Ferry dock remodel

WDWBryan

one would assume bus and ferryboat screening will be taking place there but it looks like it's all paved with no infrastructure in place unless it's hidden or they just tear it up again

Daveeeeed

I know better flow is required here, but I walked this a couple weeks ago during a Christmas Party event and the sheer expanse of pavement was shocking in person. I hope the end result has more trees or something.
No different than Disneyland.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes, from what was there, a lot is missing.

However, if this project is about making crowd flow better/making the entrance more efficient and changing the metal detector/screening configuration into something more appealing to the eye, it's worth losing the foliage imo.
Maybe we'll get hanging baskets.

Yes, the MK checkpoint was a cluttered cluster.

Kman101

Yay for the overheard pics. With the other pictures, which I completely appreciate, it was hard to see the overall change.

I'm all for greenery, but they needed to do something ... unfortunately that requires concrete

ABQ

Maybe we'll get hanging baskets.

Yes, the MK checkpoint was a cluttered cluster.
Have to say, after entering the MK 3 different time last week, by boat and by bus, it wasn't all too terrible in terms of how long to pass bag checks, even with massive crowds. Epcot on the other hand, my lord their bag check is a complete mess as there's just no space at all under the monorail track.
However, both these parks have equally horrid times in getting guests through the magic band touch points. Though Epcot's issue is mostly because they have so many touch points, but only utilize 6 or so.

JohnD

Thanks Steve.

That's certainly a very large, wide and currently empty area coming from the bus station just waiting to be utilised. Though given the finished surface I hope for more than tents or taupaulin frames.

I realize that the dedicated bricks have to remain but it now looks funny where they used to be right next to foliage. Now they're next to empty pavement. Also, this will help with security screening later on. Right now, it's a huge bottleneck before entering the park. As has already been mentioned elsewhere that is a security problem in and of itself. Something bad (won't speculate what) could happen in that bottleneck.

Kevin_W

Exactly. Given the area is finished, when the new bus checkpoint comes I'm worried aesthetically it'll look as temporary as the existing one.

Something nicer-looking would be appreciated, since this seems to be a permanent fixture at the parks. But I'm mostly excited about better traffic flow. This may be a little thing, but it bugs me - you get off the bus and walk towards the Magic Kingdom. You turn slightly right and begin walking directly towards the entrance as it beckons you in. Then you make a left turn and walk away form the entrance toward the boat dock before you get to go back towards the park.

The other 3 parks at least have security in a more-or-less straight line between you and the park entrance.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Exactly. Given the area is finished, when the new bus checkpoint comes I'm worried aesthetically it'll look as temporary as the existing one.

At least the MK mural on the floor should be visible again.

Is there not one more thing that has to be done? That wide area from the buses IS a great place for a relocated Security zone....

.... but the walking path from the Contemporary "comes in" well BEHIND it. I'm GUESSING that the Walking Path is going to have to be curved BACK towards the entrance of the new Security Zone. Which might explain the puzzling work we saw occurring right at the "bus turnaround", in late April. When we went back in Nov? It didn't look like anything actually got DONE. I wonder if they were prepping for a Walking Path "jog"?

vershine

I am sure it was long overdue for a renovation. I wondered what happen to the bricks on the walkways that were purchased by Disney fan's such as myself. We had a brick placed in this area in 1995. We went last year and it was there and still in great shape. We are going for a visit again in Dec.

Happy to say our brick is still here. It was moved from its previous location but actually is easier to find.

Attachments

• DSCN4185.JPG
    DSCN4185.JPG
    625.4 KB · Views: 70

Big C 73

If the bus infanstructure was not of the foremost in reliance, as thus constituted in the precedent years, this would have not materialized to this degree, with complimentary attributions from external world affairs in context of security.

mm121

new tents have been erected in this area

they look super temporary though, dont know why they dont just build a better looking permenant structure

does anyone know if they are going to put some type of barrier between this plaza and the walkway of the ferry where "pre-screened" guests will pass close by.

feels like a security hole to have the two streams pass so close with nothing but two short railings and some plants, that someone could toss a bag over or something

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom