FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff4272

You FP 3 than you rope drop and can usually hit 2 maybe 3 rides with almost no line. So 6 rides with almost no line. Mk is the only park where you might not ride everything you want.
Now all that is gone....non resort guests get royally screwed here with rope drop completely gone for them

and paid FP likely means you have tp get there at rope drop to get one

great system

Jrb1979

Now all that is gone....non resort guests get royally screwed here with rope drop completely gone for them

and paid FP likely means you have tp get there at rope drop to get one

great system
Yep. Just like every other park out there. Personally I think it's strange that people don't rope drop. Relaxing vacation and theme park don't go together.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The pay per ride thing seems odd to me. I would probably rather something closer to Universal. I have the top pass at Universal which grants Express after 4pm. I don't know how realistic something like that would be at Disney but I would definitely upgrade to it if they made that available. Even if they doubled the price of the AP.
Those of us old enough to remember when theme parks charged by the ride also remember the big deal when the parks went to all-inclusive pricing at the front gate.

What did they call it? (say it with me...) PAY ONE PRICE.

These days, if you want to ride everything without having another birthday celebration in line, it's PAY TWO PRICES.

Jeff4272

With almost no on site benefits and paid FP coming, why would anyone stay at WDW? Our next trip will look way different. We still love WDW, but the nickel and diming along with no value will have us staying elsewhere

We will stay at Hard Rock at Universal and get Express pass included (no Magical express and paying for parking make this any easy decision)...........We will do 3-4 days at Universal, stay at Hard Rock (equivalent to a WDW deluxe) for the same price as a value in WDW with WAY better benefits (no 60 day advanced booking for FP+ make this a no brainer) and visit WDW parks for 2 days with a park hopper and do all 4 parks in the 2 days and the money we saved in booking a WDW hotel we will use to pay for FP on the long lines (can do all 4 parks in 2 days if im paying to skip the long lines).............Sure, I'll pay to skip 120 minute line at FOP, but Disney lost my hotel reservation, all my meals, all the merch, etc. that I would have spent there had i stayed there for my whole trip

The value is just not there to stay in a WDW for our family any longer...........What you give up in being on property, Hard Rock makes up all that and then some.

When you consider no more Magical Express, no more free Magic Bands, no more 60 advanced booking for FP, paid for FP, no more Extra Magic Hours, only 30 minutes in the morning (which we dont use anyway), no dining plan, no more free parking, etc. etc. etc., the only benefit to a WDW hotel is being on property for a huge cost increase. I know a lot of people view it differently, but that is not worth the MASSIVE prices they charge for their hotels to our family, especially when you can book at Universal and get a nicer hotel and have Express Pass included

Last edited:

lightningtap347

Fastpass+ was great for people who could wheel and deal it. I rarely (if at all) waited standby from my time working there.

I will miss it if it changes, and any option that forces me to wait standby for a large portion of my day would really make me reconsider going back for a long time.

Fastpass makes lines longer, but it definitely makes for a more comfortable experience overall. Forced standby is a big "no-go" for me.

Jeff4272

Yep. Just like every other park out there. Personally I think it's strange that people don't rope drop. Relaxing vacation and theme park don't go together.
We have never rope dropped and i cant figure out why people want to get up at 6am on vacation......The vast majority of people do not do rope drop

We would go for 10 days

We would sleep in until 9am, eat breakfast in room, hit pool, have lunch in room and then hit parks from 3-4pm until closing...............WIth FP+, we wouldnt need to get up at 6am on vacation and knew we had our top rides reserved for when we wanted them

Jrb1979

We have never rope dropped and i cant figure out why people want to get up at 6am on vacation......The vast majority of people do not do rope drop

We would go for 10 days

We would sleep in until 9am, eat breakfast in room, hit pool, have lunch in room and then hit parks from 3-4pm until closing...............WIth FP+, we wouldnt need to get up at 6am on vacation and knew we had our top rides reserved for when we wanted them
To me if you want a vacation where you sleep in everyday I go to beach resort or my trailer.

IMO the whole point of going to a theme park for vacation is to enjoy the parks as much as you can.

Jeff4272

Great example right here.......Week of March 12-19....Hard Rock is $456 per night.....
To me if you want a vacation where you sleep in everyday I go to beach resort or my trailer.

IMO the whole point of going to a theme park for vacation is to enjoy the parks as much as you can.
We dont wake up early on any vacation.......We enjoy the parks at night, they are WAY better at night vs the day for a multitude of reasons......

IMO the whole point of going should be to go at night and enjoy the parks then when it's cooler and the lines are shorter

What you do makes no sense at all and thats a proven fact

(hear how dumb this post sounds? It should because it's obviously sarcasm to prove a point that what's good for you doesn't mean its good for me)

CuteAsMinnie

I understand that. Many of those that I talk to that went to Disney pre-COVID used the FP+ system for that very thing. We are just weird and love rope drops.
At MK rope drop (and morning EMH were the best) we’d hit all of fantasyland, PoC, HM and Buzz before 10am when our FP started. It was the best and so fun!! Then BTMRR, SD around lunch and Splash was thrown in there somewhere or saved for another day. Back to resort by 1 or 2 to relax by the pool. Best days! Sure miss that!

wedenterprises

Second, wait times are nearly always overstated, sometimes by a lot. With Guests paying for FP, Disney will have every incentive to inflate posted wait times even further.

Third, the new FP system at Disneyland Paris does not grant immediate access. You pay for a return time, which for popular rides might be hours from now. (I shutter to think what will happen if ROTR ever uses a paid FP system. I would not be surprised if Guests pay $40 per person to experience ROTR 6 or 8 hours later in the day.)

I'm very interested to see how these two points play out. The return time would have to be sooner than a) the standby pass b) the old paper FP system where it was anywhere from 0-6 hours.

Also, will you have to physically be in the park to book a $FP or SBP?

ParentsOf4

Those of us old enough to remember when theme parks charged by the ride also remember the big deal when the parks went to all-inclusive pricing at the front gate.

What did they call it? (say it with me...) PAY ONE PRICE.

These days, if you want to ride everything without having another birthday celebration in line, it's PAY TWO PRICES.
When I first went to WDW in May 1982, my older brother bought my ticket for me. (He was working full-time, I was a student working part-time as a lifeguard.) I think he paid $9.50, which converts to $27 today. I think we also purchased a 10-Adventure book for $11, which would be $31 today. When you combine that, it was today's equivalent of $58, which felt like a lot of money for a bunch of young adults. (The details are a bit fuzzy since I didn't actually pay for the ticket.)

When we heard about the new (as you call it) "pay-one-price" ticket, I remember many being really upset. People liked paying the $9.50 (i.e. $27) to get in since it included shows, parades, fireworks, and characters. A family could get a lot of entertainment for that $9.50 ticket, and working class families could save a lot by skipping most attractions.

When we returned a year later, I had saved and bought my first ticket, a 3-day "pay-one-price" hopper for $35, which translates to about $96 today. As someone who wanted to go on rides again and again, I thought it was the best ticket ever!

I'd be game for the new system if Disney was going to lower theme park admission to $75 (for example) and then charge extra for the FP+ replacement. You could pick 2-3 attractions to FP, and end up paying roughly the same. For those who really wanted to, they could purchase as many FP as they wanted, while other families could skip them all together. The net of it would be that Disney's profits would go up, while the parks would be a bit more affordable for those who are budgeting.

What's infuriating about the rumored new system is that admission tickets will cost more than ever, but now we will be charged even more on top of that for something that previously was included in our tickets.

It's like what happened with hotel parking. You already were paying for hotel parking in the price of your room. Yet Disney now charges extra for what was once included and has raised hotel rack rates by about 26% since then!

I wish corporate Disney weren't so small-minded. Thanks Bob Chapek. :mad:

Last edited:

arich35

We booked a trip for December and I figured some kind of fastpass would be back by then but I am getting a little worried. When we went in May the lines and wait times weren't bad but not seeing basically double for most rides makes me less excited for our trip. I don't want to have to wait 2 hours to right FOP or 90 minutes for SD and Mine Train.

mightynine

I’ve been ready an interesting series about all of this by Cory Doctorow over on Medium, here’s the link to Part I:

Warning: Medium has a limit on what you can read both with and without a free account. Also, in Part I as he sketches the history of Walt’s motivations for building the park, it’s not the rosy picture you get from One Man’s Dream.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I’ve been ready an interesting series about all of this by Cory Doctorow over on Medium, here’s the link to Part I:

Warning: Medium has a limit on what you can read both with and without a free account. Also, in Part I as he sketches the history of Walt’s motivations for building the park, it’s not the rosy picture you get from One Man’s Dream.

Lets put it simple... Cory ain't no Disney historian... and he's filling in some plot points with his own take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom