Fantasmic Reopening Watch

SplashJacket

Saw the updated Fantasmic for the first time yesterday and tonight. Dragon was in B-mode last night (Maleficent on a stick) for the 8:00, and then working properly today at 9:30.

I went in without watching videos of the new show and without delving into reviews, but I know it generally received warm reception.

Preface: I watched Disneyland’s Fantasmic in March and thought it was unbelievable.

My thoughts: The kept scenes are improved slightly, but the new tech really don’t move the needle that much for me (and I’m a sucker for cool tech). The new scenes are a substantial downgrade. Before the old Pocahontas scene there was a substantial transition that required lengthy water projections to distract the audience. That transition continues (and became longer) yet instead of ending with a big payoff (or a bang) it gets to a 1 actor Pocahontas, a 2 actor Mulan, a 5 actor Aladdin, 1 actor Frozen, and 1 actor Moana. None of the scenes feel big or grand in any way shape or form. The stage remains barren throughout all of it. I don’t disagree random colonialism scene was an odd choice, but it felt grand, it had pacing, and flowed. The new scenes are choppy, small, and random.

Disneyland’s Pirates scene surpasses the Pocahontas scene, but I don’t think the 5 individual scenes even hold a candle to Pocahontas. If Mulan had a dozen actors, the rockets, the villains, etc, it would be awesome, but instead of anything elaborate we get two disengaged actors. No idea why Pocahontas remains at all. Aladdin could’ve been cool with a whole market scene (but already too much like Indiana Jones across the park). The music and moves displayed by Elsa does not match the random effects around her. They have so many effects to play with, but they don’t sync with the character, very strange, honestly. Poorly done.

Moana was fine. All I heard was she walked on water and I was very disappointed . She jumped in a puddle. Elicited no reaction from the audience despite seemingly being a designed big moment. As a quick aside I found interesting, Moana elicited a far larger response than Elsa on both nights.

As a whole, Disneyland already had Hollywood Studio’s Fantasmic beat on grandeur, and this only worsens that gap. Overall, I feel like it’s a downgrade. It’s still Fantasmic, it’s still good, but I don’t think they improved it. I was really excited, because there was a lot of potential, but it honestly feels like Covid-era social distancing Fantasmic light. You’re already paying all these actors, might as well put them in a big grand scene, but they didn’t.

What makes Fantasmic special is the sense of grandeur among actors and theatrics not supplied by the other shows, but this moves away from that, I feel. The show feels closer to Wondrous Journeys with a random actor with Tinkerbell and random miscellaneous character appearances (Wondrous Journey has drones) than a large theatrical performance.

The updates miss the mark on what makes Fantasmic special.

bmr1591

You’re entitled to your opinion, but I much prefer the current version to the old. The Pocahontas scene was long and strange in relation to the rest of the show. Adding in a bunch of different scenes personifies Mickey’s grand, heroic imagination far more than some random colonialism scene. Could they be more grand? Potentially. But overall, they’re a definite upgrade.

SplashJacket

You’re entitled to your opinion, but I much prefer the current version to the old. The Pocahontas scene was long and strange in relation to the rest of the show. Adding in a bunch of different scenes personifies Mickey’s grand, heroic imagination far more than some random colonialism scene. Could they be more grand? Potentially. But overall, they’re a definite upgrade.
Definitely a fair take, like I said, I was never in love with the Pocahontas scene, it was definitely strange, but I also think it conveyed the grandeur of Fantasmic more than the new scenes.

There’s really no visibly grand scene of actors anymore. The snake, jungle, and various scenes use them, but that isn’t conveyed by the content itself. In my opinion, the new scenes don’t properly utilize the cast or tech of Fantasmic, and I think they’re greatly disappointing.

Touchdown

Buggy night for Fantasmic. Something is up with the water screens. First performance the show stopped during the magic carpet sequence, the video simply froze but the audio continued. Show was reset and had no further glitches. 2nd show, the water screens never turned on during the sorcerer Mickey sequence, show was paused and reset. All was good until the magic mirror, screens never went on again show was stopped, they set the stage for the snake but then I think we ran too late because the snake exited and show was canceled.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
Saw Fantasmic the updated Fantasmic for the first time in person and I gotta say, Fantasmic is still great. Even though we didn't get the dragon tonight (maleficent on a stick). The use of the lasers is especially great and I love that kept all the classic elements of the show. Also I saw fireworks to the right and I couldn't figure out where they were coming from. It wasn't Magic Kingdom since it's too far away and there was Christmas party last night. It wasn't Epcot since we saw the 8 PM Fantasmic and Epcot forever was at 9 and there was too many fireworks for it to be any of the other DHS shows. Does anyone know what it could be?

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Saw Fantasmic the updated Fantasmic for the first time in person and I gotta say, Fantasmic is still great. Even though we didn't get the dragon tonight (maleficent on a stick). The use of the lasers is especially great and I love that kept all the classic elements of the show. Also I saw fireworks to the right and I couldn't figure out where they were coming from. It wasn't Magic Kingdom since it's too far away and there was Christmas party last night. It wasn't Epcot since we saw the 8 PM Fantasmic and Epcot forever was at 9 and there was too many fireworks for it to be any of the other DHS shows. Does anyone know what it could be?
It could have been an off property resort because some of those do their own fireworks shows certain nights throughout the year.

Disone

Likely Marriott world center.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
What’s up with the dragon these days? Seems there’s lots of reports of it not being in the show and the audience just getting Maleficent.

DCBaker

Premium Member
A second performance of Fantasmic! has been added to the calendar for most nights between November 18-December 9.

Beginning November 24 through December 9, Fantasmic! showtimes move to 7:30pm and 9pm.

Due to an early closing of Disney's Hollywood Studios on December 10 (see here), there will only be one performance at 7:30pm.

On November 18, 20, 27 and 29, along with December 4, 6, 16, 18, 20, there will only be one performance at 7:15pm due to Disney Jollywood Nights.

Purduevian

Welp... I think they just got me to buy a park hopper. I'm going to MK with my 10 month old that week on a Christmas party night. I assumed a hopper wouldn't be worth it as he wouldn't stay up much past 830... but now that we can see F! at 7:30pm I think the mouse got me.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Anyone know what’s going on with Dragon Maleficent? Was there again last night and we once again had just Maleficent on the platform instead of the dragon. I’ve seen more dragon-less shows in the last two months than I ever did in the last 25 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom