Fast passes

NelleBelle

My 60 day fastpass window was today managed to get everything we wanted including 3 separate days for avatar but couldn't get ONE TSMM fastpass over a 2 week period?? anyone know why?
Maybe people are holding other FP to lesser rides as random for bargaining power to trade up to get FoP 😉 Sorry, no idea other than its getting closer to TSL opening????? 🤔

Rumrunner

I don’t know if this has been talked about but what do people think of fast passes? I like them when I have them but when I get in a stand by line I feel like we never move. The last trip we took seemed like every line was longer because they felt like they needed to get the fast pass people through. And even the fast pass lines were getting long.
My thought is what if they just got rid of them? I feel as if the lines would get shorter and it would seem like the lines would move quicker making it seem shorter?
What are your thoughts?
The new reality at Disney-lines are going to be long all year long with or without fast passes.

My 60 day fastpass window was today managed to get everything we wanted including 3 separate days for avatar but couldn't get ONE TSMM fastpass over a 2 week period?? anyone know why?
I’m pretty sure the issue is that it’s unclear whether TSMM will even have any fastpasses until Toy Story Land opens.

Disney has announced that there will be NO fastpasses from April 9th-May 7th and only the standby line open during that period (with just 1 track operating) so expect a massive line. They are doing this as they work to transition the new entrance, which will actually eventually be on the backside of the ride (within Toy Story Land). These details about the fastpasses not being offered during April 9-May 7 we’re actually announced BEFORE Disney announced when Toy Story Land would open (now announced for June 30th). Once the opening date for Toy Story Land was officially announced there have been no follow-ups on whether this April 9-May 7 block of no fastpasses will be extended or whether fastpasses (and the opening of the other tracks) will resume after May 7th.

So now it is still unclear it seems what will happen with TSMM between May 7th and June 30th (almost 2 months) when the Toy Story Land opens. Will the ride still be accessible via standby after May 7th (just still without fastpasses)? If so, will more tracks be open or just the 1/3. Will the ride be closing for a period (weeks? 1 month?) to make the full switch of the ride’s entrance inside Toy Story Land until the Land opens?

Disney really hasn’t explained what will happen to the ride during this transition. With your 60 day window it looks like you may still be in this window of April 9th-May 7th though, right? So that’s why I think you’re not seeing TSMM as a FastPass option. If you’re still not seeing anything after that block it might also be a sign of these unanswered questions.

NelleBelle

I think you and I are going about the same time and same family sizes. :)
We are arriving early June 2 (flight arrives like a 6:00am :eek: and we need to figure out what we plan to do that first day after being on a "red eye") and leaving June 12 (in the evening, yay)! We're a party of 7 but DS's friend may be backing out on us so may just be the 6 of us:confused:. What are your dates?

katieee

I’m pretty sure the issue is that it’s unclear whether TSMM will even have any fastpasses until Toy Story Land opens.

Disney has announced that there will be NO fastpasses from April 9th-May 7th and only the standby line open during that period (with just 1 track operating) so expect a massive line. They are doing this as they work to transition the new entrance, which will actually eventually be on the backside of the ride (within Toy Story Land). These details about the fastpasses not being offered during April 9-May 7 we’re actually announced BEFORE Disney announced when Toy Story Land would open (now announced for June 30th). Once the opening date for Toy Story Land was officially announced there have been no follow-ups on whether this April 9-May 7 block of no fastpasses will be extended or whether fastpasses (and the opening of the other tracks) will resume after May 7th.

So now it is still unclear it seems what will happen with TSMM between May 7th and June 30th (almost 2 months) when the Toy Story Land opens. Will the ride still be accessible via standby after May 7th (just still without fastpasses)? If so, will more tracks be open or just the 1/3. Will the ride be closing for a period (weeks? 1 month?) to make the full switch of the ride’s entrance inside Toy Story Land until the Land opens?

Disney really hasn’t explained what will happen to the ride during this transition. With your 60 day window it looks like you may still be in this window of April 9th-May 7th though, right? So that’s why I think you’re not seeing TSMM as a FastPass option. If you’re still not seeing anything after that block it might also be a sign of these unanswered questions.
Thanks Jefferson5436!!
we are going from may 2nd-may 16th. i presume there were no fastpasses for our entire stay as i tried quite a few different days and none available at all right at the 60day open time! i can't go on any ride but that in hollywood studios as im pregnant so will be gutted if the lines huge! 😫😩

Cat_M

I’m booking fast passes for 11 people and find this a lot easier than doing it when we get to the park, everyone squabbling about where to go first, what rides to fast pass etc.

I’ve got a spreadsheet (nerd) with everyone’s names and selections on and it is so much easier to do it all on the app (plus the time difference here means I’m doing it at 12pm so no 7am morning rush).

Hardest bit was linking the tickets because it only let me do 10 (sorry little brother). Now THAT took half a day to solve and several calls to Disney.

We’re staying off resort so we’re at 30 day but sad to see a lot of the big rides have already gone. Not holding out hope for FoP which I have to book in a few days’ time 😬

DfromATX

We are arriving early June 2 (flight arrives like a 6:00am :eek: and we need to figure out what we plan to do that first day after being on a "red eye") and leaving June 12 (in the evening, yay)! We're a party of 7 but DS's friend may be backing out on us so may just be the 6 of us:confused:. What are your dates?

We're going June 14! We are all so excited! We are also usually 6 people, but this trip we are bringing along my son's girlfriend, a first for us bringing an "outsider" but we love her so... (They are in their 20's. I don't mind if she becomes my daughter-in-law someday, at least that's what I'm hoping for ha ha.) We arrive about lunch time and will eat at the hotel, but then later head out to Disney Springs for bowling and dinner. We won't hit the parks until the next day. I'm really anxious to do my fast passes, especially FOP.

DfromATX

I’ve got a spreadsheet (nerd) with everyone’s names and selections on and it is so much easier to do it all on the app (plus the time difference here means I’m doing it at 12pm so no 7am morning rush).

😬

LOL I made my first spread sheet this time. I was determined to see if the dining plan would be worth it for us so I actually typed out everywhere we were eating (and would possibly eat) with an estimated cost for the meals. By the way, the dining plan was about $1,000 MORE than not doing it, but that's another topic...

Cat_M

LOL I made my first spread sheet this time. I was determined to see if the dining plan would be worth it for us so I actually typed out everywhere we were eating (and would possibly eat) with an estimated cost for the meals. By the way, the dining plan was about $1,000 MORE than not doing it, but that's another topic...
That’s impressive!

MrsPrice96

In the Parks
No
I really do not like the new system. Stand by lines are much longer. Last time we went they made sure FP lines never had anyone waiting for even a minute. The old paper fast pass system just worked wonders.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
I love the new system as compared to paper FP and pre-FP.

Pre-FP - get to park at opening, enjoy 5-6 attractions before lunch, then wait in standby lines for the rest of the day, getting about 4-5 more attractions before dinner, and maybe 2 more after dinner. 11-13 total attractions, 3-4 hours in lines.

Paper-FP - get to park at opening, split up and run around park to get FP for popular attractions while rest of family enjoys an attraction, then do an attraction, repeat process for rest of the day. I got a lot of steps in, but generally we enjoyed 5-6 attractions with FP, 4-5 attractions without FP, and those who didn't run around to get FP did 2 more attractions. 9-13 total attractions, maybe 2 hours in lines, very exhausted FP runner.

FP+ - book 3 attractions at times I choose in advance. Get to park at opening and enjoy 5-6 attractions before lunch (1 with FP+), then do 2 FP+ and 3-4 attractions that get lesser lines (shows, usually), maybe 2 more attractions after dinner. 12-14 total attractions, maybe 2 hours in lines.

Yes, it takes some planning to do the newest system, but in our situation it definitely seems to work the best. We plan them out so we don't have to run around the park. If you book them at the window opening you usually can get some choices of times and attractions; if there are headliners you MUST do and can't get FP+, then do them at rope drop (which is likely what you were doing in the old system anyway).

graphite1326

Whilst I remember that too, I think the best system was the paper FP system with them only available on the day at the attraction (with less attractions having them).
The problem with the paper system, and I had seen this a few times, is while a Brazilian Tour group was on a ride they would have someone with all their cards getting all the fastpasses. I always thought that is why they went to this system. Or at least one factor. Of course when BTG season was over it probably wasn't abused like this.

mergatroid

The problem with the paper system, and I had seen this a few times, is while a Brazilian Tour group was on a ride they would have someone with all their cards getting all the fastpasses. I always thought that is why they went to this system. Or at least one factor. Of course when BTG season was over it probably wasn't abused like this.

To be honest I doubt that was the reason and it's probably not really abusing the system. I'd much rather 1 person get all 50 FP's at once for the group as them doing it individually would probably take longer? The only downside would be you might join a FP machine queue as there's only 2 people in it, not knowing the person directly in front of you is going to be getting 50 FP's. The alternative is you queue for your FP behind 50 people as they're going to get them regardless of which method they use.

I imagine the tour groups from various places still get 50 FP+'s to ride together but now do it online 60 or 30 days in advance, so you still may end up behind them in the FP+ attraction queue anyway. In fairness though if all 50 have paid to get in, they're as entitled as anyone to get FP+'s in whichever way they can. Just my thoughts though, others may find a flaw in my view.

graphite1326

To be honest I doubt that was the reason and it's probably not really abusing the system. I'd much rather 1 person get all 50 FP's at once for the group as them doing it individually would probably take longer? The only downside would be you might join a FP machine queue as there's only 2 people in it, not knowing the person directly in front of you is going to be getting 50 FP's. The alternative is you queue for your FP behind 50 people as they're going to get them regardless of which method they use.

I imagine the tour groups from various places still get 50 FP+'s to ride together but now do it online 60 or 30 days in advance, so you still may end up behind them in the FP+ attraction queue anyway. In fairness though if all 50 have paid to get in, they're as entitled as anyone to get FP+'s in whichever way they can. Just my thoughts though, others may find a flaw in my view.
You are probably right but as I remember there were many times I approached a FP station only to find there were no times left. No different than now I guess. But it was annoying at that time to see someone doing this and me unable to get a FP.

I am sure this was not anticipated when they set up the ticket type system. At least now we all have a fair shot at getting a FP.

DfromATX

I have wondered how the new FP system affects the big tour groups. I remember those days of one person getting a hundred fast passes. I guess they're doing their planning at home before the trip just like we are.

TheDuke

I've long suspected that FP's made waits longer, although according to some accounts here that wasn't the case.

Regardless of the issue above, which has given me mixed feelings about FP in general over the years, FP+ is a huge improvement over the old system. You used to have to run straight to popular rides to get an FP right when you got there, sometimes wait in line just for that. Or sometimes they'd be sold out if you didn't get there in time, or only be available at times that didn't work with you. Now you can get three FPs instead of just one at just about any time you want without spending any of your time in the park getting them. The only potential downside is that local passholders will have a harder time spontaneously going to Disney on a whim, but I think it's clearly better for tourists, who have to plan their trip anyway, and to me the loss of spontaneity is more than a fair trade off for the convenience and the fact that FP+ just enables you to do more things.

For instance, my brother and I have gotten into the habit of going to MK at night after work on the nights when they're open to 11 or midnight. We generally get in the park around 6:30ish. We have our three FPs lined up in advance which enables us to do much more things during our short spurts in the park. We never would have been able to do that before because the FPs would have been sold out (at least for the big rides) by the time we got there.

TheDuke

How is booking 3 FPs "planning every second of the day"? Three hours, at most. Quite honestly I can skip the ADRs.

I'm the kind of person who is usually a planner and enjoys things more if I planned it in advance and have been anticipating it. But even if you like spontaneity it seems like you would prefer planning fun things than spontaneously waiting in line 2 hours for Space Mountain or Peter Pan because the FPs were sold out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom