Fantasmic...not so great

pax_65

Remember, the original question was "Is Fantasmic overrated?"

While I enjoy the show and would see it again, I think it is overrated because people and travel guides rate the show too highly.

Personally I prefer Wishes and Illuminations (more spectacular fireworks) but I recognize that's a matter of personal preference. I admit Fantasmic does have a good story and a nice Disney ending.

I'm also not big on waiting for things I've seen before. The chaos, crowds and required waiting for Fantasmic lower the appeal for me.

mitchk

Original Poster
Hey, don't get me wrong, I thought it was an alright show, but after all the good reviews I read about it, I was disappointed. I've never seen the DL version, nor did I have it confused with the one at MGM (as a pervious poster had thought), but the wait was very long, and the story, at least for me, was kinda hard to follow. I know Mickey was having a battel with some well known villains, and he won at the end....... Who knows, maybe I was just tired after the hour plus wait in an arena with nothing to do but sit there. Well, to each his own. :wave:

AEfx

Fantasmic is like driving a Buick Lesabre.
Illuminations reflections of earth is like driving a BMW.

Illuminations ROE is like nothing I have seen anywhere else. The music is spectacular and the entire premise is right on the money.

To me, Fantasmic should have stayed at Disneyland, the place it was designed for. There the Rivers of America and the real riverboat make a great difference. At MGM, the boat is poorly executed and the characters are on pontoons. I don't particualrly like the ampitheater or walking backstage to leave after the show. It seems like an afterthought.

Just goes to show you how different people are. :)

Personally, I find Fantasmic! brilliant, and ROE about as exciting as watching the hair-gunk dry on Price Charming's head. It's not the lack of characters, but the entire lack of Disney period that makes it bland to me. That and how hard it is to find a good seat to watch (or even a good standing spot sometimes); I prefer the Fantasmic! theater because everyone has a decent view and you don't have to worry about what you are missing not being a mile away on the other side of the lagoon.

So I'll make a deal with you - you keep going to ROE, and I'll keep walking out of Epcot just as it starts. And you will stay away from Fantasmic, so you aren't talking up a space when I want to see it. :)

See how nice it is when the world works out? :ROFLOL:

AEfx

justducky78

I agree -- the first time I saw it, I was WOWED, but the second time, it just wasn't as spectacular.

Can't say I like Wishes as much as others, either - I preferred the fireworks show before...Fantasy in the Sky I think it was called?

fizzle75

I LOVE Fantasmic. I love the music. I love the visuals. Everything. It embodies the entire Disney experience, IMO. For me it is the best half-hour in WDW, hands down. I've got the theme music as the ring tone on my cell phone I love it so much. I'll never forget the first time I saw Mickey's disappear/reappear at the end of the show. It never ceases to amaze me. I also love sitting near people seeing it for the first time and seeing their reactions. I love when the cannon shot startles everyone.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Fantasmic is the ultimate Disney experience IMHO. I love everything about it, the effects, the music and especially the characters. Both Wishes and Fantasmic are hands down the highlights of our trips "home".

DDuckFan130

It's not everyone's cup of tea. However, it's a must for my family every time. On the other hand, I can live without Wishes and Illuminations if I miss it a few trips. Fantasmic has music that has always caught my attention and I love the end...gives me goosebumps. It's not about the pyro and the "cool" factor (although it is cool too), but the emotion behind it. So yeah maybe I should like Wishes too, but I still can't get into it :lol:

Edit: Another reason I love seeing the show so much is hearing the reactions of people watching it for the first time. It's just so great and makes the show worth seeing again and again :D

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Well, I guess I'll chime in..

I've disliked MGM's Fantasmic from my very first viewing. I was in the "that's it?" group.

I've seen DL's version, i think twice, since first seeing it at MGM. The DL version is better but it's still not amazing. The whole thing feels very forced and disjointed. Water screens are "bleh" and forcing all the characters in is painfully obvious. I had more fun riding the Golden Zephyr at DCA - that's saying a lot.

I think it comes down to what you like Disney World for. I don't do characters. I don't have any autographs and have to be dragged to character meals. A friend of mine thrives on hugging the ginormous plush and used to drag me to character meals - she loves Fantasmic, hates ROE.

DDuckFan130

Well, I guess I'll chime in..

I've disliked MGM's Fantasmic from my very first viewing. I was in the "that's it?" group.

I've seen DL's version, i think twice, since first seeing it at MGM. The DL version is better but it's still not amazing. The whole thing feels very forced and disjointed. Water screens are "bleh" and forcing all the characters in is painfully obvious. I had more fun riding the Golden Zephyr at DCA - that's saying a lot.

I think it comes down to what you like Disney World for. I don't do characters. I don't have any autographs and have to be dragged to character meals. A friend of mine thrives on hugging the ginormous plush and used to drag me to character meals - she loves Fantasmic, hates ROE.
There's the thing: you don't like characters. So obviously Fantasmic isn't for you I think. We just did a character breakfast and hunted down the Three Caballeros and Launchpad McQuack. :shrug:

Some people like to know the behind-the-scenes of WDW. I prefer to keep it in front of the scenes :lol:

TP2000

Via the miracle of YouTube, I found some decent amateur videos that show the differences between the Disneyland version and the WDW version.

Here's the WDW finale' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmv4DjLVDQI
And here's the Disneyland finale' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8snD96a96o&mode=related&search=

Here's the big Peter Pan Vs. Captain Hook segment that is played out midway through the show on the Sailing Ship Columbia at Disneyland http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEm3v_wvJ_8 At WDW the Pocohontas Canoe segment replaces this. This Peter Pan segment is hard to film, but the guy who did this video did a great job I think.

Watching these videos I also realized that with the stadium seating in WDW most of the audience looks down on the show, while with the riverbank seating at Disneyland much of the audience looks up or evenly with the show. I think that makes a difference in the perception of the scale and scope of the performance that's not often in WDW's favor.

drdoom1001

It's definitely a distant third for me behind Illuminations and my favorite Wishes!!Too many videos on the water screens,it becomes repetitive!!

Nicole220

No. I was really bored through the whole thing =\ I'm not much for characters though, maybe that's why.
I've heard Disneyland's is a lot better.
It is. Just look at TP2000's posts.

I think the show could use a little bit of updating. They should really ditch most, if not, all of the water screens and add something much more impressive and up to date.

DDuckFan130

Personally, I find Fantasmic! brilliant, and ROE about as exciting as watching the hair-gunk dry on Price Charming's head. It's not the lack of characters, but the entire lack of Disney period that makes it bland to me. That and how hard it is to find a good seat to watch (or even a good standing spot sometimes); I prefer the Fantasmic! theater because everyone has a decent view and you don't have to worry about what you are missing not being a mile away on the other side of the lagoon.

So I'll make a deal with you - you keep going to ROE, and I'll keep walking out of Epcot just as it starts. And you will stay away from Fantasmic, so you aren't talking up a space when I want to see it. :)

AEfx
:ROFLOL:

Very good post.

I agree that ROE is nice and all, but I think only the beginning and end hold my attention. If it weren't for this site, I wouldn't have known there was a story to it :lookaroun And Wishes? I got the "story," but still :shrug:

I guess I'm not a big fireworks fan, because you can only see enough pretty pyro before it gets old :p Again, Fantasmic is for me because of the music, characters, and the story.

As far as the wait and seats go, those are my pet peeves. But we don't get there so early anymore :lol:

jmvd20

I saw Fantasmic for the first time last week, and after hearing all these great things about it, and waiting in the arena for an hour for it to start, I expected it to be something really great. Well, I was very disappointed. First off, a lot of it was just projections on to water screens, and weak fire effects. To tell you the truth, about half way through it I turned to my wife and said "What the hell is going on?". I was just expecting a lot more. Am I the only one who feels Fantasmic is very overrated? Your thoughts :shrug:

I felt the exact same way you did when I saw it. I thought it was a waste of time when we could have seen ROE just a short distance away.

DznyRktekt

AEfx

We can high-five each other as we pass. :ROFLOL:

kathyjacks

:wave:
I saw Fantasmic for the first time last week, and after hearing all these great things about it, and waiting in the arena for an hour for it to start, I expected it to be something really great. Well, I was very disappointed. First off, a lot of it was just projections on to water screens, and weak fire effects. To tell you the truth, about half way through it I turned to my wife and said "What the hell is going on?". I was just expecting a lot more. Am I the only one who feels Fantasmic is very overrated? Your thoughts :shrug:

Everyone has different opinions. I loved fantasmic and have the whole show on video and we rewatch it at home all the time. I think its good for everyone to see once and if you dont' like it find somehting you do like............there are so many experiences at disney everyone doesn't have to love the same things but I think the majority of people really think its a good show.I myself loved the shows and parades better then the rides but some are all about the rides and skip the parades and shows. Its what ever makes you happy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom