FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnD

Dynamic pricing, huh? Better yet, you could assign letters to the attractions from least to most popular. Maybe even on the scale of A to E. Yeah, that's it! Rides like Space Mountain, Rise of the Resistance, Frozen Ever After, and Flight of Passage would be assigned an "E". You could even refer to these high end FPs as "E Ticket Attractions"!

Thinker of Things

There is no comparison between Disney parks and doordash

and I caution doing it even with universal…

when an average length is 3 days…as compared to 5-7…the economics of said pay as you go change dramatically.
When it comes to a service or product offering convenience product or service, there sure is a comparison in the habits of people’s desire to spend their money for said products/services that add convenience and a time savings to ones day.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It has nothing to do with fastpass. Disney can close the standby line any time they choose to do so, to move people over to the paid-only option. So no, "just stand in line" won't always be an option.

That's not how it's setup. Closing standby to standby PASS is not moving people ONLY to paid options.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
When it comes to a service or product offering convenience product or service, there sure is a comparison in the habits of people’s desire to spend their money for said products/services that add convenience and a time savings to ones day.
You can’t ignore scale/duration when assessing travel. Costs accrue by the minute and that can’t be ignored.

dovetail65

Guests should be far more concerned with DPA being used as a way to control us.

With the DPA system we can only get FP AFTER we are in the park, I hate that. So it is ok to force us to choose which park in advance , but it's not okay to choose the FP in advance.

There is a great reason for this. Disney can use this DPA system to lead us around like puppies on a leash all day long, we have no choice. They release the FP and we have to go with what it available on the fly, Now there wont be rope drops, but FP drops where people fight to get past the turnstile to use the DPA system. So what if Disney doesn't use the system to prioritize line waits? What if instead Disney uses it to prioritize guests being in certain areas at certain times(rather than based on line wait times and best ride order routes)that makes Disney the most money.

This restaurant is not making enough money at lunch so Disney releases a crud load of FP right at that spot, then this store is not getting enough sales so the next FP directs us to this store way on the other side of the park at the time they deem most profitable.

This system can easily be used like that. If we can not choose our Fp the way we want to use them are we to trust the Disney system is going to release the FP and put us on the rides in the best way to get the most out of the FP or our entire day?. Even if they didn't use it like I state, the way the DPA system is (not being able to choose until after we are in) Disney can still have us running around the park actually making FP users spend more time walking rather than less.

The original system was fine(it was never mandatory to use it to reserve ahead of time, my best FP's came the week I was in the park many, many times anyhow). Why not just leave FP as is was but go ahead and charge 69 bucks a day for it? To me it is about control, this DPA system to me seems only to exist to lead us around all day.

At Universal I pay a price for express and its up to me when and where I go on the rides. Disney is overreaching here going from letting us super plan to 100% controlling everything. And good luck trying to get an FP that does not interfere with a reservation at a restaurant We MADE 6 MONTHS IN ADVANCE,. I said this before, with my luck I will see an FP using DPA pop up for FOP but of course it will be right when I have a reservation I made at a hard to get place to eat.

WDW is a different animal. To me at a place where many events needs be planned 3 to 6 months ahead a new system where an express version of the rides can not even be used until we are in the parks is ludicrous. Either make it one price to get in FP line whenever we want like Universal , Six Flags etc or allow us the OPTION to reserve the FP to match our other reservation we need make 6 months out. Should we go to no dining reservation until we are in the parks too? What about the special events that many park guests never know about only to find they are sold out when they are there in the park that first day? That's not fair to them so lets make those special events only available until we are in the park as well. I am sure the non planning people would love that free for all. For me it is all connected and at a place as large as WDW with so much to do not being able to reserve FP like everything else makes WDW far less appealing for me.

Last edited:

Disney4family

Times change, people change, seasons change...

When it's time to change you've got to rearrange, who you are and what you're gonna be.
1628010622850.png

1628011309456.png
1628011260219.png
starring Bob Chapek
1628011375514.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If one strips everything down to the question: Why stay on property? The answer is quite literally...because it's on property. People will pay to stay in the bubble. And Disney knows this. Why entice anyone to stay at a Disney hotel if they can already fill rooms year after year? Yes, one can argue that they've provided perks in the past...but why is that do you think?

It's not more money = more perks

It's more money = you get what you pay for

**Edit to say that I don't agree with this mentality
Not only that…paying for a room is independent of the tickets that get you into the park…that’s an association that isn’t there. Express pass at universal is a deal worked out to incentivize both products between Comcast and Loews…the room and the tickets. Two players.

wdw doesn’t need to buy you off and split its own pie.

nickys

Premium Member
That's not how it's setup. Closing standby to standby PASS is not moving people ONLY to paid options.
No it isn’t. However if the standby return time is say 2 hours from “now” you then have to find something to do in those 2 hours. Which drives up the wait time for things like Dumbo, Carpets etc as more people get in line for them. And then having ridden your ride for which you had a return time, you may well have to get another standby return …. perhaps this time it might only be 90 minutes.

If you want to ride Tron or FoP, your only realistic option might be to pay. It could be impossible to get a standby return. Even with timed drops of new passes there’s no guarantee you will be looking at the right time, and even if you are you have a scramble to get one.

The system will probably work fine at DLP, where wait times are considerably lower.

wedenterprises

Dynamic pricing, huh? Better yet, you could assign letters to the attractions from least to most popular. Maybe even on the scale of A to E. Yeah, that's it! Rides like Space Mountain, Rise of the Resistance, Frozen Ever After, and Flight of Passage would be assigned an "E". You could even refer to these high end FPs as "E Ticket Attractions"!
Because in theory you could have a popular D-ticket with a 90min line and people willing to pay $20 per person to skip the line, while you have an E-ticket with a fast moving 40min line and not many people willing to pay even $10 to skip it.

KrzyKtty

I'm surprised this far into everything that they still have an announced if it is coming back as it was, or what will be replaced again. But I guess the Delta variant bought them sometime.

SpectroMagician

Wow that's insanely expensive.

Getting rid of the traditional booked 60 days in advance fastpass is going to make my family come a lot less often. The old system worked great at Disney World, it benefited fans who put in the effort and disadvantaged normies. That is the way it should be.

orky8

You mean like Galaxy's Edge? Toy Story Land? DCA 2.0? New Fantasyland? How many new cruise ships? The massive Epcot overhaul that was interrupted by a global pandemic?

Domestic Parks capital expenditure has not been lacking. The problem is, when Disney builds new stuff, the crowds show up in even bigger droves to experience it. Price increases are absolutely appropriate. My objection to the Paris system is not that it's more expensive, it's that it makes the parks needlessly complicated. I would have much rather had them raise ticket prices by 25%.

No, the problem is when Disney builds new stuff, they keep doing so over existing stuff with a few exceptions here and there. And then the new stuff has lower capacity than the old stuff, so total capacity is actually lower. And, all the "recent" expenditures won't even dent the giant hole for the previous 10 years where Disney utterly failed to invest in capacity.

JeffH

I sure hope that at Disney World that resort guests get 3 free fastpasses per day as a perk, otherwise, I will consider staying off property like I used to to afford to buy a Fastpass or 2. I've been staying at Disney resorts for about 5 years now nearly monthly for a week at a time...for the perks.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you want to ride Tron or FoP, your only realistic option might be to pay. It could be impossible to get a standby return. Even with timed drops of new passes there’s no guarantee you will be looking at the right time, and even if you are you have a scramble to get one.

The poster was misrepresenting things.

Your scenarios were true before as well.. just in other forms. "3hr wait and no FP, no we won't wait..." etc. It's always a mix of what the customer will do based on their needs... except in the case of the virtual-only queue that Disney controls it all :)

CosmicRays

Wdw cannot run without a crowd management system now….the attendance outpaced their capacity/flexibility long ago…

so it’s important to everyone in the park…even if you don’t use it.

the parks are dependent on crowd control have been for 10-20 years
Especially since the last 10 years Food and Wine have been creeping into an almost half year event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom