Fast passes

JusticeDisney

Well that have it, it just costs a fair bit more.

The thing is, a large scale unlimited fastpass like US has would not work at WDW. They have far too many guests.

To even begin to make it work they would have to eliminate the current fastpass entirely and make it a pay only system with only a certain amount available each day.
I totally agree that the express pass system could not coexist with the current FP+ system. And with that said, I would prefer that Disney scrap what they currently have and go with the pay-only system like that used at US. The fact that spots would ultimately become unavailable bothers me none as that is precisely what happens with the current system.

BoarderPhreak

Disney trips "in the old days" were a lot simpler and decidedly more free-wheeling and "hands on." Now with FP and dining reservations, you have to have a lengthy session (or several, LOL) with MDE and meticulously strategize and plan (and still hope for the best) to set up a rigid framework around which you build (or simply wing) the rest of your trip. Neither system is for the faint of heart. A relaxing vacation, Disney is not (unless you totally wing it; but good luck getting on "the big rides" and having a nice dinner).

danyoung56

I'm just amazed that people have such a hard time with a little scheduling. On the day that my FP+ window opens up, I make my selections, and then it's done. I spend maybe 1/2 an hour on it, and don't even think about it again till I arrive. Some people make it sound like they have to spend HOURS every day scheduling and re-scheduling, and that just ain't so.

Me 'Earties

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate
In the paper FP days I didn't have kids, so running all over to grab fast passes wasn't an issue at all.

I do kinda dislike that the randomness is pretty much gone now, and every second of my trip is pre-planned months in advance. However, with 3 children under 5, it makes it alot better knowing we will be able to go on certain rides with minimal wait. Plus we go at a slower pace, so the 3-4 rides we'd have guaranteed for the day might be pushing it towards their limits without have to go back and rest anyway.

As I’m reading things here, I can see both sides of the coin. But, it really depends on your own situation.

We’re in a similar boat. However, the issue with young kids: unpredictability (at least our kids). So for me, I don’t like trying to figure out what park/what attraction we may get on 30-60 days in advance. Do I like that I don’t have to wait 60 minutes for Pooh? Yes-FP+ will do the trick when I booked it so far in advance. FP+ is great when/if everything goes to plan. However, what usually happens on our trips is that day of, plans change based on what’s going on with our kids that very day. We probably don’t use half the FP+ that we’ve made on basically every trip we’ve done since having kids. And I’m the super planner for the fam. And then it’s frustrating to try to get on Pooh in the morning, when you previously (60days prior) thought you were gonna be riding Frozen. I dunno-for me, I like paper FP because I could at least decide day of what park we’d be going to, and try to snag some FPS that we wanted to do. And I will state: in all my years go to WDW, I have never done rope drops. Never. Until last Sept. when I went on a trip with a friend, sans kids, and we did rope drop to get onto FoP. With that being said, paper FP was still fine (did typically everything we wanted); but feel like it’s necessary nowadays because you’re limited to the number of upper tier attractions (E rides) with FP+.

Anyhow, I can understand why people like either system though. Perhaps something in between would be better, IMO.

Last edited:

NelleBelle

I'm just amazed that people have such a hard time with a little scheduling. On the day that my FP+ window opens up, I make my selections, and then it's done. I spend maybe 1/2 an hour on it, and don't even think about it again till I arrive. Some people make it sound like they have to spend HOURS every day scheduling and re-scheduling, and that just ain't so.
I think the problem a lot of us have is that WDW doesn't post their hours/EMH at 180-days when you can make your ADRs, so planning which park (and what time you're going to be in that park) makes it difficult. Add the fact that some of us are trying to make FP for large groups and yes, it does take a fair bit of time. If I can't find the time for my family (there are 7 of us this trip) to ride what we want to ride all together on the specific day that works with the specific restaurant we planned 120 days ago, then yes, I may be checking every few hours/days to see if something opens up. Glad the system works out for you, but to say it "ain't so" that others aren't spending a lot of time with trying to match FP with their schedules, I am not alone in saying that it is indeed so.

Dave B

A little off topic, but definitely Fast Pass question.

We can do our fast passes this Saturday, yeah!!!

What time can I get on, I thought it was different from ADR's, but maybe not.

6 am eastern? 8 am eastern?

Thx

katieee

A little off topic, but definitely Fast Pass question.

We can do our fast passes this Saturday, yeah!!!

What time can I get on, I thought it was different from ADR's, but maybe not.

6 am eastern? 8 am eastern?

Thx

David Ber you must be going on the 2nd May like us? 😀im in the UK and its 12pm here so 7am Florida time if that helps you?

DfromATX

7 am Eastern online and phone

Are you sure about that? I was on the phone with a cast member finalizing some details and he told me 6 a.m. online, which is 5 a.m. my time. o_O My time is coming up and I need to know when to set my alarm!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Are you sure about that? I was on the phone with a cast member finalizing some details and he told me 6 a.m. online, which is 5 a.m. my time. o_O My time is coming up and I need to know when to set my alarm!
Yep, I just made some for my next trip. Tried at 6 am, no luck, my dates opened at 7 am.

NelleBelle

Does anyone think EMH have something to do with resort occupancy?
Hmmm, I don’t know that it’s specifically EMH (although it is annoying when WDW will spontaneously change them, thankfully that seems to be a rare occurrence). It’s more that the park hours and EMH go hand in hand when trying to book 180 day dining reservations and Disney has t released/posted any park hours that far out (and good luck trying figure out if there are any DAH events being thrown into the mix 🙄)! Get it together Disney!!

DfromATX

Hmmm, I don’t know that it’s specifically EMH (although it is annoying when WDW will spontaneously change them, thankfully that seems to be a rare occurrence). It’s more that the park hours and EMH go hand in hand when trying to book 180 day dining reservations and Disney has t released/posted any park hours that far out (and good luck trying figure out if there are any DAH events being thrown into the mix 🙄)! Get it together Disney!!

I think you and I are going about the same time and same family sizes. :)

rkleinlein

I prefer the new FP system. My Reasons are very simple. The new system, avoids having to train to be a runner. In the past, you had to be running all day for FP. The current system helps to have everything more planned. At first, it may seem more entertaining and absurd, but when you understand its operation and apply it with common sense, it is much more optimal. I give some examples.

In the MK exists some rides that without fastpass is very difficult to enjoy, as Peter Pan, Big Thunder or Seven Dawrfs, others depends of regular line is quickly or medium and other is faster as Bears or similar atractions. I classify for example them into three types;

Magic Kingdom
  1. Long lines in Stand by and hard to find FP after the first three fastpass. (Peter Pan, Big Thunder, Seven Dawrfs, Splash, Princess Characters)
  2. Queues less than 1 hour on average and fastpass with relative ease of finding if you look every 15 or 20 minutes the application. (Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Orbit)
  3. Queues of less than 30 hours and constant fastpass in the application (The rest of the park)
In the first time, before arrive I classify all atractions in this three types. Once classified by each park and taking into account the number of days of stay in the parks, I distribute the first three FP of each park depending on whether I repeat or not repeat in that park. Then I take first the FP of group 1 from the furthest from the entrance of the park to the nearest, so that as I run out the third FP I'm in the area with more attractions and I can choose FP near where I am while I enjoy in attractions of the third group.

If I go one day I can see all the attractions of the third group, all of the second group and 50% of the first group, and if I go two days in two days distributing the first group, I see 100% of the attractions.

In the same way, if lunch and dinner are delayed or advanced one hour and fastpass is sought once the first three are spent for that hour gap, the possibilities of finding FP for the attractions of group 1 and 2 are increased. They look for the same thing around the half hour before and after street events in each park.

For each park you can do the same.

Thanks for all guys!!!!
My five day vacation at Disney World took more planning than my two week trip to Paris and Rome. The planning continued DURING our Disney vacation.

It's only a slight hyperbole to say that half the guest in the park at any given time are on their apps planning, making reservations, changing reservations, etc. instead of enjoying the moment.

I'm sure some people enjoy all the planning. Some people have figured out a complicated system that works for them. Thank god for spreadsheets.

But my head spins when I read the post above.

A lot of people don't enjoy that much planning and don't want to follow a minute by minute schedule at a theme park with their kids. But that's not possible anymore. Those days are long gone.

And yes, I know nobody is FORCED to schedule fast passes or make dining reservations, but if you don't, you sure do suffer for it. "Little Betsy wants to ride the Peoplemover again? Sorry, we can't. We have a fast pass appointment at Splash Mountain on the other side of the park and if we don't go we'll have to wait in a two hour line."

katieee

My 60 day fastpass window was today managed to get everything we wanted including 3 separate days for avatar but couldn't get ONE TSMM fastpass over a 2 week period?? anyone know why?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom