Fantasmic! Dragon missing? 2/1/2020

tcool123

Original Poster
Just finished watching Fantasmic, and noticed a key player of the whole show missing. The dragon! Any clue as to why it went missing? Hopefully the budget isnt so dire they’d start cutting key components of the show 🙄

Some video for those curious:

gerarar

Premium Member
It was just probably technical difficulties with the hydraulics. This is the B-mode anyways when the dragon doesn’t come out.

Also, the dragon was working the other day (source: various videos online) even after the show’s little one day “refurbishment/maintenance” last week.

It wouldn’t also make sense to cut the dragon for budget reasons. There are other elements of the show that would be cut first before anything dire like this; performers, pyro/fireworks, etc.

N2dru

OK, I will say it..Disney please refurb Fantasmic at DHS. Please let's get rid of the dragon on a stick and receive a full dragon animatronic like California. DL's show is so much more interesting/executed compared to our version. And yes I understand the show was originally envisioned for DL but WDW built a theater and pond specifically for this show. There's no reason our version shouldn't be on par if not better. Some of you reading this has to agree.

Last edited:

disney4life2008

OK, I will say it..Disney please refurb Fantasmic at DHS. Please let's get rid of the dragon on a stick and receive a full dragon animatronic like California. DL's show is so much more interesting/executed compared to our version. And yes I understand the show was originally envisioned for DL but WDW built a theater and pond specially for this show. We didn't take an existing location and alter it to accommodate the show like in DL. There's no reason our version shouldn't be on par if not better. Some of you reading this has to agree, right?!

Fantasmic is the one show that has been untouched. But be careful what you wish for. When Disney closes entertainment it likely never returns or comes back with major horrible changes. Just leave it alone.

Animaniac93-98

OK, I will say it..Disney please refurb Fantasmic at DHS. Please let's get rid of the dragon on a stick and receive a full dragon animatronic like California. DL's show is so much more interesting/executed compared to our version. And yes I understand the show was originally envisioned for DL but WDW built a theater and pond specifically for this show. There's no reason our version shouldn't be on par if not better. Some of you reading this has to agree, right?!

I saw the new and "improved" Fantasmic at Disneyland in 2018. Other than the dragon and the novelty of being on the Rivers of America, it's the lesser version compared to WDW.

Around 2015 or so it was better, but not after the most recent round of content/music changes.

N2dru

I saw the new and "improved" Fantasmic at Disneyland in 2018. Other than the dragon and the novelty of being on the Rivers of America, it's the lesser version compared to WDW.

Around 2015 or so it was better, but not after the most recent round of content/music changes.
Exactly my point...WDW's version has lacked versus DL's since its introduction barring some of the more recent changes. The show just flow better at DL. Plus there is no reason we can't have that same/updated dragon. IJS

Last edited:

gerarar

Premium Member
OK, I will say it..Disney please refurb Fantasmic at DHS. Please let's get rid of the dragon on a stick and receive a full dragon animatronic like California. DL's show is so much more interesting/executed compared to our version. And yes I understand the show was originally envisioned for DL but WDW built a theater and pond specifically for this show. There's no reason our version shouldn't be on par if not better. Some of you reading this has to agree.
I totally agree with what you say, but I just don’t see the current people in leadership able to invest such budget to basically do the new dragon. They would either have to...

A) completely rebuild the mountain to fit the new full-scale dragon to come out of it, basically a bigger door then it currently has so the dragon could roll out. Or
B) redo the show’s floor to mimic how DL’s dragon comes out by rising out of a lift.
Both options would require significant amounts of money I imagine.

If they were to ever invest in a refurbishment, they would most likely just improve on the script/story, update the technology, etc. Also maybe just improve on the current dragon to make it less of a puppet on a stick.

Lilofan

Fantasmic is the one show that has been untouched. But be careful what you wish for. When Disney closes entertainment it likely never returns or comes back with major horrible changes. Just leave it alone.
Could be an idea to make the show go away like the parades. People will complain for a while then move on. F! Area is so underutilized. Nothing during the day and show is cancelled at night if it rains. What a waste of valuable property. Build an attraction, dining, merchandise shops instead.

JustInTime

Their show may have better props but the plot for WDW’s version is better. It’s more clear. 🤷🏼‍♂️

disney4life2008

Could be an idea to make the show go away like the parades. People will complain for a while then move on. F! Area is so underutilized. Nothing during the day and show is cancelled at night if it rains. What a waste of valuable property. Build an attraction, dining, merchandise shops instead.

Do you hear what you are saying? Fantasmic is the only reason to go to Hollywood studios and see true Disney. Star wars fireworks is trash! And unfortunately, it's the only remaining nighttime event where you can see a lot of characters in person. I'm not sure about the new show at animal kingdom though?

But you are correct. It is very valuable property. But I would suggest they get rid of the beauty and the beast theater, they could put something better there.

yensidtlaw1969

I saw the latest Disneyland version a few months ago. Still prefer Orlando’s dragon. It’s more menacing. Just without fire.
I'm not sure I totally agree - it probably depends on which way the wind is blowing - but I see what you mean. For as "good" as Murphy, DL's dragon looks, she doesn't really do much. She shows up (not insignificant, given the engineering it took) I breathes fire (also not insignificant), but otherwise just sort of wiggles around a bit from the neck. WDW's Dragon, and the DL Original are much more interpretive, but also waaay more dynamic. They take/took up a ton of space with their diaphanous wings, and their range of motion suggests a creature on the offense. Not to mention that they also breath fire and make dramatic entrances, if less technically challenging ones.

Murphy just kind of sits there waiting to be defeated. And I still think having her arms mounted on castle turrets was a weird choice - it's a throwback to the movie, but it makes her feel locked down on a platform (which, you know, she is). Even having her claws just down "on the ground" would have made a little more sense, and might have given the impression that she could go anywhere. She's also so brightly lit that some of the menace is dissipated. I understand wanting to show off your expensive animatronic, but there's a lot to be said for creating atmosphere, and DL's Bucky and WDW's Vivian offer(ed) that.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Not to mention that they also breath fire...
I can’t remember the last time I saw Vivian breath fire. Every time I’ve shown it to family and friends we usually get a plop of a blob of fire. Seeing Snap last fall with a full flame jet was a refreshing change. You know. Like the commercial says it should be.

Then of course Anaheim’s watery flames ignite all wrongly compared to Orlando.

yensidtlaw1969

I can’t remember the last time I saw Vivian breath fire. Every time I’ve shown it to family and friends we usually get a plop of a blob of fire. Seeing Snap last fall with a full flame jet was a refreshing change. You know. Like the commercial says it should be.

Then of course Anaheim’s watery flames ignite all wrongly compared to Orlando.
I suppose it's been a few years since I've caught Fantasmic! at WDW . . . after catching DL's "new" version with the upgraded tech a few years ago my interest in WDW's production just plummeted. Though I have my quibbles about it, it still makes the WDW version look like a backyard play in comparison.

What exactly is wrong with the way the flames ignite at Disneyland? I can't recall noticing.

Disneyfanman

Is it OK that I like them both? Fantastmic is a show that I never tire of on either coast. I only get to one or the other every other year and I continue to love both versions. As far as I’m concerned, updates should be minor content and tech only. I was at DL two years ago and WDW last October. Both shows were packed with happy fans. I know the show is expensive, high maintenance, and heavy on labor. It’s everything in a show that Disney hates! For me it’s pure Disney. Long live Fantasmic from a fan of the show for 30 years!

MadTeacup

Disneyland's new Fantasmic is trash. I think WDW's better highlights the use of live performers. The projection mapping is cool, but all it does is add a little to a show that already used projection technology. The new music is missing the soul of the original soundtrack and Mickey just needs to quiet down. The dragon is cool (when it spits fire) but I agree that Vivian at WDW is much more menacing and I prefer that her wings are controlled by live performers. The pirate sequence is a mess and screws up the pacing of the show. I love the flying carpet sequence, but it transitions quite awkwardly into the princess barges and was added at the cost of removing the really cool Queen to Hag transformation sequence. I love the articulated fountains and that's something WDW should have upgraded to by now. It's also something they're actively looking into, in addition to a new lighting system to replace the outdated fixtures that are increasingly difficult to find replacement lamps for. Phil just needs to allow the stage some downtime. Disneyland can keep their "enhancements" if WDW can keep what makes their show great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom