Festival of Fantasy Parade coming to Magic Kingdom in 2014

Jakester

I'm out here currently to enjoy the 2nd performance of this amazing parade. This is Frontierland over between Pecos/CBJ as of 2:20pm
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

sponono88

While I agree with you that this new parade is much, much better than its predecessor, I will not agree on the fact that it is not "groundbreaking artistically or overwhelmingly impressive." Mickey's Soundsational Parade is definitely NOT groundbreaking, but Festival of Fantasy is. It is very rare to see REAL FIRE being used in a parade. Also, what about those characters from Tangled swinging like crazy? Having seen many Disney parades around the world, I can tell you that this is one of the best I have ever seen. I don't know what you were expecting.

Oh, and with this post I am not trying to imply that I don't appreciate your comment. My question is true (and friendly).

Nothing against FoF, but it isn't exactly groundbreaking as far as fire or acrobatics. The Pixar Play Parade at DCA has had a fire effect on Jack-Jack's head since 2008. That same parade also has a float with swinging bugs, as well as twirling acrobats in the Toy Story Float. At one point it also had bungee acrobatics in the Ratatouille float but that has since been discontinued.

PPP1-080308-AVP.jpg

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Nothing against FoF, but it isn't exactly groundbreaking as far as fire or acrobatics. The Pixar Play Parade at DCA has had a fire effect on Jack-Jack's head since 2008. That same parade also has a float with swinging bugs, as well as twirling acrobats in the Toy Story Float. At one point it also had bungee acrobatics in the Ratatouille float but that has since been discontinued.
It's ground-breaking for the Magic Kingdom. This makes someone who typically only visits Disney's Florida property excited.

GiveMeTheMusic

Right - this is the first time WDW has gotten a Steve Davison-produced parade, and its the last resort worldwide to do so. While FOF wouldn't blow them out of the water in Tokyo, and many elements have been seen before at DLR, it is a fabulous addition to the MK and will provide WDW guests with plenty of new and exciting sights.

It's just a shame TDO has waited this long to bring a modern parade to WDW.

FutureWorld1982

PPP1-080308-AVP.jpg

Didn't know about those. Still, these are features that have been introduced only lately to parades. I remember very few (if any) parades using them (like fire). The Pixar Play Parade and Festival of Fantasy are the only two I know making use of real fire at this point.

DonaldDoleWhip

Problems already? I'm watching the parade now, and Anna/Elsa and Tiana/Naveen aren't rotating...meaning half of the parade route won't really see Anna and Elsa.

DonaldDoleWhip

Is there anything else?
Didn't see any fire from Maleficent either. :( And Hook's anchor was still in one position, not moving. Cinderella also didn't rotate, so I missed her (but I was on the 'lucky' side that saw Anna and Elsa).

Really liked what I saw overall (and the music was great, IMO), but I hope these effects can be maintained.

cmoliver68

Ummm, just because some people have criticisms...does not necessarily mean they are being negative.
Not everyone has to blindly worship something. It's actually a good thing to think critically and with your own mind.
And just because some of us have strong criticisms and are analyzing the parade a bit more than others, does not mean we are being negative. For some of us, theatrical design/production design/costume design/etc. is our current or aspiring area of interest or work...so we see these things with bit more of a critical eye than others.
Also, some of us follow Disney Park entertainment very closely, and have for a long time, so again, we have a bit more of a critical eye.
Critical =/= negativity.
We can be critical/see what works and does not work/look for areas of improvement, AND still love the work.

(ps. And Disney is for far more than little kids. We wouldn't even be here if it was, and I highly doubt multi-millions would continuously be spent on these VERY expensive parade productions if they were simply for the little tike set.
Disney is what it is, and achieves it's greatest work and successes when it appeals to everyone, and doesn't talk down to its audience (as even Mr. Disney himself said). )

Nothing at all wrong with criticism. As a matter of fact, I had my own criticism of the dragon float since you can see the driver. Others may not have an issue there. Everyone's opinion. However, if you go back to other posts from yesterday, or better yet, posts from days before anyone ever saw the parade, you will be able to see clear negativity towards this and other products. If anyone feels I called them out on comments, then that is their own conscience getting to them. Very true, criticism does not equal negativity but bashing something that someone knows nothing about is not criticism, but pure negativity. I hope those that do understand the creative process or can appreciate what is being done for millions of guests can thoroughly enjoy this production.

SpectroMan93

Didn't see any fire from Maleficent either. :( And Hook's anchor was still in one position, not moving. Cinderella also didn't rotate, so I missed her (but I was on the 'lucky' side that saw Anna and Elsa).

Really liked what I saw overall (and the music was great, IMO), but I hope these effects can be maintained.
Hopefully this isn't a case of TDO thinking, "Now that Steve's gone, we don't actually have to maintain the parade." Understandably, it's normal for show elements to go down. However, to have 3 down the day after the premiere is sort of disconcerting, and honestly, unacceptable.

*EDIT: Just saw on Twitter that the fire-effect is still working. Also, @mnelson3 is correct, the fairies are now using the segway system. Looks like the Maleficent unit continues to impress us more and more.

SpectroMan93

UPDATE: While the Princess Garden unit didn't rotate today, it appears the Peter Pan float was able to get the ship and the anchor to rock back and forth (the anchor a little slowly, but noticeable). Watch the video below carefully, and you get a slight glimpse of it. I'm sure there will be a better video of it later, but it appears that while some elements were down, others went up today. Hopefully tomorrow will provide a fully working FOF parade.
http://instagram.com/p/lX9G4Gq2qX/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom