FASTPASS Coming to “Monsters Inc.”

mccgavin

Pirates is the current rumor, and it makes sense with the line changes they've been running for the past few weeks (everyone goes up the right hand side instead of split under the bridge) which would lead to the left hand side being FP return.
I really don't see how this is logistically possible. Because of the two standby lines the queue is able to hold double the capacity it would be able to otherwise. If they reserved one of the two lines for Fastpass the line to the right would massively overflow all through New Orleans Square on a regular basis and the left line would only ever be about a quarter full, leaving a lot of empty space.

PiratesMansion

I assumed the reason they haven't added FP to Pirates yet is because they realized logistically they don't have the space to make it practical now when the line regularly spills out into the midway. But it will inevitably come someday. They were ::thisclose:: to adding it a few years ago; they even announced it.

Perhaps some day they'll realize that they could demolish the Dream Suite that is sitting there collecting dust and use that space to hold more queuing area for Pirates.

They'll find a way sooner or later.

Phroobar

I really don't see how this is logistically possible. Because of the two standby lines the queue is able to hold double the capacity it would be able to otherwise. If they reserved one of the two lines for Fastpass the line to the right would massively overflow all through New Orleans Square on a regular basis and the left line would only ever be about a quarter full, leaving a lot of empty space.
Exactly. We've seen that many times before. The executives never learn.

Phroobar

Per person per day? Even by Disney standards that would be excessive.
But it's also industry standard.
Six Flags Flash Pass - $85
Cedar Fair Fast Lane - $75
Universal Studios Express Pass - $60 on slow days to $150 on busy days two parks.
Everyone else does not have a free "fast pass" option like Disney currently does so you are forced use it or stand in the stand by line. I see free fast pass going away and Max Pass costing at least this like everyone else charges.

drizgirl

But it's also industry standard.
Six Flags Flash Pass - $85
Cedar Fair Fast Lane - $75
Universal Studios Express Pass - $60 on slow days to $150 on busy days two parks.
Everyone else does not have a free "fast pass" option like Disney currently does so you are forced use it or stand in the stand by line. I see free fast pass going away and Max Pass costing at least this like everyone else charges.
I know Universal admission is comparable, but how does the cost of Disney admission compare to Six Flags or Cedar Fair? And if I want to stay onsite at Universal, I can get the FP for free. Disney could never support that.

Last edited:

Phroobar

I know Universal admission is comparable, but how does cost Disney admission compare to Six Flags or Cedar Fair? And if I want to stay onsite at Universal, I can get the FP for free. Disney could never support that.
Good point. Let's look at Knotts as an Cedar Fair example. Front gate ticket is $84. Fun Pix (Cedar fair photo pass) is $29. Fast Lane is $75. So baring $20-$40 difference in gate ticket cost, a Knotts "Max Pass" would be $100 per person per day. Disney's Max Pass is $20.

Staying at Universal does give you that Express Pass and the hotels are just expensive at Disneyland's. Free Max Passes for hotel guests would be great but like you said would never happen.

Curious Constance

Good point. Let's look at Knotts as an Cedar Fair example. Front gate ticket is $84. Fun Pix (Cedar fair photo pass) is $29. Fast Lane is $75. So baring $20-$40 difference in gate ticket cost, a Knotts "Max Pass" would be $100 per person per day. Disney's Max Pass is $20.

Staying at Universal does give you that Express Pass and the hotels are just expensive at Disneyland's. Free Max Passes for hotel guests would be great but like you said would never happen.
Aren’t universal’s front of the line passes more robust than what you get with MaxPass? I think the universal option gets you on every single attraction with no wait. Disney is only a fraction of their’s.

Phroobar

Aren’t universal’s front of the line passes more robust than what you get with MaxPass? I think the universal option gets you on every single attraction with no wait. Disney is only a fraction of their’s.
It's every ride once per day. Of course you are only talking about eight rides. With a ticket like that, I could ride everything in about an hour and then do the tram. Two hours and done with Universal Studios for the next five years.

Last edited:

AJFireman

Pirates is the current rumor, and it makes sense with the line changes they've been running for the past few weeks (everyone goes up the right hand side instead of split under the bridge) which would lead to the left hand side being FP return.

Not sure how valid this rumor is since they had it in the early 2000's and removed it. Then again installed it in 2018 during the refurb and never utilized it. They have since even removed the FP scanner . I guess it would be an easy install since the infrastructure is there.

This picture is after the 2018 refurbishment.
1581571658897.png

flutas

I assumed the reason they haven't added FP to Pirates yet is because they realized logistically they don't have the space to make it practical now when the line regularly spills out into the midway.
Not sure how valid this rumor is since they had it in the early 2000's and removed it. Then again installed it in 2018 during the refurb and never utilized it. They have since even removed the FP scanner . I guess it would be an easy install since the infrastructure is there.

Something different compared to that pic is the way they are running the line. Instead of utilizing the left ramp, they are currently only using the right one. So the FP return may be walking up to the left side of the entrance rather than going under the bridge.

It would add a little more queue space in the bottom part for standby, but it still would be cutting out the left alley waiting area completely for standby.

Purduevian

Don't confuse Ride Wait Time with Ride Physical Length. Adding Fastpass to POTC will actually decrease the number of people in line significantly needing less physical quene space. Lets just say POTC is 3,000pph and has a line of 1 hour. That means the quene needs to hold 3,000 people.

Now adding fastpass into the equation. Assume Fastpass is getting 60% of the ride capacity (it ranges from 50-80 depending on the ride I've heard). Now Pirates wait time has ballooned to 1.25 hours instead of 1 hour. However now only (3,000*(1-.6)) 1,200 people per hour from the stand by line are able to ride per hour. That means that even though the wait time increased from 1 to 1.25 hours, there are only 1,500 people in line instead of the original 3,000.

You are about to see a very similar case with SWGE:SR. The extended queue through the shipping containers is about to become very rare, even though wait times will also increase

Phroobar

Don't confuse Ride Wait Time with Ride Physical Length. Adding Fastpass to POTC will actually decrease the number of people in line significantly needing less physical quene space. Lets just say POTC is 3,000pph and has a line of 1 hour. That means the quene needs to hold 3,000 people.

Now adding fastpass into the equation. Assume Fastpass is getting 60% of the ride capacity (it ranges from 50-80 depending on the ride I've heard). Now Pirates wait time has ballooned to 1.25 hours instead of 1 hour. However now only (3,000*(1-.6)) 1,200 people per hour from the stand by line are able to ride per hour. That means that even though the wait time increased from 1 to 1.25 hours, there are only 1,500 people in line instead of the original 3,000.

You are about to see a very similar case with SWGE:SR. The extended queue through the shipping containers is about to become very rare, even though wait times will also increase
On paper maybe. In reality you get a line for pirates that fills everything all the way to the Haunted Mansion.

0611_fea_ocr-l-dlniles-03.jpg

Ismael Flores

I hope they never bring back fastpass for Pirates but if they did they really need to think carefully of how they do it. The last several attempts have caused more damage to crowd control then what its worth. The biggest mistake is that they end up closing off one whole queue line for fastpass. They really should figure out a way of reusing the whole side queue that used to wrap around the eastern side of the attraction. Then instead of blocking off one whole queue line for fastpass have it merge to the regular line inside the indoor queue. It would be so easy to add a side door where one of the windows is that faces east.
just have fastpass use the side queue area and allow the regular lines to stay open.

Last edited:

Purduevian

On paper maybe. In reality you get a line for pirates that fills everything all the way to the Haunted Mansion.

0611_fea_ocr-l-dlniles-03.jpg

Yeah idk how they managed that queue... but someone did something very wrong for that to happen. Just look at the queue length for something like ROTR the line won't be close to holding the line if its standby only.

Phroobar

Yeah idk how they managed that queue... but someone did something very wrong for that to happen. Just look at the queue length for something like ROTR the line won't be close to holding the line if its standby only.
Yeah, TDA added fast pass to Pirates.

In reality, I blame a complete mismanagement of the system. There are too many FP given out on high volume days. The cast member at the switch doesn't keep proper ratios and forgets about stand by.

Free fast pass should be removed and Max Pass price should be increased to $100 to make it more industry standard. Stand by line should be the only line unless you are willing to pay big money. That is the way it works at every non-Disney park in the world.

Communicora

Premium Member
This must be to artificially inflate the very low wait times or sell max pass.
The app could do a better job of showing you attractions beyond ones with MaxPass. It is easy to accidentally get focused on which passes are available instead of choosing to go to an attraction that doesn’t have FP. I agree they are doing this to “add value” to MaxPass which is annoying and will lead to longer waits for attractions that should have short queues. That mentality has really harmed WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom