FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyLuv'r

Chapek already said 17 of the 20 to 21 million visitors are one and done. There are other sites that bare this out. So no, most Americans actually never go to Disney in their lives and those that do go, go once. It's only us people that love Disney find that hard to believe.
I wasn't saying 10% of Americans go to WDW every year. Two posters were refuting that people they personally knew went to WDW once a year/didn't go once per year.

We are WDW forum members, we may well have a disproportionate number of friends/family/co-workers who go to WDW approximately once a year.

Or, conversely, a forum member who lives far from WDW, say AK, they might have few friends/family/co-workers that visit WDW relative to the total population of America.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No, they removed benches and planters in anticipation of the expected GE crowds.
1625674400859.gif

MickeyLuv'r

Simmer and spring break for someone to come to Disney ...
I think you meant summer...but 'Simmer" is a funny substitute for summer in FL. :)

..Dah dah, da doo, uh bah bah bah bah bah boo
The hot and the cold are both so intense
Put 'em together it just makes sense!
Rrr raht da daht dah dah dah had dah dah dah dah doo
Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle
But put me in summer and I'll be a happy....

el_super

No, they removed benches and planters in anticipation of the expected GE crowds.

Right... because they were concerned that attendance was going to increase above the 18 million/year it was already at. It was a dire situation for the ops teams at DLR. I'd even dare to suggest that DLR served as the breaking point and realization that attendance growth wasn't sustainable any longer and that new pricing strategies and capacity management solutions were absolutely necessary to continue growth.

Part of the shock we are seeing expressed here is that the system hasn't changed for 20+ years, and people are taking the Fastpass changes out of context. The current pricing/ticketing/capacity strategies have been on the chopping block from the top down since before Galaxy's Edge actually opened.

pdude81

This is a non-optimized approach as discussed in my previous post in this thread. That is not the way to maximize revenues. As a consumer not my ideal, but as a business:

I would be showing different prices to deluxe, mod, value, good neighbor, offsite, in-state AP, out of state AP, multiday, day, and after 4pm guests as a baseline. Then I would be looking at real-time inventory as a way to do surge pricing. I would also factor how many potential hours the guest has in the park before close. Custom pricing to maximize every transaction will lead to max revenues. Now your costs to get that system could be exorbitant, so I am not saying this is the max profit model.

Oh, and I would also want to be looking at turnstile clicks to move guests around. Attendance at AK down? Throw out $5 straight to the front of the line offers for FOP to a guest at another park or one who has not checked in for the day. Space over capacity but Thunder lagging? How about $3 off your next ride if you claim it in 60 minutes.

Again, I do not think Disney will pull this off and will go with the approach you describe above. It might be the best way to get the job down based on their current in house capabilities.
They risk alienating many domestic guests before even the return of most international guests if they go for the jugular on price increases. And Disney could have asked us to pay for fastpasses in the past and did not, so there is precedent in not maximizing all revenue streams.

Also it's easier to get people used (addicted) to a product at an acceptable price before the real increases. Harder to tell investors that you were too aggressive and now have to lower prices due to weak demand.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Right... because they were concerned that attendance was going to increase above the 18 million/year it was already at. It was a dire situation for the ops teams at DLR. I'd even dare to suggest that DLR served as the breaking point and realization that attendance growth wasn't sustainable any longer and that new pricing strategies and capacity management solutions were absolutely necessary to continue growth.

Part of the shock we are seeing expressed here is that the system hasn't changed for 20+ years, and people are taking the Fastpass changes out of context. The current pricing/ticketing/capacity strategies have been on the chopping block from the top down since before Galaxy's Edge actually opened.
Sad but true

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They risk alienating many domestic guests before even the return of most international guests if they go for the jugular on price increases. And Disney could have asked us to pay for fastpasses in the past and did not, so there is precedent in not maximizing all revenue streams.

Also it's easier to get people used (addicated) to a product at an acceptable price before the real increases. Harder to tell investors that you were too aggressive and now have to lower prices due to weak demand.
Good god…you had to bring up the awful dining plan and after hours, didn’t you?!?🤡

matt9112

The high parking fees in Boston are a result of the lawsuits around the Big Dig from Environmentalists. A cap was placed on the number of paid parking spots in the city, which causes the higher prices. The idea was to raise the parking rates, drive the commuters to the MBTA and reduce pollution.
Artificially playing with economics is something goverments need to forget how to do.

aaronml

Also it's easier to get people used (addicated) to a product at an acceptable price before the real increases. Harder to tell investors that you were too aggressive and now have to lower prices due to weak demand.
Plenty of things Disney could monetize but hasn’t…. They could charge extra to use one of their bathrooms, to see the fireworks, for the “convenience” of placing a mobile food order, to have a CM take a photo of you using your phone/camera, etc.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
At least now there isn't much of a financial incentive for short park hours. If every hour makes fastpass money then they can have after hours from 12-3 and people will still see it as a bargain. Hell, I'll go too
But what about paid fastpass during the last 3 hours of the day that costs $129? 🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom