Feb. 21st Star Wars land preview on ABC

erasure fan1

people moaning, this is what i was talking earlier about negativity :p

guys, count ourselves lucky we are even getting a star wars land and that disney bought the franchise and saved it from doom.

we haven't seen everything yet, your forgetting all the small additions that will be really neat.

Disney bought Lucasfilm over 3yrs ago and yet there really isn't anything new yet and the land is still 3yrs out most likely. In my eyes this is unacceptable. Why take so long with the single most popular IP in the history of the world? Were you unsure if it would be successful? Things should have been on the fast track from the moment Disney made the purchase. So for what they have shown and what they have done so far, people are underwhelmed. Unfortunately, I think Disney is counting on the "count ourselves lucky we are even getting a star wars land" attitude with star wars because they know whatever they do will be a hit. I really hope Disney proves me way wrong and what we get is beyond spectacular but for now I will remain guarded.

SCOTLORR

I think it's worth mentioning that if this land will be called 'The Star Wars Experience', the new name of the park probably won't include the word experience. So probably no Disney's Hollywood Experience.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I REALLY hope they avoid that kind of inauthentic pun. A real alien planet would not use English plays-on-words. They wouldn't even use English. Are they going for Hogsmeade-level authenticity (e.g. No soda)?

Hogsmeade lacks alcohol in Butterbeer, theres no mulled mead or sherry available.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I REALLY hope they avoid that kind of inauthentic pun. A real alien planet would not use English plays-on-words. They wouldn't even use English. Are they going for Hogsmeade-level authenticity (e.g. No soda)?
DHS isn't a really alien planet. The conceit is that you're in a movie studio, not actually on Hoth or Tatooine or wherever else. This is pretty obvious when you look at the fact that the AT-AT is hollow, the Ewok village has stage lights, and there's a canvas backdrop by the speeder bike.

FigmentForver96

DHS isn't a really alien planet. The conceit is that you're in a movie studio, not actually on Hoth or Tatooine or wherever else. This is pretty obvious when you look at the fact that the AT-AT is hollow, the Ewok village has stage lights, and there's a canvas backdrop by the speeder bike.
Right, the movie studio theme is something I believe they are trying to move away from. So in fact the fake sets, sound stages, and exposes lighting will no longer be there to evoke that feeling.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Sure, "kiddie cartoon"

JJ got the normies interested again, but Clone Wars helped sustain the fandom post-Sith and became one of the backbones of Lucasfilm Story Group's rebooted continuity. Go to Netflix. Take a step into a larger world where the Prequel era becomes more then a trio of overhated movies.

I said kids cartoon. Not kiddie. Subtle difference. I'm a Star Wars Cinematic universe fan. Like 90% of people who went to see TFA. A cartoon that aired on Cartoon Network is not "fine" for the largest and most beloved movie universe of all time. And really, most people have no interest in that cartoon anyway.

Yeah. No. Some things were cut when it originally aired but it's much more "adult" on Netflix.

I'm glad there's a group that Clone Wars appeals to. And I'm sure it had some adult themes.

My point was more that, that was the biggest and best thing George Lucas had managed with Star Wars in a decade. And it's just a Cartoon Network show that a couple million people watched. Disney saved Star Wars.

FigmentJedi

My point was more that, that was the biggest and best thing George Lucas had managed with Star Wars in a decade..
If nerds kept calling me a rapist for making movies that couldn't measure up to Empire, I'd probably shift Star Wars to a television focus too. And Clone Wars did a lot for TV animation in terms of storytelling and pushing the limits of what you could do with a CG show on a television budget. That Star Wars Underworld live-action series he planned would have done the same, but TV special-effects budgets that could match the look of the films were just out of reach. Really hoping those 50 or so scripts materialize into a Netflix show.

bakntime

Disney bought Lucasfilm over 3yrs ago and yet there really isn't anything new yet and the land is still 3yrs out most likely. In my eyes this is unacceptable. Why take so long with the single most popular IP in the history of the world? Were you unsure if it would be successful? Things should have been on the fast track from the moment Disney made the purchase. So for what they have shown and what they have done so far, people are underwhelmed.
Actually, Disney did have earlier plans to fast-track a Star Wars land. Those plans were scrapped (wisely, I believe) when higher-ups decided that it wasn't ambitious enough. Getting a $2B budget approved isn't easy, especially with so much already invested in the soon-to-break-ground Avatar expansion at AK. The plans for Avatar were approved well before Disney had acquired Lucasfilm, or they might not have even gone ahead with Avatar.

The economy had only recently bounced back by 2010-2011. Even Universal, up until the moment that they green-lit the first Harry Potter expansion in the very tail end of the 2000s, had gone through a 10 year period where nothing significant happened, unless you count the (on-the-cheap) Simpsons makeover of BTTF or the Mummy coaster. Islands of Adventure hadn't received a new attraction since its opening day until Forbidden Journey opened. I've heard that Uni Orlando's ownership was at fault for the lack of expansion, and I have no reason to doubt that, but the fact remains that competition helps drive the theme parks, and in Orlando, neither side was willing to budge during the slumping tourism of the mid 2000s. It started with 9/11 (2001) and lasted for nearly a decade. Nobody was feverishly building anything in Orlando, and it's hard to commit to big investments with uncertain economic forecasts and no challenges from Universal, which until Potter, was giving nobody a compelling reason to spend a lot of time there.

If I have the rumor timeline correct, it was about two years ago now that Disney decided to retool the Star Wars expansion plans. And as far as the movie was concerned, fan apprehension after the critical failure of the prequels left Disney a bit unsure as to how to proceed with movie sequels. When they finally decided the right way to go about the movies, they kicked their Star Wars Land plans into high gear, and got approval for something much larger than originally anticipated.

From my perspective, it's a good thing it was delayed. We could be sitting here with just a Millennium Falcon version of Men In Black attack about to open soon, sandwiched between Indy Stunt Show and Star Tours. It would have made a full-on makeover of that area of DHS a real problem. Universal's success with Potter, along with the economic/tourism recovery, was the kick in the pants Disney needed. The way I imagine it is they began to panic, rethinking the conservative approach. The timing of it all actually looks to be a boon for Disney fans, if you ask me. Over the next 5 or so years, we're getting three entire new lands in AK and DHS, which will add (conservatively), six new attractions: two new E-tickets (Avatar Flight of Passage, and Star Wars Battle attraction), three new C/D tickets (Toy Story Slinky Coaster, Pandora boat ride, and Millennium Falcon attraction), and at least one other Toy Story attraction (probably a spinner like Mater at DCA). That's not even discussing the new Soarin film with digital projection, Rivers of Light, and the he-who-shall-not-be-discussed attraction from everyone's favorite franchise over in World Showcase.

1989-1999 was a ridiculous decade-plus in Orlando. Four entire theme parks opened: Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure, MGM Studios, and Animal Kingdom, along with a slew of other new attractions at the older parks. It was fairly insane. The decade that followed was vastly different. 2000-2010 or so saw only occasional new attractions open at Universal and WDW. Some of them were pretty good, but it was mostly quiet on the Eastern front. It was a cooling off period. Things are picking back up again. And while it's nothing like 1989-1999, it's still pretty spicy. And considering that Disney will be adding three large lands in the next half decade, I can't really complain that Star Wars land should have been here already.

Unfortunately, I think Disney is counting on the "count ourselves lucky we are even getting a star wars land" attitude with star wars because they know whatever they do will be a hit. I really hope Disney proves me way wrong and what we get is beyond spectacular but for now I will remain guarded.
Just my hunch, but I don't think so. I think that may have been the way they thought until Potter opened, but not anymore. I think they realize they need to do it right for the long term sake of DHS/AK and WDW in general. I think all three of these WDW expansions (budget "issues" aside) seem to be designed with the knowledge that they need to match Universal's, both in terms of attractions and in making entire lands that are immersive and grand -- places you want to spend a lot of time and money in, by day and night.

Sorry this post was so long.

bakntime

Time will tell on that one. I feel pretty safe in predicting that Disney will run Star Wars into the ground. It's what they do.
Like they've done with Pixar and Marvel?

Give me an example of a quality property that Disney "ran into the ground." And by "ran into the ground," I mean a property that should have continued to succeed, but instead Disney found some way to make it fail.

JohnD

I think it's worth mentioning that if this land will be called 'The Star Wars Experience', the new name of the park probably won't include the word experience. So probably no Disney's Hollywood Experience.

More likely Star Wars Experience in Disney's Hollywood Adventure

lebeau

Like they've done with Pixar and Marvel?

Give me an example of a quality property that Disney "ran into the ground." And by "ran into the ground," I mean a property that should have continued to succeed, but instead Disney found some way to make it fail.

That's not what I meant when I said Disney would run Star Wars into the ground.

If something is popular, Disney ramps up supply to the point where it eventually exceeds even the most ravenous demand. I call it the Who Wants to Be a Millionaire Syndrome. I don't think Disney could possible destroy Star Wars or Marvel. But they will flood the market. TFA was a record breaking hit because it was an event. After the next few years of annual Star Wars movies, they won't be special any more.

Disney's "Star Wars is a never ending story" approach makes me a little sad. One of the things Star Wars had going for it was that it had a beginning, middle and an end. Disney is making Star Wars into just another franchise. It's less special now.

Brian Swan

The First Order ride does look anything like Star Tours, so it seems like a very odd comparison, but the the "disappointment" seems to be more about the content of the land being, what, not enough? Two rides, two restaurants, an indoor show (surely lots of merch) and what looks like tons of streetmosphere -- what's not to like? I mean, there can always be "more" than whatever is built and obviously the execution is key, but what exactly was wrong with the presentation?
I agree. I think any one of us would agree that between the 7 films and 2 animated series there is enough material to fill an entire 5th gate park with stuff left over for expansions. But that's not the decision Disney made (unfortunately). So I'll settle for a 14 acre immersive expansion with 2 new-technology rides, a live show, 2 food venues, and lots of cool shops. And in 4 or 5 years, when it's actually complete/open, I'll decide if it met my expectations or not. In the meantime, I'm looking very forward to the opening of Pandora next year...

GLaDOS

I know of nothing beyond that already announced. Rumor mill has gone dry.

You serious? They just bought 450 acres of land for a third park. Nintendo is on the way. Their CEO constantly says they'll be opening attractions every year.

Anyway, on the topic at hand, this looks great. Glad to see Disney finally making something on the level of Diagon Alley and Mysterious Island at WDW.

bakntime

That's not what I meant when I said Disney would run Star Wars into the ground.

If something is popular, Disney ramps up supply to the point where it eventually exceeds even the most ravenous demand. I call it the Who Wants to Be a Millionaire Syndrome. I don't think Disney could possible destroy Star Wars or Marvel. But they will flood the market. TFA was a record breaking hit because it was an event. After the next few years of annual Star Wars movies, they won't be special any more.

Disney's "Star Wars is a never ending story" approach makes me a little sad. One of the things Star Wars had going for it was that it had a beginning, middle and an end. Disney is making Star Wars into just another franchise. It's less special now.
I see what you're saying now. I guess I'm sort of lucky because that kind of thing has never really bothered me. Like... what the Muppets are doing now doesn't take anything away from the original series, the original movies, or my beloved Muppetvision 3D. The fact that the Simpsons has gone well past its expiration date hasn't ruined my enjoyment of the better seasons from long ago (like seasons 3-8). And the new JJ Star Trek movies haven't changed my feelings about the original series, the Next Generation, or the original/TNG films.

The expanded universe of Star Wars was already filled with comics, novels, cartoon series (Droids and Ewoks), radio dramas, video games, and who knows what else. I didn't really pay a lot of attention to that stuff, but I can't imagine that any of it would ruin the original trilogy for me. If it becomes too much with the new films, why not just skip them? Or you could pretend they don't exist, like people do with the prequels :joyfull:

But I know that a lot of people feel the way you do. Many people seem to hate reboots, remakes, and sequels for movies that don't seem to "need" sequels, but I've never felt like over-saturation has ruined the way I feel about the classics and originals they were based on. I could just be weird that way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom