Fantasmic missing pyro?

wdwcrazy

Original Poster
I was at the world last week and saw fantasmic for the first time in a few years. Everything looked the same except I noticed that the spinning pyro things on Steamboat Willie were missing. I didn't even see the hardware in place where they were shot off from. Any word on why they got rid of it?

echoscot

Those are called "gerbs" and I believe they were removed because of the proximity to the character performers and the number of wigs and costumes that could potentially become flammable which would make for quite the exciting finale....

boo52

Those are actually called Saxons. I believe there may have been a quality issue with a certain batch. I'm sure they will return when the issue is resolved.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Yeah they have been missing for a few months now. I hope they return soon, it really adds to the finale!

You are correct. They are saxons, and there was a quality issue. They are gone and won't come back, but will soon be replaced with a different product.

echoscot

That's what I get for listening to Character rumors instead of paying attention to the techs at the show....glad it wasn't as serious as the drama made it out to be...

wdwcrazy

Original Poster
I hope that they do come up with something to do with the boat as it comes around the turn. Without those fireworks it really feels like something is missing. Hopefully whatever they come up with to replace them will fit in well.

WDWRocks08

I have only seen Fantasmic in its entirety once (twice it closed due to mechanical problems and once to weather) so i am not an expert but based on my expirience's i think it is an AMAZING but tempramental show...:)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Does anyone else think `Willy would be better with no effects at all as it rounds the bend? It would be good to concentrate on the mountain, possibly not realising the boat was there until Mickeys pyro & the lights come up?

Captain Hank

Does anyone else think `Willy would be better with no effects at all as it rounds the bend? It would be good to concentrate on the mountain, possibly not realising the boat was there until Mickeys pyro & the lights come up?
IIRC, though, there isn't much happening on the mountain at that point. After Tink on the water screen zaps the mountain, the lights on the mountain w/ associated strobes come on. Then, there's about 20-30 seconds of down time between Tink and the Mickey pyro, that's partially filled by the spinny things on the boat (Saxons).

I actually like the Saxons on the boat--it's cool to see this seemingly empty boat appear out of nowhere, and "magically" continue to pilot itself part-way around a corner until its captain appears a bit later. The Saxons draw attention to the boat, and really set up the Mickey appearance effect to make it more dramatic.

Craig & Lisa

One question, were you at the first show or the second? On certain days when they have two shows they don't have the time to set the pyro's. So some of them aren't in it. That was the case a couple of years ago when we went to the second show and my wife and I noticed it lacking.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
IIRC, though, there isn't much happening on the mountain at that point..
That`s what I like... suspense... what`s going to happen next....and what is that shape in the water over there. Of course the mountain could use some additional eye candy at the same time. Just an observation :)

BTW.. are the pyro comets back again? Saw the show twice in October and they were conspicuous by their absence in the Sorceres Apprentice scene. And the lasers - I hope they`re working again?

wdwcrazy

Original Poster
One question, were you at the first show or the second?

There was only one show that night, the 7pm one. The hardware to have the pyro in place on the boat wasn't even there so it wasn't just a case of it missing or not firing.

Something definately needs to draw your attention to the boat as it rounds the corner. There is too much time where you're looking at the strobes on the mountain waiting for something to happen.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Saw Fantasmic back on Feb 3rd, on it's second day after the quick rehab. The only pyro missing from that show was on the Steamboat Willie. By the sounds of things, it must be back. I personally liked the SW without the pyro. Like Marni said, it adds a little suspense. The rest of the show looked better than it had in years. Lots of missing pieces from the last few years were all there. The fountains during the princess scene looked especially good. All in all, I love the show.

One comment about Steamboat Willie vs. Mark Twain. I think the characters get MUCH more visibility on SW as opposed to the Mark Twain in the finale. The decking and railings on the MT seem to obscure the performers, so I for one like SW BETTER.

Just one more thing....I'm back at the world (as of the 13th) for another 12 days and will be checking out Fantasmic on Monday. Crowds were getting a bit thick today. Muppet Vision had a full house during the performance I saw, and the line filled the whole queue down the side of the building. Great to see that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom