Fastpass Plus Mess

durangojim

Your point is fair but now you are actually changing the park experience over the course of the entire day. Staying at disney resort gets u in earlier-fine. But a division of people wothin the park at all times based on where u stay. Not okay by me. Not at these prices. I get it. It's about the $$$. Well there comes a point when a person says: Not worth it. Certainly not to feel second class.
I respect what you're saying, but if access to the parks is the base standard by which a visit to WDW is measured by, then everything else are just additions. Late magic hours allow more onsite guests to go on more rides with shorter lines than those staying offsite. Using a mobile app during the day accomplishes the same thing. If anything I think that offsite guests should be more upset that they don't have EMH access. I just don't see how the addition of FP+ is any different than that of EMH.
Now for the customer service issue - that's a totally different concern and I agree completely that Disney needs to rectify that ASAP.

stevehousse

I find this comment baffling. Why should there be a division based on where you stay. I paid thousands for 9 people to go to disney last week. I can't afford to stay on a disney property as well when I have more affordable accommodations. Why should that mean I get less fastpasses and why does that make me a lesser guest in terms of my enjoyment of the park. I PREDICT they will do something like that but I certainly don't think its right and in fact find it downright offensive
I don't see anything wrong with my statement! If I'm paying a premium to stay onsite, why shouldn't I be allowed special perks? Do u feel the same way about universals FP option. You stay onsite, u get free FP, u stay off site, pay us like 75 per person and u can now access that feature! Be lucky Disney is offering u anything for free and not making u purchase FP to use being an offsite guest. I think it's more than fair to let onsite guests have 5 FP picks and offsite only 3. Will it ever happen? Who knows? But I'm sure there are tons of people on the board who stay onsite who would agree with my statement.

Betsyboo

If you don't like the system don't use it. If you don't want to spend the money at Disney don't. If you choose to stay off site you are missing out on perks. That's your choice. No one is forcing you to use the new FP system, they aren't forcing you to make ADRs and they aren't forcing you to stay on site. Those are choices.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Disney's biggest problem right now is the rigid policy framework they are shacking the front line CM's with add to that CM's are not given current information on attractions - yet 'Mommy Bloggers' and Lifestylers have more information about attraction openings and special offerings than they do, Howintheh--l do you give good service under those constraints, Combine that with guests who in many cases have spent YEARS saving for a Disney vacation and they cannot access features of their vacation that they have paid for and they have other CM's FORCED to tell them that it's the Guest's fault for trying to use entitlements that they paid for. It makes for a poisonous atmosphere between Guest's and CM's,

There is no real justification for treating a CM badly. However I can understand it happening when a family has spent the price of a new car on a Disney vacation and NOTHING is working I am NOT saying it's justified by any means because it's TWDC's fault NOT the front-line CM.

This being said it's incumbent upon those of us who actually LOVE Disney but not how it's being run today to 'Call out' Disney on as many social media platforms. Because yelling at CM's will not fix problem a 'Rogue Wave' of bad publicity for TWDC will. The fans Neo vs TWDC's Agent Smith

ku-medium.gif

It will be ugly and it will probably get ugiler before it gets better.

I so agree with you. I truly understand a guest loosing it. I'm just not buying into the premise that most CMs are unprofessional or that they have been instructed to act that way. I still believe the vast majority of CMs we pass in a day from housekeeping, bus drivers, entrance, characters, food service, bars, entertainment, attractions, lifeguards, bellhops etc are good, solid employees. Granted you might encounter a token few in each role that are less than magical but I'm not buying into it being the vast majority of cast members.

And yeah, this is going to get uglier as AP holders are added into the mix given the local numbers of APs and when the crowds thicken over Spring Break, Easter and Summer. Heat has a way of knocking ugly up several notches. My kid was at a mega Annual Parks & Rec conference recently. They were given the equivalent of MBs used for seminars, rooms, charging, packet pick-up etc. Not a glitch. TWDC could have done this so much better. And more to the point, did TWDC have to do this at all, a fix to a problem that didn't exist resulting in upheaval.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I so agree with you. I truly understand a guest loosing it. I'm just not buying into the premise that most CMs are unprofessional or that they have been instructed to act that way. I still believe the vast majority of CMs we pass in a day from housekeeping, bus drivers, entrance, characters, food service, bars, entertainment, attractions, lifeguards, bellhops etc are good, solid employees. Granted you might encounter a token few in each role that are less than magical but I'm not buying into it being the vast majority of cast members.

And yeah, this is going to get uglier as AP holders are added into the mix given the local numbers of APs and when the crowds thicken over Spring Break, Easter and Summer. Heat has a way of knocking ugly up several notches. My kid was at a mega Annual Parks & Rec conference recently. They were given the equivalent of MBs used for seminars, rooms, charging, packet pick-up etc. Not a glitch. TWDC could have done this so much better. And more to the point, did TWDC have to do this at all, a fix to a problem that didn't exist resulting in upheaval.

I did NOT see any cases of CM's being rude or unprofessional, I am amazed the CM's kept it professional during the heat and the stress caused by this system.

I've worked in 'secure' buildings the majority of my working career with RFID badges allowing access, This stuff just WORKS, I've been at conferences where non-contact smart cards provide conference material pickup, meals, seminar admission and it's been flawless RFID just WORKS, I just don't know HOW Disney managed to screw it up this badly.

In most cases the key only needs to be within several inches of reader none of this mickey to mickey baloney.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don't see anything wrong with my statement! If I'm paying a premium to stay onsite, why shouldn't I be allowed special perks? Do u feel the same way about universals FP option. You stay onsite, u get free FP, u stay off site, pay us like 75 per person and u can now access that feature! Be lucky Disney is offering u anything for free and not making u purchase FP to use being an offsite guest. I think it's more than fair to let onsite guests have 5 FP picks and offsite only 3. Will it ever happen? Who knows? But I'm sure there are tons of people on the board who stay onsite who would agree with my statement.

UNI's system has the advantage of being SIMPLE it can be explained in 30 seconds

Gabe1

If you don't like the system don't use it. If you don't want to spend the money at Disney don't. If you choose to stay off site you are missing out on perks. That's your choice. No one is forcing you to use the new FP system, they aren't forcing you to make ADRs and they aren't forcing you to stay on site. Those are choices.

Ouch. This kind of rant is a passive-aggressive verbal facade of reasonableness, veiled nastiness at best. While it might raise ones self-esteem, beyond that just ill-tempered.

GrumpyFan

I've worked in 'secure' buildings the majority of my working career with RFID badges allowing access, This stuff just WORKS, I've been at conferences where non-contact smart cards provide conference material pickup, meals, seminar admission and it's been flawless RFID just WORKS, I just don't know HOW Disney managed to screw it up this badly.

In most cases the key only needs to be within several inches of reader none of this mickey to mickey baloney.

I think you're on the right track and I agree with you on RFID and that it just works! Indeed, it does. I've written software for these systems and installed them at numerous places and they are great. However, I think you need to look at how Disney is using them and the choice of equipment and software they're using. They didn't implement a near-field hardware that reads from 1-2 inches away, and the bands and readers don't provide any kind of user/guest feedback system in a way that's very meaningful.

First, the scanners are fixed height, small and not very powerful, requiring guests to physically touch their band to the scanner. If they made the entire pole that the scanner was attached to a reader, or at least made it a bigger area vertically, it would be a lot better, and easier.
Second, there is no meaningful feedback for a guest when they scan at a FP+ location and are outside of their window? Sure, it changes to a color other than green, but what does that color mean? I think a display that would show them quickly what the issue was that caused the non-green status. Was it too soon? Display a message with their times, Too late, Sorry, you're time window was missed, you may re-schedule...

Hopefully, these kinds of findings will be implemented over time to improve the system.

Cesar R M

Ouch. This kind of rant is a passive-aggressive verbal facade of reasonableness, veiled nastiness at best. While it might raise ones self-esteem, beyond that just ill-tempered.

kinda reminds me of "If you dont like my posts, do not read them!" they say in many forums. ;)

I think you're on the right track and I agree with you on RFID and that it just works! Indeed, it does. I've written software for these systems and installed them at numerous places and they are great. However, I think you need to look at how Disney is using them and the choice of equipment and software they're using. They didn't implement a near-field hardware that reads from 1-2 inches away, and the bands and readers don't provide any kind of user/guest feedback system in a way that's very meaningful.

First, the scanners are fixed height, small and not very powerful, requiring guests to physically touch their band to the scanner. If they made the entire pole that the scanner was attached to a reader, or at least made it a bigger area vertically, it would be a lot better, and easier.
Second, there is no meaningful feedback for a guest when they scan at a FP+ location and are outside of their window? Sure, it changes to a color other than green, but what does that color mean? I think a display that would show them quickly what the issue was that caused the non-green status. Was it too soon? Display a message with their times, Too late, Sorry, you're time window was missed, you may re-schedule...

Hopefully, these kinds of findings will be implemented over time to improve the system.

Agree, that would help minimize the time of diagnostics.

GrumpyFan

And, pointing them out like this is helpful in what way? It just seems you're trying to belittle the commenter and their opinion, or shame them for feeling this way.
It does nobody any good, it's just petty. In all likelihood, the original comment would've just been lost in such a discussion as this, except now, you've given it credence. In essence, you stirred a pot of poo, thus releasing it's stench, and added your own I might say.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Precisely - but why was this not done in the FIRST place, A small placard with the color descriptions could have been attached to reader when rolled out.

GrumpyFan

Precisely - but why was this not done in the FIRST place, A small placard with the color descriptions could have been attached to reader when rolled out.

Cost! And, probably because nobody thought about it from a guest perspective. Typical of system designers/builders. What seems simple and easy to you (the designer) isn't always as simple and easy to your end-user. Thorough testing cycles and plans usually reveal these kinds of things, and in all likelihood, they did, and are probably on a wish-list somewhere for the low priority future enhancements.

BigTxEars

except FP let you get tickets on the spot? and not having to do a 40+ day reservation (and having them sold out before you get to the park!)

True enough. It's all different levels of planning involved I guess. I really do not plan outside of one ADR per day and which park to go to each day. Other than that I really don't plan my day. I don't really mind if we do not ride everything :)

Gabe1

And, pointing them out like this is helpful in what way? It just seems you're trying to belittle the commenter and their opinion, or shame them for feeling this way.
It does nobody any good, it's just petty. In all likelihood, the original comment would've just been lost in such a discussion as this, except now, you've given it credence. In essence, you stirred a pot of pooh, thus releasing it's stench, and added your own I might say.

I am open to an opinion which is a perspective, when one is offered. I can agree or disagree. A directive as in don't go, get over it, don't read, cool it are not opinions. And you are correct ignoring directives like this is an option. Objecting to directives is another.

In hindsight a more relevant response would have been Stop It. A short and equally passive-aggressive directive.

Yobogoya

Original Poster
So what u t saying is I spend a couple thousand dollars to go to the parks with my family; but I can't really afford to stay on disney premises with the siR of my family and our needs so I stay 5 minutes away in a place I can afford and as a result I should be relegated to an inferior status the entire day at the park. And not just me but probably more than 50 percent of the guests will be treated that way and feel it too. ( I don't know what pct are on site or offsite so that 50 pct picked arbitrarily). And maybe I can upgrade my experience, maybe I can't. Still to be determined but be sure there will be a significant coat on top of that couple thousand u already spent. That's your view? Got it. I wonder how disney will respond when I ask them that exact thing. They are going to be contacting me later this week in response to my letter to them. Just saying...that's how you lose customers. Comparison to universal ain't fair and here's why. Universal only asking me to come to them for a day or two. Disney wants me for at least 4. Here's what I say to disney whenever I do decide they're worth my kidney again. Maybe I go to u for a day or two like I go to universal but no way I go to u 4 days anymore with this sort of feeling. For every one of you I assure you there are 5-10 of me. Like I said. They can keep u and ur onsite perks. They're gonna lose more and more of me if they keep this up and in not alone in feeling this my friend.

vinnya1726

This goes back to the inherent unfairness that this process is diviiding on-site and off-site guests in such a remarkable way. I am in the camp that they will eventually allow everyone to use their smartphones whether staying onsite or off-site, but in the meantime....

While I do not have an issue with this...those who choose to stay onsite should get some added bonus you might say for doing so.

Yobogoya

Original Poster
While I do not have an issue with this...those who choose to stay onsite should get some added bonus you might say for doing so.
They already do. It's called extra magic hours. What's happening now is on a much larger scale and if it stays anything like this it creates a remarkable division within the park throughout the day.

asianway

I want to believe that all the negativity surrounding Fastpass+ will result in changes, but I feel there's been a lot of negativity around the parks in general over the last few years that hasn't resulted in change. For me personally, Fastpass+ has been far and away the biggest gripe, but I wonder if the masses feel the same way.

For those keeping track at home, this is the first time in 5 years that I don't have a single component of a Disney trip booked.
I have 4 trips booked & 6 planned. Not a single one in FL

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.

A small rise in the output power of the readers would allow for scanning at a more practical range of inches instead of requiring physical contact resulting in guests simply swiping their bands/cards instead of tapping and waiting.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I find this comment baffling. Why should there be a division based on where you stay. I paid thousands for 9 people to go to disney last week. I can't afford to stay on a disney property as well when I have more affordable accommodations. Why should that mean I get less fastpasses and why does that make me a lesser guest in terms of my enjoyment of the park. I PREDICT they will do something like that but I certainly don't think its right and in fact find it downright offensive
Do you find Universal offensive?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom