Fear of public speaking

PrincessAli

Original Poster
Does anyone else here have like a MAJOR fear of public speaking? Sometimes, my fear is so bad, I start shaking almost to the point of having a panic attack. well the reason I ask is because, this being my last year of high school, I have to keep my grades up, but it just so happens I have classes that involve major speaking assignments. Anyone have any advice to help me get over that? :D

lLoveDisney99

I used to have sort of the same problem, I know it's hard to believe, but it does get better! The more you make speeches, the better it gets. I used to hate having to get up in front of people, but when I took Speech, it really helped, now it's like nothing! The first couple of times, aughh :eek: lol, but after you do it a few times, you'll get used to it. I just breathe, and remember that even though you're nervous, people probably can't even tell, and are probably just as nervous as you! I hope that helps! :)

OldKeyWest24

I feel your pain..Public Speaking sucks..but we all gotta do it...I juss get up there do what i hafta do as fast as possible and sit down. Just think other kids hafta do it too and we all probibly look like @$$es..do dont sweat it..and if you get and laughers..juss laugh with them and be like yea i did suck didnt I? evev though i know you wont! Much Luck, bud

Susan

Dawn S

Ali...I used to suffer from this phobia BIG TIME! I knew that my chosen future profession would require it, so I knew I had to get over it. Honestly, it's easier to conquer at a younger age (like in high school). I forced myself into taking speech & debate classes so that I could learn more about the art of public speaking. It was terrifying to commit to those classes, but they really helped. The speech class started out with a lesson on conquering the very common fear of speaking in public forums & it really did help me. I guess it's a little late for you to try that route though.

I don't think the typical "picturing people naked" advice ever really helped me at all, but what did help was gaining confidence in the messages I would be delivering in classes or tournaments. I would write up my speeches, practice them repeatedly with a mirror, revise them, practice more & when I was truly happy with my presentation & confident in what I had to say, it really did become easier to convey my thoughts to an audience. It's all a matter of confidence & you have no reason to lack that. You're intelligent, witty & well-spoken, so you should be proud to share your thoughts, views & opinions with others. It IS a very crippling fear, I know, but it IS all mind over matter.

Good luck hon! *hugs*

PrincessAli

Original Poster
Thank you all for the advice. It's all really weird. Some classes I'm fine speaking in but others not. I think it's the subject matter. If I really dont' know anything about what I'm talking about it's worse. :D But no speech classes for Ali....*shivers* you tryin to kill me? :lol:

Debbie

I had it so bad I could not look people in the eye. I got a little better when I had my boys. I found myself a little more confident and willing to speak up for myself. Then when I got laid off, I started going to watch my neighbor karaoke. They talked me up there and I shook so much. I was so scared. OF WHAT?
When I finished, strangers were coming up to me telling I was really good. After two or three times going, I am rid of my stagefright.
Keep practicing and after a while your self confidence should show from within.

DisJosh

Well I don't have any advice for you. All I can say is that I know how it feels. I shake and usually forget to breathe while I'm speaking. It's a horrible feeling and I feel even worse afterwards knowing everyones seen me so nervous.

kal1484

If it's in English class, just pretend you are talking to like Harold or someone. I'm comftorable speaking to krysten and mrs. wro, so I forget bout the other people and just talk to them :D

DanStat

Love it!

I personally love it!

I want to be a TV News anchor, so that might have something to do with it! ;)

I don't know, it's weird...I like getting up infront of people...it's fun!

I'm not sure what to tell you.....look towards the back of the room, it looks like you are making eye contact.

Maria

I don´t mind doing it. I´ve done it many times. My advice is: read about the topic first so you know what you are talking about; if you get distracted by looking at other´s faces, then look to a point in the horizon just above their heads, and look into that direction from side to side while speaking. You will notice that little by little, you will start looking at people´s faces without being distracted. :animwink:

Wear "serious" clothes (not too bright, not too colorful), and if you can have a cue card, make the fonts big enough so you don´t get lost in what you are reading/saying.

Good luck! :)

DisneyCP2000

This is so weird...I had to give a presentation in front of a crowd this Tues and I was fine with presenting the material. but having to wait for the guests to show up made me all queezy. I'd be excited then I'd get nervous, and then excited again. Two other employees and I would have to present a board to management, and head honchos of the bank (as high as 2 from the top!) and guests from all over the country. It was kinda freaky, but everything turned out great. Well by the time I gave my speech I was having a blast and the crowds had a good time (they were laughing and smiling - phew!). I guess all I can say is relax and have fun with it. Don't get too serious with it, or you may get all freaked out. Take a couple of breaths...and be cool about it :). Best of luck & I know you can do it!!! :king:

I attached a photo of the crowds listening to a group presenting thier board. :)

Attachments

• crowds.jpg
    crowds.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 40

SpongeScott

I'd rather address a large group of people than to talk to someone one-on-one.

Here's some advice that might help--don't look at anyone in the eye. Look at their forehead and it will give the appearance of direct eye contact.

DisJosh

Originally posted by sandjhooker
I'd rather address a large group of people than to talk to someone one-on-one.

Here's some advice that might help--don't look at anyone in the eye. Look at their forehead and it will give the appearance of direct eye contact.

I think as much trouble as I sometimes have talking in front of a large group which has gotten easier for me over time...I still find it more awkward trying to start conversation with someone one on one. Maybe I'm just anti social. :veryconfu

darthdarrel

LOL! If all else fails click your heels 3 times and say there`s no place like home,there`s no place like home........:lol:
But really,I was in drama club in high school public speaking is nothing to me.

DisneyPhD

My advice ... Be prepared. What helped me settle down when getting in front of a crowd was the idea that I knew more about the subject than my audience. My first presentations were in front of 15 other classmates in college. As a teaching assistant in grad school I had as many as 30 students. Of course my most nervous presentation was my final oral exam for my PhD where there were only 6 of us in the room. I eventually worked my way up to having 400 students at a time when I taught at Michigan State. (btw, NOT a good way to learn chemistry). It does get easier with practice.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Originally posted by DisneyPhD
My advice ... Be prepared.

I think this is the single biggest key. If you are confident about what you are saying the fact that you are saying it to many people becomes a minor issue.

It also helps if you have no shame, but I'm not sure if this is something that can (or should) be learned. Be careful though because I can tell you from personal experience that lack of shame can also lead to discussion forum postings that never should have seen the light of day.:lookaroun

Erika

Originally posted by garyhoov

I think this is the single biggest key. If you are confident about what you are saying the fact that you are saying it to many people becomes a minor issue.

It also helps if you have no shame, but I'm not sure if this is something that can (or should) be learned. Be careful though because I can tell you from personal experience that lack of shame can also lead to discussion forum postings that never should have seen the light of day.:lookaroun

Gary! That's funny. Have another brownie :lol:

I wouldn't suggest picturing people naked either. You may get distracted, plus, I hear that can be habit-forming.:lookaroun

I always had trouble practicing in front of friends & family. For some reason it made me feel nervous, plus, I felt like a bit of an idiot. It's good advice though because many people find it helpful.

The people who have said to know your material backwards and forwards are right. Nothing is worse, or more nerve-wracking, than to get up there unprepared.

Good luck and remember, as Susan said, that the people in front of you are your peers and they have to go through the same thing!

GenerationX

I have a similar feeling with regards to communication as sandjhooker. I call myself an introverted ham. I'm more comfortable speaking in front of 200 strangers than I am speaking in-person (or worse, on the phone) with 1 stranger.

Here are my keys to public speaking:
1. Expect to be nervous. If you are surprised by your nerves, you may convert your anxiety to fear. If you expect to be nervous, you can use the extra adrenaline to think faster and speak in a more animated fashion.
2. Have a glass of water. Audience members are generally not distracted or disturbed by someone who pauses for a drink of water.
3. Be confident. As others have said, know your material backwards and forwards.
4. Don't take it too seriously. If you screw up, laugh about it. If you're going to laugh about it eventually, why not now? Johnny Carson (and now David Letterman) made an entire career out of mocking his own failed monologue jokes.

Good luck and have fun with it! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom