FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickys

Premium Member
This is going to make the queues for rides and attractions without “alternative access” really long. Whilst hanging around waiting to be able to join the Tron standby line with a return time 2 hrs away, people will end up queueing for COP and Tiki Birds just to fill time.

themarchhare

This is going to make the queues for rides and attractions without “alternative access” really long. Whilst hanging around waiting to be able to join the Tron standby line with a return time 2 hrs away, people will end up queueing for COP and Tiki Birds just to fill time.
Imagine how much worse the lines are going to get at dining and store locations too. And the waits for online ordering pick-up.

dreday3

That's what I was thinking - which will make the idea of buying fast passes much more appealing, won't it? :D

I think we will have to decide which ride is most important to us at each park and that will be the one we purchase. And if someone wants additional - they have to treat the rest of us!

Surferboy567

I’m really confused, I am a very positive guy when it comes to Disney. This system however if implemented is the dumbest decision. They can close STANDBY queues at will? Am I reading that right? The paid fastpass thing is still awful but I kind of expected that but eliminating STANDBY whenever they want?

Am I reading this right? This is one move that would actually want me to go to the parks less and, it takes a lot for me to get to that point.

Is their any way this flies in WDW? I can imagine the word of mouth of closing STANDBY lines at will will not exactly be good for them.

Kevin_W

It’s worth remembering why the “standby pass” was implemented in the first place. When DLP reopened certain days were very busy. Queues had a 1 metre gap between parties due to covid regulations which effectively made the physical queue space 1/3 of its designed size. Queues spilled out into walkways, across store entrances and the like. Standby pass was designed to only have the amount of guests the reduced queue space could handle actually present in the queue.

Now it harks back to the Pressler era of of original fastpass of less time in a queue and more time to spend money in stores.

I visited Cedar Point last summer and they were doing a similar thing (paper, rather than digital) due to the spacing in the queues. It was pretty horrible. A lot of extra walking to get to a ride in the back of the park, then to get a return time that may or may not work depending on what you are doing at that later time (during dinner? while you are in the queue for a ride at the front of the park?). Good God, I hope this does not come to pass.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The kids are gonna LOVE this.
I’ll remind that wdw is a different animal. The closet “comparable” in volume/demand per square inch is Tokyo….where they always are building something…not Paris or Anaheim.

you know…maybe that annual pass I’ve been asking about isn’t such a good idea? 🤔

matt9112

In all the years I have gone to Disney World I have never even once watched 80 people flow past the standby line. That is absolutely and unequivocally insane. Just stop. I've been on attractions in the fastpass line and gotten to the end at the merge point and routinely watch the CM stop the standby line for a moment and let maybe 5 to 10 fastpass people through then stop them and then let the same amount or more standby people through. Then when they would take them another 5 to 10 fastpass people. So if you, working as an attraction CM we're letting 80 fastpass people through for every 20 standby people then you are the problem. 😉

Well its windows right so your never going to see that all those people have that window to arrive. (Plus the grace) it doesn't change the fact that its a math equation. Disney gives fp a raw % of ride capacity period. It doesn't matter what you see in terms of people entering the line remember they are showing up for that entire window. If theres 1000 riders per hour on attraction x theres 800 in fastpass and 200 in standby etc. In this fictitious scenario if there were 600 people in line it would be a 3 hour wait assuming FP actually filled up and nobody failed to return for there window.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m really confused, I am a very positive guy when it comes to Disney. This system however if implemented is the dumbest decision. They can close STANDBY queues at will? Am I reading that right? The paid fastpass thing is still awful but I kind of expected that but eliminating STANDBY whenever they want?

Am I reading this right? This is one move, that would actually want me to go to the parks less and, it takes a lot for me to get to that point.

Is their any way this flies in WDW? I can imagine the word of mouth of closing STANDBY lines at will will not exactly be good for them.
It’s when you put a retail, Walmart grade hack in charge of parks that have a reputation of unrivaled quality and sells on nostalgia across generations.

this is what Roy E Disney warned about…he used the word “capricious”…but this is it.

and he complained about Eisner…who is heading for Disney sainthood now.

Splashin' Ryan

If one of the main ideas for this system is to unknowingly make people shop and eat more, they have it all wrong.
People will likely rather find another ride to ride while they wait for whatever virtual queue line/pass they're in, making other rides have unbearably long lines.
People can only shop and eat so much. When they go to a theme park I can bet the majority of people want to go on rides then shop and eat as an afterthought.
Disney is putting far too much in hope in the idea that people will open up their wallets if they're not waiting in line.

Waters Back Side

And here I was 10000 dollars spent later, only wanted 3 FP+ like always. Even knowing the system, I never by choice cared about trying to grab more after that. Okay sure, if I was eating after all 3 FPs were used, I might check and see what was available and find that Pooh had a FP for 8pm snd even sometimes grab it. But I didnt go out of my way to do so. My day consisted of (being bad strategically, and I did not care) getting 3 FPs spread out. And doing other things in between. I might not get the exact times for the 3 rides but I'd grab them and plan for a world of fun in between.

My AK day for example would be

12 PM -1PM FP to Everest

2 PM - 3PM fast pass for FOP

5 PM -6 PM fast pass for Safari

The times in between and the time I got back in the hour window by using a FP and using only 20 minutes of that window for the ride itself, we would meet characters or do a show or eat etc.

A simple plan. 3 rides we wanted. Happy camper.

Assuming WDW implements this system, I guess this would make the deluxe evening hours more valuable—ensuring quicker access to rides like FoP instead of the masses bogging down the line at normal park close.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If one of the main ideas for this system is to unknowingly make people shop and eat more, they have it all wrong.
People will likely rather find another ride to ride while they wait for whatever virtual queue line/pass they're in, making other rides have unbearably long lines.
People can only shop and eat so much. When they go to a theme park I can bet the majority of people want to go on rides then shop and eat as an afterthought.
Disney is putting far too much in hope in the idea that people will open up their wallets if they're not waiting in line.
The original fastpass was to unknowingly make people shop and eat more…but they gave up on merch and started cost cutting the food…so that ship is past the lighthouse now.

this is just monetization for quarterlies

(queue the praetorians)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom