Fantasyland Expansion

BasiltheBatLord

Random question for anybody who might know, are attractions like this (the interior sets and AAs I mean) constructed entirely at WDI in California and then shipped over or are they built on site? Just curious since the WDI employees that were interviewed in that vid had Japanese on their nametags.

The_Mesh_Hatter

I think they implied they’re fabricated elsewhere and programmed onsite. The video specifically focused on the programming of the AA movements.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Found a good animated gif of Belle.
1S0G95p.gif

yet DCA gets bing bong, luxo, and incredicoaster.

D.Silentu

Since Frozen is supposed to come to Fantasyland at some point, I hope lessons are taken from this ride. Chiefly in regards to animatronics, scale and especially capacity, with the ten seater vehicle.

Disneylover152

Since Frozen is supposed to come to Fantasyland at some point, I hope lessons are taken from this ride. Chiefly in regards to animatronics, scale and especially capacity, with the ten seater vehicle.

I'm starting to wonder, with the Beauty and the Beast ride taking up ~2 acres, is this ride the best capacity considering the amount of land it takes up? Snow White, Pinocchio, Dumbo, the Carousel, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan's Flight takes up 2 acres, including the walking space.

So I wonder if the Beauty and the Beast ride still has better capacity than the main part of Fantasyland in Disneyland?

D.Silentu

Perhaps the capacity is not as great as I supposed; I was impressed by the trackless, ten-seated vehicle. However, in terms of scale, I do hope it is indicative of what they have in mind.

lazyboy97o

Random question for anybody who might know, are attractions like this (the interior sets and AAs I mean) constructed entirely at WDI in California and then shipped over or are they built on site? Just curious since the WDI employees that were interviewed in that vid had Japanese on their nametags.
Outside of what are more special cases, a lot of fabrication is done by third part vendors and not by Walt Disney Imagineering. It looked like they were working on mock ups, not prefabricated pieces. Mock ups are full size tests of what will be constructed to see it in the actual materials and then use as a reference during construction of the actual facility.

The popular image of a tiny team of Imagineers working on everything isn’t really true, instead there are entire teams dedicated to a single project. Some will go to Japan for on-site direction but others will stay in California. Name tags with the Resort’s local language (Japanese, Traditional Chinese or Simplified Chinese depending on the project), even when in California, wouldn’t be surprising. At the leas, it’s a bit of immersion for the project team.

Animaniac93-98

It's been almost ten years (!) since WDW's Fantasyland expansion was first announced (after blueprints leaked here and elsewhere online).

That was before even The Princess and the Frog was released to theatres, to say nothing of Tangled, Frozen and everything since.

It's safe to say park expansions and Fantasyland rides have come a long way since then...unfortunately, WDW's Fantasyland already looks bad in comparison and hindsight. :confused:

Sharon&Susan

I’d love to see Mary Poppins be represented in Fantasyland as a small mini land with a C or D ticket ride (and maybe repurpose Jumpin’ Jellyfish and retheme it to Mary Poppins). Definitely feel like that’s an IP, that has been underrepresented in the parks (other than in shows) compared to the likes of Frozen and The Little Mermaid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom