Fastest Ride at WDW

WDW John

Originally posted by Michael Darling
A killer whale dropped out of an airplane will have a different terminal velocity than me jumping out of an airplane.

So if you and the whale exited the plane at the exact same time the whale would hit the ground first? Or you would?

Also, I'm confused, are we now saying that dropping 13 stories in 2 seconds has no speed? I am accelerating to the ground at a higher rate than gravity would pull me on it's own. Seems fast. Isn't that what we are talking about here?

Michael Darling

Mass (or for the folks who have a hard time thinking of mass and weight as two different things, weight) has absolutely nothing to do with the velocity of an object in a true freefall.

A terminal velocity is the maximum velocity an object in a freefall can reach due to the resistance of air on the object.

A vacuum is the only place you can truely have an absolutely pure freefall. Anywhere there is air you will have wind resistance which will vary with both mass and surface area. This has absolutely nothing to do with the Tower of Terror because the wind resistance in such a small system can be considered negligable.

The elevators are pulled downward from a standstill (remember that at the very top of their up/down motion their velocity is zero) with an initial acceleration of about 11.76M/s/s (that's about 1.2G- forgive me if the acceleration is off, that's what I remember figuring out one day when somebody asked me). That's to say that after one second of that acceleration (assuming it's constant, which it isn't on the ride) the car would be moving toward the ground at 11.76M/s.

Yes, when you are moving toward the ground you are initially accelerating toward it... but at the moment you begin to slow you are actually accelerating away from the earth. (consult your nearest physics book for a brief lesson in basic kinematics to fully understand more)

Sorry for being so crass in my first post, but look who I hang around with... ;)

Mikejakester

to find out the speed of the elavator you can use this equation.

v=V(o) + a(t)

V= Final Velocity
V(o)= Incial velocity
a= Aceleration (freefall, {9.81})
t= Time.

let say the elevator is droped for 3 seconds.

v=?
V(o)= 11.76m/s^2 (acording to michael)
a= 9.81
t=3 s.

v= 11.76m/s^2+ (9.81m/s^2)(3s)
the seconds cancel out and we are left with m/s which is velocity
v=41.19 m/s or 92.15 mph

so the speed at the bottom of the tower IF IT WERE TO be DROP WITH NO BREAKS FOR 3 SECONDS. would be 92.15 mph. But I don't think it would reach that. becuase it's starts decelerating around the 2 second mark to go back up. If anyone has more info... or if something is wrong. Please tell me. we learn from our mistakes. :D :king: :wave:

braddini

Originally posted by Mikejakester
to find out the speed of the elavator you can use this equation.

v=V(o) + a(t)

V= Final Velocity
V(o)= Incial velocity
a= Aceleration (freefall, {9.81})
t= Time.

let say the elevator is droped for 3 seconds.

v=?
a= 9.81
t=3 s.

v=41.19 m/s or 92.15 mph

so the speed at the bottom of the tower IF IT WERE TO be DROP WITH NO BREAKS FOR 3 SECONDS. would be 92.15 mph. But I don't think it would reach that. becuase it's starts decelerating around the 2 second mark to go back up. If anyone has more info... or if something is wrong. Please tell me. we learn from our mistakes. :D :king: :wave:

aw!!! i love physics

WDW John

so the speed at the bottom of the tower IF IT WERE TO be DROP WITH NO BREAKS FOR 3 SECONDS. would be 92.15 mph.

OK, I seem to remember way back when ToT opened the claim was that you would drop 13 stories in 2 seconds. Like I said it's what I remember from about 10 years ago when there was one drop all the way from the top (of the shaft), but I could be wrong.

If that were true the actual speed of the fall would be more than 92.15 MPH (based on a 3 second drop). However, by using the equation you provided I come up with a SLOWER speed, which is contradictory. You can't move an equal distance in less time at a slower speed (just to clarify, I mean on Earth, at WDW :) ). What's up with that?

I also noticed that your equation says "a= Acceleration (freefall, {9.81})". The problem here is that we aren't in a freefall on ToT, we are being pulled down at a higher rate than gravity alone would provide.

PS: You guys need to lighten up... :)

Mikejakester

You guys need to lighten up...

What do you mean by lighten up?

If that were true the actual speed of the fall would be more than 92.15 MPH (based on a 3 second drop). However, by using the equation you provided I come up with a SLOWER speed, which is contradictory. You can't move an equal distance in less time at a slower speed

i don't seem to understand where you comming from, but I never talked about distance. I just figured out the Velocity. I don't know where you got the distance. But I would love to the see what you did with the calculations BTW. But anyway...
Lets try it with 2 seconds.

You said it your self, the elevator is pulled down by what MICHAEL said at 11. 76 Meters/ Second So thats your inicial Speed.

So you have

Final Velocity=(inicial Velocity) + (aceleration of Gravity)(time)
Final velocity= (11.76) + (9.81)(2)
final Velocity = (11.76) + ( 19.62)
Final Velocity = 31.38 m/s or 70.21 mph

Now you know that the elevator at the bottom of the shaft before it stops can reach a velocity of 70.21 mph with an incial speed of 11.76 m/s or 26.31 mph

In order to find the distance travel during that time you use this equation.

(Final velocity)^2 = (inicial velocity )^2 + 2(gravity) ( distance)

We found out that the final velocity is 31.38 m/s on the problem above. So now we solve for distance.

(31.38)^2=( 11.76)^2 + 2(9.81) (distance)

Solve for distance

984.70= 138.29 + (19.62)(distance)

846.41= (19.62) (distance)

43.14 meters= distance traveled.

Now this is the distance traveled of the elevator. To find out how many stories that is we first have to estimate how tall each story is. From my house I can tell my ceiling is about 10 ft high. Thats about 3 meters tall. so we do this...

Divide 43.14 by 3 meter for each floor gives us

43.14/3= 14.38 Stories high... This number is on and off depending on how tall the stories of the actual building is. But it's more or less. and it's acurate to your 13 stories high.. take away the friction by the wheels and you'll get 13 stories high.

Man I love Physics! Hahahahah
:D :lol:

I really hope that anwsers your question. I really can't see it any other way... Please if you have anymore questions feel free! I love this stuff!
:slurp: :D :hammer: :sohappy: :wave:

Lighten up pal! :wave:

Velocity= 70.21 MPH
Distance traveled =43.14 meters or 141.54 ft. or aproximatly 13 stories ( 14 .38 stories high)
Time = 2 seconds.

TOT!!!

WDWspider

Is there a friggin' test? :lol:

OK, so is the bus the fastest or not?

And on the Elevator deal, a bus accelerates forward, just as the elevator accelerates downward, so they each have a speed. One is just easier to calculate than the other.

nikechic

I think this is very funny coming from a mechanical engineer. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Come to the Civil Engineering side, it is much much better.

WDW John

i don't seem to understand where you comming from, but I never talked about distance. I just figured out the Velocity. I don't know where you got the distance.

I know you didn't mention distance (earlier) but that is why I was confused. When you figured the drop at 3 seconds the speed was 92.15 MPH. At 2 seconds it comes out to 70.21 MPH. My confusion is that the distance doesn't change, so with my feeble brain I figured that the rate would have to be higher in a 2 second drop than in a 3 second drop. Now that I've thought about it more I understand that the equation doesn't care about distance at all.

But I would love to the see what you did with the calculations BTW.

I did the same thing you did with the 2 second drop and came up with the 70 MPH figure. Thus, my confusion.

OK, here's my next confusion:

v=?
a= 9.81
t=3 s.

v=41.19 m/s or 92.15 mph

I thought that velocity would be m/s and acceleration would be m/s^2. Why is initial velocity 11.76m/s^2? Isn't that an acceleration? If that is the case would the seconds still cancel out? If the seconds don't cancel out does that change the Final Velocity?

Please if you have anymore questions feel free! I love this stuff!

I always have questions. So far this is my last one. At this point are we hitting 70.21 MPH and then slamming into the basement floor? We haven't accounted for braking at all. If the fall truly is 13 floors in 2 seconds that 2 seconds must include braking time, right? If so, how does that affect the final velocity above?

trendymagic

Well I know according to Disney that it is Test Track, but with all this math... ToT wins it for me. In a close second is that car cleared for takeoff on World Drive.

s25843

According to the Travel Channel Secrets of WDW (I saved it on DVD) Tower of Terror drops at 1900 FPM (Feet Per Minute) so that works out to about 32 feet a second

WDW John

Originally posted by WDW John
I thought that velocity would be m/s and acceleration would be m/s^2. Why is initial velocity 11.76m/s^2? Isn't that an acceleration? If that is the case would the seconds still cancel out? If the seconds don't cancel out does that change the Final Velocity?

OK, after staring at this a little longer I'm figuring that the 11.76m/s^2 is a typo and it's just supposed to be 11.76m/s, right? The seconds that are cancelling out are the a and the t, I think.

Originally posted by s25843
According to the Travel Channel Secrets of WDW (I saved it on DVD) Tower of Terror drops at 1900 FPM (Feet Per Minute) so that works out to about 32 feet a second

That would be just about the same as gravity, but supposedly ToT PULLS you to the ground faster than gravity would.

Also, I'm curious now 'cause I remember the feeling that there may be multiple accelerations, or, we accelerate down at one rate briefly, then the acceleration increases briefly, then again, then brake. Anyone else get that feeling ever?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom