saying they installed all new sound zones and the MK has the best sound system in the world now... debatable IMO lol. BUT he said its only going to get better over time as they finish it all up PAST opening! Fingers crossed!

Unfortunately he said there were units that didn't make the cut.. Alice in Wonderland being a really fun unit :(

Also Steve hinted due to it being a huge hit they will be adding even more fire to Maleficent so that it will hit wherever you are on the route!

So that is some good news! Sounds like they have been listening to the guests feedback about Maleficent! Lets hope they have been listening to other things as well.. like not all guests getting to see Elsa and Anna due to them only being on one side of the rotation lol Plus the need for more performers, characters, etc like we all have been saying!

WDWDad13

I wish the parade had or could add a large frozen float. I'm sure it had more to do with timing of designing and building the floats when the movie was out more than anything but is Merida really all that popular? (Surprised they dedicated a float to her honestly)

I think they could still add a large frozen float into the parade down the road plus it could be used in the Christmas parade as well.

Don't get me wrong I don't see it happening but that would make a great parade even better

drew81

[QUOTE="WDWDad13, post: 5982011, member: 88816"]I wish the parade had or could add a large frozen float. I'm sure it had more to do with timing of designing and building the floats when the movie was out more than anything but is Merida really all that popular? (Surprised they dedicated a float to her honestly)

I think they could still add a large frozen float into the parade down the road plus it could be used in the Christmas parade as well.

Don't get me wrong I don't see it happening but that would make a great parade even better[/QUOTE]

You never know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom