FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Date an announcement is made: Today

What form the new FP system takes:

Paid line skips with a pay to ride later option and a pay more to ride now option

Combined with free Parisian-style Standby Passes

How the new system fares over the next year:

Misses expected revenue targets but does well enough that any changes are minor

How the new system fares over the next three years:

Substantially hurts On-site hotel business and ultimately is modified for that reason.

DisneyHead123

I should be more specific when I say I think it will be rolled back within two years max so…

- I’m going on the assumption that they implement the plan outlined by Touring Plans.

- I say this with a deep love of my country, but I just don’t think this level of line regulation will work with Americans, lol. People will lose their minds when handed a virtual standby pass, or insist on entering the FP lane after their virtual standby wait is over and THEN lose their minds when they can’t, or try to open up their email to find their FP QR code and hold up the line for an hour or… in general we are not known for our love of, and ability to, follow directions. We barely managed “Here’s a line. Wait in it.”

- I think the more complex line options will be cut, at least 2 free FastPasses will be back for everyone, and MagicBands will be heavily encouraged over phone use for line entry. I do think some number of paid FastPasses will remain, but the scope of that program will be cut back a great deal. The average family will buy maybe one headliner FP every 2-3 days.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Chapek's Genie announcement means we'll know by the end of the next quarterly report. This means they settled on the form of the schema. All that's left is to make sure Genie can manage it and announce it. No more putting off for months and months while they decide what form it should be.

Martin, Steve, and Len are indicating we'll probably know this week, if not by the end of this day.

aliceismad

- I’m going on the assumption that they implement the plan outlined by Touring Plans.

- I say this with a deep love of my country, but I just don’t think this level of line regulation will work with Americans, lol. People will lose their minds when handed a virtual standby pass, or insist on entering the FP lane after their virtual standby wait is over and THEN lose their minds when they can’t, or try to open up their email to find their FP QR code and hold up the line for an hour or… in general we are not known for our love of, and ability to, follow directions. We barely managed “Here’s a line. Wait in it.”
I once witnessed a family blow the eff up in line for Pooh and Tigger M&G at the end of the night because the characters were actually interacting with guests and "it was taking too long, which meant they wouldn't be able to run across the park and get in line for a big ride before Disney cuts off the bleeping line." There were no young kids in this family, and they were throwing all kinds of attitude at the people in front of them whose small kids were having the time of their lives hugging Pooh and hopping like Tigger and playing peek a boo.

All that to say, I can see a lot of angry people marching to guest services when they get a standby pass and return only to find they still have to wait an hour in line.

Last edited:

SarahWI

All that to say, I can see a lot of angry people marching to guest services when they get a standby pass and return only to find they still have to wait an hour in line.
My take is then they’re idiots for not understanding the rules and the process. Guest services though will likely throw a free recovery pass at them.

Tha Realest

I'm curious how many options there will be. Free FP. Paid FP. Lightning Round FP. Don't-make-eye-contact-with-me FP. And how do you squeeze in DAS, with all the issues many have with needing a certain time with limited waits into the mix?

DisneyHead123

I once witnesses a family blow the eff up in line for Pooh and Tigger M&G at the end of the night because the characters were actually interacting with guests and "it was taking too long, which meant they wouldn't be able to run across the park and get in line for a big ride before Disney cuts off the bleeping line." There were no young kids in this family, and they were throwing all kinds of attitude at the people in front of them whose small kids were having the time of their lives hugging Pooh and hopping like Tigger and playing peek a boo.

I seriously can’t imagine. The CM’s deserve hazard pay if they have to deal with this.

Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised and Disney will realize this and keep the new program simple. But I doubt it. They seem to have drunk the corporate-speak Kool Aid on this one and seem out of touch with the average park goer. One almost gets the sense that they really do think the average person will be “thrilled about their variety of new options!” or however it’s phrased.

G00fyDad

Chapek's Genie announcement means we'll know by the end of the next quarterly report. This means they settled on the form of the schema. All that's left is to make sure Genie can manage it and announce it. No more putting off for months and months while they decide what form it should be.

Martin, Steve, and Len are indicating we'll probably know this week, if not by the end of this day.

Isn't the current quarter over on September 30th? It sounds like they may make an announcement sooner than that.

G00fyDad

This. So many Ken’s and Karen’s will inundate the queue CM’s with their demands. “What do you mean I can’t get in line right now? What’s a Standby Pass? Where’s a manager???”
Karen Intensifies GIF by MOODMAN

Family_Man

Date an announcement is made: Thursday, August 19

What form the new FP system takes:
Genie is free (your new MDE + lines app. Includes restaurants)
Standby line (For free, so Disney can say they are keeping you out of line)
$25 for 3 wishes. (gain revenue on essentially the FP+ replacement, but throttled to lesser attractions.
Lightning pass+ Starting at $50+ per ride per person. (Need to price high enough to not scavenge private tours. Also take advantage of "its late and I really wanted to ride FOP).

How the new system fares over the next year:
50% uptake on wishes. A must do for any mildly efficient touring plans. Huge revenue generator.
Old timers hate it, newbies love it.

How the new system fares over the next three years:
A non issue for everyone body old timers. Its just the way things are and a cost of going to Disney.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Isn't the current quarter over on September 30th? It sounds like they may make an announcement sooner than that.
I'm assuming that before Chapek has to make his next quarterly report on the quarter ending at the beginning of October, he'll have to answer for how Genie is progressing. That report won't be made until late in November or the beginning of December.

pixarprincess

I'm actually very concerned that the instability around this is going to make even a VIP tour a risk. If FP lines are out of control because they don't know how to calculate things properly yet...

TheMaxRebo

This. So many Ken’s and Karen’s will inundate the queue CM’s with their demands. “What do you mean I can’t get in line right now? What’s a Standby Pass? Where’s a manager???”

But that will happen no matter what they do - heck, there was so much confusion about what had been in place with lots of people thinking the only way to get FPs was to pay for them, etc

Not saying over complicating things is good, just they shouldn't decide not to use a system b/ they think there will be complaints and there will be complaints no matter what

DisneyDodo

QUESTION: Do you think the "in standby line a minute before closing and you're good to go" goes away with this new scheme?
No, simply because that's how they define "closing." If they want people to stop getting in line earlier, they can just set an earlier closing time.
That's an interesting point, but if they want people to stop physically queuing an hour earlier, they don't actually have to turn them away - they can just choose an hour-earlier "closing" time. They specifically choose what to post as the closing time based on when they want people to stop getting in line (which they've presumably arrived at by working backwards from the time they want the park to actually be empty). For example, in recent years, MK has closed much earlier than in the past, which has the exact same effect (i.e. guests must stop getting in line earlier and fewer people ride overall), but without the PR hit you alluded to.

Tha Realest

No, simply because that's how they define "closing." If they want people to stop getting in line earlier, they can just set an earlier closing time.
yes, but the hours of operation are spelled out days (if not weeks/months) in advance. Are you saying if the park has a posted closing time of 9:00 p.m., and I try and get in line at 8:58 p.m., they can say "we closed at 8"? Or are you saying this algorithm will bake this in when they set opening/closing times in the weeks leading up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom