FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrojanUSC

The limit on attendees is moot. They’ll take as many as you want to pay for.

For the private VIP tour product they have a hard cap of 10 people. This includes infants, etc. If you exceed ten, they make you pay for a second guide at the same hourly rate.

TokyoMiki

. Yes there is walking around the park a little more sometimes, yes sometimes I have to constantly refresh. But at the end of the day I rope dropped, fast pass, pool break, back to the park for more fast pass

Sounds like a bang up way to vacation.

Universal could have used you 3 or 4 years back with their "Vacation like you mean it" campaign.

TokyoMiki

Essentially giving out two fp per ticket day that do not need to be scheduled.

It has a huge built in flaw: avalanche

Take Animal Kingdom for example......90% of guests 7 to 60 will choose Flight of Passage for one of their 2 allotted FP's.

Guests will avalanche tall blue man in tank.

TokyoMiki

they built 3 bad parks in the early 00’s...they were all smashing “successes”.

3?

I know the obvious 2 but what is the 3rd lousy park? Hong Kong was '05, I think(and that would not really make it early 00's) but had some high and lows to it if that is our mystery park.

Chomama

Do you know this for sure? We go in a group of 11, 12 or 13 so I assumed we’d have to pay the whole rate twice for like 2 extra people. You can just add them to the first group, or is that not what you meant?
You have to pay for a second guide. So double the price after 10 people.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
3?

I know the obvious 2 but what is the 3rd lousy park? Hong Kong was '05, I think(and that would not really make it early 00's) but had some high and lows to it if that is our mystery park.

well...2 were well documented...

the other isn’t a “bad” park...but was shorted/built under equipped and limped along for along time...but gets a lot of bluster

Last edited:

TokyoMiki

I do not understand how people cannot want it(FP) to stay.

It has been explained already by perhaps 20 or more posters on this thread alone so you should be able to understand well by now based off of the many types of personal accounts and opinions of how FP adversely affects them.

As a recently former Florida resident AP avid FP user I hope it comes back but I'm also good to go without it.

Mark48

Josh Amaro posted to his Instagram from the preview event of 100th anniversary of Knott's Berry Farm.

The fact that he would do this speaks volumes about his leadership and also perhaps demonstrates that he has quite a bit of understanding maybe even passion for the theme park industry.
This is very impressive. Josh hopefully is in a position where his opinions are valued. Time will tell and the man has my support........and prayers .

YorkshireT

People are reporting they’ve been selected to ’test’ scanning in with their magic bands at the fast pass lines this past week. Does this not indicate it’s coming back?

TrojanUSC

People are reporting they’ve been selected to ’test’ scanning in with their magic bands at the fast pass lines this past week. Does this not indicate it’s coming back?

People are scanning into the fast pass lines all day every day? DAS, child swap, service recovery, etc. All of these entitlements are added onto your MDE account and work just like a FP+ would, in that you show up and tap your band, card or [now] phone.

PirateFrank

If true...it certainly means they’re up to something...

Is there more to this other than 'hey you on the standby line - come here and wave your magic band here for us and continue along on the standby line'?

Regardless, I think its hard to infer anything beyond what SirWalter said. They're up to something. Is it the beginning of the process or the end of it? Are they just trying to get the existing FP+ system back up and running as a stop-gap (after replacing the parts they cannibalized for the park reservation system)? or are these test scans part of a new FP/genie thing? Are the developers at the beginning of the process and these tests are just to see if they can get readings from the poles? Or are they nearing completion??

Unless someone has inside info.....it's really anyone's guess.

DisneyHead123

Are they just trying to get the existing FP+ system back up and running as a stop-gap (after replacing the parts they cannibalized for the park reservation system)?

Not trying to "start anything" here, I am just genuinely curious, as someone with no technical / software expertise. I've seen people mention that it has been "cannibalized" and people say that you can't cannibalize software, once the code is written it's written.

As a layperson my assumption is that you would just copy and paste the same code in as many places as you need it, ha ha. Could you explain what is meant by "cannibalization"? For example, is it that you can't run competing code on the same set of hardware, like the FP readers or the app, because it will cause all kinds of glitches? Or do they only have the bandwidth to run one program or the other?

PirateFrank

Not trying to "start anything" here, I am just genuinely curious, as someone with no technical / software expertise. I've seen people mention that it has been "cannibalized" and people say that you can't cannibalize software, once the code is written it's written.

As a layperson my assumption is that you would just copy and paste the same code in as many places as you need it, ha ha. Could you explain what is meant by "cannibalization"? For example, is it that you can't run competing code on the same set of hardware, like the FP readers or the app, because it will cause all kinds of glitches? Or do they only have the bandwidth to run one program or the other?

Those are great points (regarding copying software). But its my understanding (and please, someone correct me if I'm wrong) but it was more than just FP software that was modified to become the current park reservation system.....but hardware components such as servers, databases, etc. Still, it might not be as easy as buying a few more server blades, going to a server backup dated early march of 2020, unspooling the backup onto the new servers and pushing the old FP+ system live.

There's probably alot going on in the background of MDE that had to make way for the FP+ conversion park reservation system - so you now have to make sure a new fastpass system doesn't compete with it.

And again....this is all assuming they just want to relaunch the old FP+ program....and based on what we're all seeing, they might not be doing that.

pdude81

I believe what they mean is that they used the fastpass reservation system as the basis for the park reservation system, both for the selection of items and the display in MDE.

Sure they could make a duplicate of some kind, but that requires just as much infrastructure as the original, plus all new ID's and links on the back end. There would likely be all sorts of glitches trying to bring this up in parallel as they find stored procedures with hard-coded values that start changing people's park reservations when they are trying to reserve rides. Much better off moving to whatever new thing they've been planning....

unless they can just drop the park reservations. Then there is a shot in hell that FP+ could get back up and running in a few weeks time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom