FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purduevian

Regular 1 park express pass at UO for 8/3 shows at $209
Guessing you were looking at express unlimited. UO express pass allows you to skip each line ONCE and is much more similar to this Paris's new system. I can't look back at 8/3, but today 8/4. USF Unlimited is 109.99. USF skip each ride once is $79.99

wedenterprises

I think the 30 mins for all parks actually beats 60 for one. Not only will there be 1/4 the crowd during the resort-only window, but the crowds in whichever park you go to will be lower throughout the day, compared to the one park that had morning EMH. You could have gotten around it by park-hopping from the EMH park to another one, but that ends up costing you more time than you save. It was only worth it if you were planning to take a midday break at the hotel anyway.
That's how I see it too. We used to avoid the EMH parks on those days.

pdude81

Guessing you were looking at express unlimited. UO express pass allows you to skip each line ONCE and is much more similar to this Paris's new system. I can't look back at 8/3, but today 8/4. USF Unlimited is 109.99. USF skip each ride once is $79.99
Are you looking at the cheapest ever "from" prices? 1 park pass for 8/4 is showing $210. Express unlimited is 240.

pdude81

stay in any universal hotel other than cabana bay and get unlimited express pass for free.
Doing this soon actually, but we're just having a dispute about the upgrade cost on regular tickets. it ends up being as much as a room would have been for one person if you wait til the last minute.

skypilot2922

Doing this soon actually, but we're just having a dispute about the upgrade cost on regular tickets. it ends up being as much as a room would have been for one person if you wait til the last minute.

Buy the premier AP, you get FoTL after 4 PM and a big discount on 'day of' FOTL plus free premier (pre covid was valet) parking

Disney Dad 3000

Oddly enough, I think the Express cost actually was cheaper day of than in advance for our trip last week. I remember looking 1-2 months out and it was 290's for the 2 parks/unlimited, but day of/before it was 240-250ish for that same express pass. That may be an anomaly though.
I actually ended up getting a Premier pass for myself to utilize the after 4pm express pass.

jpinkc

I will say on our 19 trip to UO Hard Rock was nice. And getting the Express included was great. We were there in late May, and the Express pass was hardly needed. Now Disney on the other hand from going at the same time a year earlier WOW, FP+ was again a blessing. Was not to impressed by restaurant at Hard Rock. Breakfast was good lunch and dinner you can do better elsewhere.

skypilot2922

I will say on our 19 trip to UO Hard Rock was nice. And getting the Express included was great. We were there in late May, and the Express pass was hardly needed. Now Disney on the other hand from going at the same time a year earlier WOW, FP+ was again a blessing. Was not to impressed by restaurant at Hard Rock. Breakfast was good lunch and dinner you can do better elsewhere.

Hard Rock cafe is famous for burgers, Get a burger you will be happy the rest meh at best, the drinks are good too

Todd H

We stayed at the Royal Pacific Resort a few years ago and it was one of the most relaxing vacations ever. The unlimited express meant no planning at all. The only exceptions were the Harry Potter rides which we did multiple times without much waiting by using the single rider lines. The resort was easily as nice as a Disney Deluxe and a heck of a lot cheaper.

Honestly I'm waiting to see what new fastpass system Disney comes up with to determine whether I cancel next summer's trip or not. I'm already paying out the nose staying at a Deluxe. Start charging me for fastpasses and I'm probably going to bolt.

wutisgood

I think the 30 mins for all parks actually beats 60 for one. Not only will there be 1/4 the crowd during the resort-only window, but the crowds in whichever park you go to will be lower throughout the day, compared to the one park that had morning EMH. You could have gotten around it by park-hopping from the EMH park to another one, but that ends up costing you more time than you save. It was only worth it if you were planning to take a midday break at the hotel anyway.
Remember the parks all opened 30 mins early most days anyway before they called this a perk.

I am at the point with disney where it is already so expensive every added dollar makes me question why I even bother. If the average person needed to buy 2 or 3 paid fastpasses to gave a good day we are talking about 150-200 per day per person before food and transit. If that is going to be the norm I might as well fly to Tokyo instead or LA depending on how that plays out. Even the tickets I have saved up that don't expire feel like a waste to use if the crowd levels are so high I can't get much done.

ParentsOf4

This narrative is also flawed and just flat out wrong. What I gain in FP on peter pan (save 90 minutes) I might pay in riding buzz (10 minutes) b there are way more rides to absorb the few headline ones with 90+ minute waits.
What's flawed is the assumption that you're going to save 90 minutes if the posted wait time is 90 minutes.

First, FP has never meant immediate access. I frequently waited 30 minutes in FP lines such as FOP. Even Peter Pan has FP wait times of 15 minutes. Disney is going to have every reason to sell as many FP as Guests are willing to purchase, meaning the paid FP line could easily be as long as the 'free' legacy FP line.

Second, wait times are nearly always overstated, sometimes by a lot. With Guests paying for FP, Disney will have every incentive to inflate posted wait times even further.

Third, the new FP system at Disneyland Paris does not grant immediate access. You pay for a return time, which for popular rides might be hours from now. (I shutter to think what will happen if ROTR ever uses a paid FP system. I would not be surprised if Guests pay $40 per person to experience ROTR 6 or 8 hours later in the day.)

Fourth, the system at Disneyland Paris allows Guests to get free return times for the Standby line. This means even if the posted wait time is 90 minutes, you are not going to stand in line for 90 minutes. If WDW implements a similar system, the physical Standby wait time might never be more than 30-60 minutes.

You and your family might very well end up paying $72 to save perhaps 20 minutes of standing in line.

And this is something that Disney used to give you for free!

(OK, included in the price of your theme park ticket.)
on top of that, overall attendance has increased from 47,146,000 in 2008 to 58,311,000 in 2018 That’s over a 20% increase.

new attractions bring more guests, not less. So adding capacity won’t help since it will add more attendance.
No, new attractions are not bringing more Guests to WDW; demographics are.

First, the U.S. population has grown by 20% since DAK opened in 1998.

Second, Disney has aggressively advertised overseas in recent years, particularly in South America and the U.K. When DAK opened in 1998, overseas visitors made up a small portion of WDW's attendance. Prior to COVID, that number had grown to about 20% of WDW annual attendance.

Combine those two factors and it becomes apparent that attractions are not the driving force behind WDW's attendance increase. WDW simply has a much larger market to sell to than it did in 1998.

WDW needs to significantly increase attraction capacity to handle its increased market, something it hasn't done much of since 1998.

jpinkc

Second, Disney has aggressively advertised overseas in recent years, particularly in South America and the U.K. When DAK opened in 1998, overseas visitors made up a small portion of WDW's attendance. Prior to COVID, that number had grown to about 20% of WDW annual attendance.

Combine those two factors and it becomes apparent that attractions are not the driving force behind WDW's attendance increase. WDW simply has a much larger market to sell to than it did in 1998.

WDW needs to significantly increase attraction capacity to handle its increased market, something it hasn't done much of since 1998.
That is true about Europeans, I have friends from England and Denmark who started going about 15 years ago and now they try to come at least once a year or every other year. Its not something their parents would have even thought of doing. The Park Capacity issue is the Heart of the Matter at WDW. The 15 years or so that nothing was really added to build capacity is choking the whole place. It also doesnt help with all the New Hotels they keep building without a Thought to Capacity in the parks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom