FastPass

Robbydj13

Original Poster
Now that fastpasses are on hold, is anyone besides me hoping they completely overhaul the system? I have hated the FastPass+ system since its debut and always thought it limited what I could do. It seemed to help the first timers but hurt those with any experience. I wouldnt mind a paid version of FastPass+ and then offering the free fastpass system like they used to have, the one DisneyLand still has..

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Now that fastpasses are on hold, is anyone besides me hoping they completely overhaul the system? I have hated the FastPass+ system since its debut and always thought it limited what I could do. It seemed to help the first timers but hurt those with any experience. I wouldnt mind a paid version of FastPass+ and then offering the free fastpass system like they used to have, the one DisneyLand still has..

Having visited WDW in this post-fastpass era, I can say that they didn't appear to me too be the cause of long wait times. All the rides that had long waits prior to the pandemic also had long waits in the no fastpass world. And rides that were normally a walk on, like IaSW had waits upwards of 40 minutes.

I didn't experience the parks with the other systems, but I'm absolutely not hoping FP+ is gone for good, lol. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but 🤷🤷

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Big discussion here. Hold on tight.

JIMINYCR

Disney may very well be assessing how things are moving without the FP+ in place, even though the limited park numbers arent reflecting a realistic park scenario. I preferred the paper FP system than the pre booking system. i wouldnt mind either having a paid option or even one tied to rewarding the onsite resort staying guests based on number of days one books.

Poseidon Quest

Fastpass is a plague on the guest experience.

I'm quite positive that Disney releases them to artificially inflate their lines to discourage people from stand-by, thereby encouraging you to shop or dine instead. Anecdotally, I've walked around parks that I considered to not be crowded at all, but have ridiculous wait times, I suspect because those lines are artificially created.

I would very much prefer if Disney went to a paid fastpass system, but not something like Disneyland's Maxpass. If you're looking at a counter-example, Universal Express is so much better and guest friendly, even for those that haven't purchased it. It's often ridiculously expensive, sometimes more than the cost of the ticket itself, but it's designed to price a lot of people out. For those who want to pay a ridiculous price to skip the lines, they can do so, but the flipside is that there is far less people to switch between, allowing the regular lines to move much more quickly.

For example, if you're standing at the front entrance of Seven Dwarf's Mine Train, it's about a 40 minute wait with a full queue. However with Disney fastpass, around 2 and a half hours are being added to your wait because Disney would prefer that you don't wait in that queue and go purchase something instead. On the flipside, you could book one of their ridiculously priced hotels so that you can wake up at 6 in the morning to grab that fastpass.

A 3 hour line that keeps moving is a lot more bearable than a 3 hour line that doesn't because the fastpass queue keeps filling up.

Robbydj13

Original Poster
Personally I loved FP+ and was easily able to legitimately get 10+ in a day.
I'm guessing most that enjoyed legacy FP were "collectors" and then used one after another outside of the window.

I would not mind a paid FP+ situation because I am only responsible for myself as far as a budget goes.
Define collectors? I definitely held more than one at a time but they were always for different times and within the rules. In today's system, you are at most only going to get one E-Ticket attraction, maybe 2. In the "legacy" days, the people who got to the parks early and knew how to navigate the parks were rewarded for that knowledge. Now, i get maybe half accomplished in a day that I used to.

I think they should go back to the old system and offer a paid option similar to FastPass+

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
That analysis is completely backwards. People with experience who are "good" at FastPass benefit waaaaay more than new people.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Personally I loved FP+ and was easily able to legitimately get 10+ in a day.
I'm guessing most that enjoyed legacy FP were "collectors" and then used one after another outside of the window.

I would not mind a paid FP+ situation because I am only responsible for myself as far as a budget goes.
I never racked up that many in a day, but I loved the pre-planning. On an 8 night trip with 7 park days, I could have 28 attractions that I could guarantee zero wait on between FastPass and rope drop. Since there aren't much more than 28 attractions that develop much of a wait in the first place, that meant I essentially never waited for anything.

Robbydj13

Original Poster
That analysis is completely backwards. People with experience who are "good" at FastPass benefit waaaaay more than new people.
I couldnt disagree more.... Id like to think im pretty experienced, however, even at my luckiest with the new system its not even as close to productive as the old system.
Example: In the old system, I could go to Hollywood Studios and ride RnR Coaster multiple, multiple times and still ride the other rides, all with fastpass. I find myself extremely limited with the new system, usually only able to ride once, maybe twice, and never getting more than 3-4 good fastpasses per day. I used to get around 10-12 good fastpasses per day......

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I couldnt disagree more.... Id like to think im pretty experienced, however, even at my luckiest with the new system its not even as close to productive as the old system.
Example: In the old system, I could go to Hollywood Studios and ride RnR Coaster multiple, multiple times and still ride the other rides, all with fastpass. I find myself extremely limited with the new system, usually only able to ride once, maybe twice, and never getting more than 3-4 good fastpasses per day. I used to get around 10-12 good fastpasses per day......
That's not because you were good, it's because you were physically fit/fast/high stamina/no kids.

I meant "good" as in, "planning and strategy."

Robbydj13

Original Poster
That's not because you were good, it's because you were physically fit/fast/high stamina/no kids.

So..my points stands, the old fast pass system was and still is better, to me, and a lot of other people. But its no secret that the new system is convenient, but it is certainly very limiting of what one can accomplish in a day. As I stated, the system should go back to the way it was and they should offer a limited amout of paid options for those that prefer to reserve.

Pepper's Ghost

This is what bothers me most about FP+. Someone can be "good" at it and gain an advantage over hundreds or thousands of people who paid a comparable price to get in. And who wants to take a vacation that requires "strategy" to beat the system and other Disney guests. Regular stand-by queues truly evens the playing field for all guests, treating all guests equally. Why do people hate to have others treated equally to them?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
This is what bothers me most about FP+. Someone can be "good" at it and gain an advantage over hundreds or thousands of people who paid a comparable price to get in. And who wants to take a vacation that requires "strategy" to beat the system and other Disney guests. Regular stand-by queues truly evens the playing field for all guests, treating all guests equally. Why do people hate to have others treated equally to them?
Spoiler alert: Standby touring requires strategy too. Cc @lentesta

Robbydj13

Original Poster
Everyone has the same equal chance with all the options. Not sure where there is inequality

Chi84

Premium Member
Some people are better equipped for standing in lines than others, so the standby system benefits them to a greater degree than the current system. Prior to Fastpass, when we went as a family with my 70ish-year-old-mom and our young children, we just skipped any rides that required us to stand in long lines. Legacy Fastpass helped quite a bit.

Pepper's Ghost

Some people are better equipped for standing in lines than others, so the standby system benefits them to a greater degree than the current system. Prior to Fastpass, when we went as a family with my 70ish-year-old-mom and our young children, we just skipped any rides that required us to stand in long lines. Legacy Fastpass helped quite a bit.
This I think is more equitable, and can understand. Old FP was fine. I get they're going to use technology to "improve" the process, or more accurately save money on paper, ink, maintenance of the machines, but at least do same day only, you have to be in the park to book it. You can either get a same day FP on your phone, or with your magic band outside the ride. That makes sense to me, but FP+ system sucks IMO. I get not everyone agrees with me, but my opinion can't be wrong. 😁

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom