Favorite rides/attractions?

graphite1326

favorites: Flight of Passage, RnRollercoaster, ToT.
favorites that are gone or going: Alien Encounter, The Great Movie Ride!!!!!!, Splash Mountain.

Musical Mermaid

Favorites: Enchanted Tiki Room, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Splash Mountain, People Mover, Living with the Land (that ride is just so relaxing)
Favorites they ripped out: Journey into Imagination, Great Movie Ride

There are quite a few attractions I’d replace, but I don’t know what I’d replace them with or in some cases, like Magic Carpets, I’d replace that with plants and more space. One I know what I’d replace it with is Star Tours. I’d put a Muppet dark ride there. Right now Hollywood Studios is my least favorite Disney park so it’d give me something else to do there when family insists on going.

Smiley/OCD

Yes, I really don’t know why the muppets haven’t been given anything else other than MV 3D, the guys above HoP and Sam Eagle at Epcot…no other ride…it almost seems that A) TWDC doesn’t think an additional ride would be popular or B) the falling out between Jim Henson before he passed away and Disney left a bad taste in the company’s mouth. I wish I knew because everyone I’ve ever talked to wish there were other attractions in HWD

AFoodie

Too many faves to mention, but Disney truly ripped my heart out with the closure of Horizons. Still hurts today.

As far as the rip-out/redo, it needs to be the Chester & Hester part of Dinoland U.S.A. I want them to keep the Dinosaur ride, so I want the Dino theme to remain. No ideas on what, tho.

JustAFan

I really miss Ellen's Energy Adventure. I didn't go on it in 2014 and 2017. I really regret it.
Same for me with Great Movie Ride. I didn't know my last time would be my last time. I'll have to ride Splash Mountain on my next trip before it changes. Fortunately, these rides live on thanks to Youtube.

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
Yes, I really don’t know why the muppets haven’t been given anything else other than MV 3D, the guys above HoP and Sam Eagle at Epcot…no other ride…it almost seems that A) TWDC doesn’t think an additional ride would be popular or B) the falling out between Jim Henson before he passed away and Disney left a bad taste in the company’s mouth. I wish I knew because everyone I’ve ever talked to wish there were other attractions in HWD
If I only had to choose one of your options, I gotta think option A. TWDC is a corporation and doesn't care about a bad taste in their mouth about Jim Henson. If they thought a new Muppet ride would bring in more revenue, they'd definitely build it. My assumption is that they probably think that while the Muppets are liked, they're not a draw. It wouldn't be something that would bring people in. Just my opinion.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Favorites: Honestly its a tie between Splash Mountain and Expedition Everest. Runner-ups would have to be Kilamonjaro Safari and Haunted Manison. Honorable mentions: Big Thunder, Laugh Floor (Yes I'm aware I'm like the only person), Rock n Rollercoaster, and Tower of

Heart ripped out (Challenging myself to not say Splash Mountain): Great Movie Ride. One of my favorites from 2016. Still haven't ridden Runway so I'll still be slightly sad about it until I ride MMRR.

Simba's Mom

My favorite is Kilimanjaro Safari. It's the one ride that's different every time I ride it. And I spent an entire day riding it once. This was back in the days when you pulled a paper FP. I pulled a FP in the morning, then rode it standby until my FP window opened. Rode it FP, then pulled another FP when I got off. Rode it standby until that FP window opened.....repeat.
My close second favorite is Splash Mountain. When I whoosh down the drop, I feel like all my cares and worries are flying off me (Hope that's not too corny). Trying to keep an open mind about the Tiana retheme. After all, the whoosh drop will still be there, but I'm afraid "Zip-a-dee-do-dah" will be gone.

Simba's Mom

My favorite is Kilimanjaro Safari. It's the one ride that's different every time I ride it. And I spent an entire day riding it once. This was back in the days when you pulled a paper FP. I pulled a FP in the morning, then rode it standby until my FP window opened. Rode it FP, then pulled another FP when I got off. Rode it standby until that FP window opened.....repeat.
My close second favorite is Splash Mountain. When I whoosh down the drop, I feel like all my cares and worries are flying off me (Hope that's not too corny). Trying to keep an open mind about the Tiana retheme. After all, the whoosh drop will still be there, but I'm afraid "Zip-a-dee-do-dah" will be gone.

Walt Disney1955

So true! This was probably second on my list of Disney ripping out my heart. Feeling the alien sneaking around back of your chair with the speakers right in your ears and puffs of air when he snorts... man, I miss that too. It was also one of my favorites at MK. It was an experience like no other. I agree 100%!

What on earth made them take that out? I can't comprehend it and I shudder to think it is solely based on the fact that it wasn't tied to a movie or something you can merchandise.

Here is the thing I don't get. If an attraction becomes so popular that is becomes part of pop culture then I would think it becomes something to sell quite well.

Walt Disney1955

Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain more or less in that order. It is sad that Splash is going because with the lack of creativity Disney has now (the longer we get away from Walt's death the less the imagineers seem to think the way he did) it cannot possibly eclipse the charm that Splash had. So it is a shame and I suspect it is going to be routinely thought of as the best ride Disney ever got rid of.

I love Pirates and Haunted Mansion and Splash because of the attention to detail. Also, the first two were just thought up on their own with no movie to predate it. They are classic creativity. Splash is from a movie, but that's where it ends. There is nothing in the movie like what is on the ride. They did it well.

Tower of Terror comes to mind as well for the very same reasons. The theming, the atmosphere, the music and the anticipation are all great.

Other things like Small World, Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, etc. are all masterpieces, I think. American Adventure everyone loves.

UNCgolf

Favorites: Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, Kiliminjaro Safari, Carousel of Progress

The favorites Disney replaced: Horizons, World of Motion, Seabase Alpha, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Great Movie Ride, Journey Into Imagination, Backlot Tour (original full version)

I'm probably forgetting a few rides doing this off the top of my head, but it's unfortunate that so many of the best WDW attractions are gone.

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
What on earth made them take that out? I can't comprehend it and I shudder to think it is solely based on the fact that it wasn't tied to a movie or something you can merchandise.

Here is the thing I don't get. If an attraction becomes so popular that is becomes part of pop culture then I would think it becomes something to sell quite well.
I don't know if it's accurate, but I recall hearing that they took it out because it was too intense or scary for kids. I loved the ride, so I obviously don't agree with their reasoning, but I think that's what they said. Personally, I don't think every ride has to be for everyone. Being "too intense" for kids drives me nuts. Those of us who loved the ride have to suffer so that kids don't have to have a ride in the park that's too scary. It's not that they replaced it with something less scary. The scary ride just could no longer exist. I hate that [stuff]. Why didn't they just hang a sign on the ride that said, "not recommended for kids under 13" or whatever?? That is one of the first rides I mourned. I only started going to the parks in the late 90s. Luckily I don't know what I'm missing with so many of these other rides.

Smiley/OCD

Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain more or less in that order. It is sad that Splash is going because with the lack of creativity Disney has now (the longer we get away from Walt's death the less the imagineers seem to think the way he did) it cannot possibly eclipse the charm that Splash had. So it is a shame and I suspect it is going to be routinely thought of as the best ride Disney ever got rid of.

I love Pirates and Haunted Mansion and Splash because of the attention to detail. Also, the first two were just thought up on their own with no movie to predate it. They are classic creativity. Splash is from a movie, but that's where it ends. There is nothing in the movie like what is on the ride. They did it well.

Tower of Terror comes to mind as well for the very same reasons. The theming, the atmosphere, the music and the anticipation are all great.

Other things like Small World, Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, etc. are all masterpieces, I think. American Adventure everyone loves.
Nowadays, Plussing an attraction=extra costs=a BIG NO WAY from Chappy

Dayma

favorites: Jungle Cruise, Peter Pan, PotC
favorites that are gone or going: The Great Movie Ride and Horizons

I miss The Great Movie Ride sooo much. It just gave the park that studio feeling (even though it wasn't). :(:arghh::(:arghh:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom