Fantasmic! Dragon missing? 2/1/2020

iMax

I'm surprised people actually like the WDW dragon, to me Disneyland's is far better. Also has Snow White returned yet, I think it's been a whole year since her barge has been in Fantasmic.

peoplemover

Count me in the camp that prefers the version at Hollywood Studios. I was very underwhelmed with Disneyland's version and didn't care for the Pirates of the Caribbean sequence in the show either. The DHS show is one of my favorite Disney shows.

MadTeacup

The Disneyland dragon is nice-looking, but all it does is wag its head around and breathe fire...sometimes. Major fail by Garner Holt.
They probably did what they could with the budget they were given. Any irregularity with the pyro shots likely has more to do with environmental conditions than poor design. Also, do we know that Garner Holt built it? I'm asking because I honestly don't know.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I posted this on the thread regarding the one day closure of Fantasmic just recently. Thought I'd copy my thoughts here.

Technically, the DL show is head and shoulders above the DHS version. That said, Fantastic 2.0 at DL, has had the heart ripped out of it. The original version was one complete story, supported by an incredible score that was purposely written as one continuous piece of music. The current version has a "cut and paste" feel, and the entire "flow" of the show has been compromised. Although it's beautiful, I really don't like the DL show anymore. Thankfully, the DHS version has not been chopped up. Upgrade the effects to include the razzle dazzle of F! 2.0, keep the original score, and now, in my opinion, the DHS version comes out ahead of DL's. And yep, I know the Steamboat Willie is small, the dragon's head is on a stick, and there's that Pocahontas segment, but, I find Mickey appearing at the top of a mountain far more impressive than popping out of the top of a mill structure. Maleficent's demise is also a bit more dramatic at DHS (a few seconds longer and that huge curtain of water). I also find sitting on a bench far more comfortable than peaking between the heads of tall people, or sitting uncomfortably on cement.
(Regarding the recent closure) My hope is/was, that new projection mapping had been installed and tonights closure was a test....I can dream, can't I?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom