1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Fantasmic! 2.0 Rumors, Speculation, Announcments

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort' started by Nland316, Feb 21, 2017.

1. mickeyfan5534

mickeyfan5534 Well-Known Member

I hope so. There's a lot more poignancy to Ariel as a mermaid.

2. nevol

nevol Well-Known Member

I liked the "fireflies" projection mapping before the opening. Sufficiently weird and fitting of the location, but could do without the big splashes when things really get going. The few fireflies/embers were enough. Or even after mickey's reveal would be good, to supplement the sharpies spinning around. I like the new intro but the busy-ness makes it feel shorter which is a minus (but that same business-leading-to-shortness issue was helpful for me during the mark twain scene). Even with the marching broomsticks, it feels less Fantasia than it did before; it lacks simplicity and the colorful stars and 3d animations and saturation kind of give it a disney channel vibe rather than a pure Fantasia vibe. I for one always thought it would be incredible to see a white spotlight silhouette of the conductor and the orchestra sitting down getting ready to play achieved with a projection on the tavern as the show is about to begin; either in "welcome to fantasmic" or when it goes dark. Add some audio of light chatter and chairs shuffling and then when they sit down, the projection silhouette fades and the show begins to insinuate that it is a LIVE performance and also because its reminiscent of Fantasia.

The kaa reveal was far less climatic, same with the lotus flower. Just completely falls flat with that score.

the percussion is so weak on the jungle/lion king scenes. They aren't as bad as I was anticipating, but when the original track was so strong, why change it?

Thanking the high heavens that the elephants stayed and that the track is still there and sufficiently weird, but again, over-produced, wavy, sucked the percussion right out of it and tried to put a bass synth in there. When everything is EDM it isn't transformative. Nonetheless, relieved that the elephants and the melody stayed. Plus, there's just a general lack of continuity with the music. The horns sound off, and that fanfare horn blasting that used to be in several scenes, from the original score to the elephants, is not as clearly connected. They've made the whole thing more studio-produced and then plopped in overly-live vocals in the princess scene to reel it back in almost toward a live pageant, but all the audio changes long-story-short seemed incredibly unnecessary. The visuals I am really impressed with but wherever the music was messed with it was pretty much unsuccessful.

Ariel and Nemo were not necessary but glad that pinocchio made an appearance and we still have the dramatic drowning/whale/jimminy cricket scene.

The dragon slaying scene is incredible. Looks like the photoshop composite image they'd been using for marketing for 25 years. I love that on his old pyro cue he just sort of summons magic from / on the water and since the show is new nobody was expecting the pyro to come next. It looked really good.

The finale was cleaner. The fireworks behind mickey and that shoot up around from the water are less smokey and more dazzly, with warm white and sparkling reds mixed together. Reminds me of some of the new shells in happily ever after. The stage area stays visible as the fireworks don't smoke until they've popped up above it. I agree with the other comment about how the stage used to shrink back in on itself and disappear and how cool that was, creating continuity with the beginning of the show. Very much like the magic box in mystic manor. That is no longer the case but i'll take the unsaturated/white sparklers over the green nukes any day. They are reminiscent of old fantasmic to me; desaturated. Now, as you mentioned there are hardly any moments of darkness or of strictly white light/sparklers/white pyro. Everything is colorful. I frankly don't mind it during the mark twain scene. I think they could maybe delay those colored spotlights by 20 seconds/until the mark twain itself has theatrical lighting on it, but otherwise it works because that scene always dragged on for me. I loved the reveal of the riverboat in the past but i'm not a character fanatic so after that I'd lose interest, eagerly awaiting the finale which is about 1 minute. now the spectacle feels longer and less like "blink and you'll miss it." One thing I noticed were the lighting towers do this spiraling whip on stage with white light during the finale that has no diegetic justification, but it was clearly done "for the 'gram." So when people zoom in on mickey and get a cropped shot, there will guaranteed be a lot of kinetic energy captured in that shot that captures the moment better than any one still frame would have in the past. Kind of like live compositing. Elsewhere in the show, like in the beginning, the opposite was true.. where the stage lights become part of mickey's powers now. So in the finale they just sort of do their thing, but in the intro, whereas before they were just spotlights on stage and we never questioned them, now mickey's choreography summons them. he waves each tower over to him and the lights shine on him before he brings each fountain stage left and right to life with the wave of his hand. Really clever.

Overall, they kept things pretty well in tact. The audio mix is odd to say the least, and some of the old 2d animations that they've made 3d were better when they were 2d, like the transition into the lotus flower, while in other places the mixing of 2d with laser and 3d and multiple layers of projections is strong. The new vocalist has a deeper voice and it feels like they slowed down the princess sequence. I felt that whole section from Aladdin to See The Light would have worked a lot better if they'd stuck to the original scores, the only benefit of their medley vocalists over-singing everything and the songs keys and tempos being screwed up is that it makes the show feel more "live" like some cheap 80's cheerleader competition or a concert at a county fair.

Watched it a few times last night and this morning and excited to see it in person. The show needed a technical upgrade to look as big as it felt. Firework shows always feel and look better in real life than in photographs or videos; fantasmic kind of was the opposite. The marketing material and cropped and composite shots were more iconic looking than the actual experience. Some of us cherish the show and it is more emotive with us who grew up on it than it is with new audiences. The projections on mist outside the scope of the older water projections etc will definitely help make the show more all encompassing and immersive for new audiences. The other changes, as mentioned, range from poor to neutral to improvement. Nonetheless really fun to see how teams reinterpret things and "improve" them and how different people interpret things in show design. Objectively speaking, however we will be stuck with this show for 25 years so it isn't as casual and inconsequential as that.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  3. The_Bellringer

The_Bellringer Active Member

Do you guys think this show will still be playing in October? My fam wants to go then and I realllllyyy wanna see it.

4. nevol

nevol Well-Known Member

Definitely but maybe only weekends? Unless they run fantasmic 7 days a week and Remember... weekends-only.

5. The_Bellringer

The_Bellringer Active Member

Ok thanks. Well I'll definitely plan for it!

6. disneyadventurer

disneyadventurer New Member

This was one of my absolute favorite new elements that is really hard to see on the videos. We were able to watch the 9 and the 10:30 last night. This element is actually NOT projection mapping. Its some sort of advanced laser system. Its mounted on top of the building with the gumbo/chowder window, above the Club 33 balcony.

It is the same kind of tech seen in the Mystic Manor ride from Hong Kong. It looks very different from the regular projections in that it just POPS and literally looks like pixie dust or some sort of magic fireflies. It is used very effectively throughout the show and when combined with the projections leads to some pretty amazing effects.

nevol likes this.
  7. nevol

nevol Well-Known Member

This is by far the best video of the new show I've found, and it was one of the first to upload. maybe the first or second... 4k, and good camera work. So many people zoom in on mickey too much and miss the pyro etc, which has its time and place but my goodness. Or people talk through the whole thing. But this one is solid!

8. nevol

nevol Well-Known Member

They're really cool. It is truly magical/eluding to metaphysical energy transfers. Looking at the show again, I found another cool use of them in that sequence! During "welcome to fantasmic" as the narrator says "overwhelming NIGHTMARE" one of the lights on the building "burns out." It goes way bright and then back to a normal level and that is where the first "firefly" escapes from. So the nightmare itself is what is escaping and invading the dream, right off the bat. Really amazing. As more of those lights appear, the lights on the island grow dimmer and dimmer.

And when mickey comes out he spins around in disbelief and goes "woahhh" like he's realizing his powers for the first time. Trippy.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    brb1006 and disneyadventurer like this.
  9. Dr. Hans Reinhardt

Dr. Hans Reinhardt Well-Known Member

Anyone know why the are using the articulated heads for Mickey in the show?

10. SuddenStorm

SuddenStorm Well-Known Member

I'd bet money this new version doesn't last 25 years- for many reasons already stated by myself and others. If the technology behind this new one wasn't so damn good, we would be up in arms for the original. I'll reserve final judgement when I see it live, but the soundtrack didn't get any form of emotional response from me, like the original was able to do.

180º likes this.
  11. cheezbat

cheezbat Well-Known Member

I'm waiting to see it now...I've strayed away from watching any YouTube videos yet...I'm excited!

12. Magenta Panther

Magenta Panther Well-Known Member

I just saw a video of the new show, and WOW!!!!! Loved it! Breathtakingly magical! I think the new Pirates scene is great - very effective! And the new show open with the magical sparks...amazing!!!! So much color and pyro and water effects. This is a huge PLUS! Great job, TDO! I can't wait to see this in person!

brb1006 and thealmightyvance like this.
  13. thealmightyvance

thealmightyvance Well-Known Member

wat u mean

brb1006 and Dr. Hans Reinhardt like this.
  14. Kira Nerys

Kira Nerys Well-Known Member

Yeah, the guy who recorded that used to make incredible live binaural ASMR recordings of Disneyland. I still have them.

brb1006, 180º and SuddenStorm like this.
  15. stitchcastle

stitchcastle Well-Known Member

I'm gonna go ahead and say that I don't like how they made the whole first half basically World of Color, it loses a lot of the charm and elegance of the more dimly lit older version. There is also too much projection mapping, not every segment has to include screensavers on Tom Sawyer island. It distracts from the performers and fountain projections way too much. Plus, showing Mickey so early takes away the anticipation and reveal that's already built into the score. I'm also so over watching/hearing "Friend Like Me" in every nighttime show, that it's shoe-horned into Fantasmic is overkill. The new Princess Medley is also overlong. The Aladdin part is kind of unnecessary and they wait too long to start the Tangled segment (even though i think its a great fit overall). I would've nixed the Genie section and put Moana in its place. That or take away the carpet ride and add "Let it Go" after the Princesses and before the villains.

Now for the positives, the new fountains are amazing as is the state of the art new projection system. Pirates replacing Peter Pan is long overdue and the dramatic lighting on the Columbia/Black Pearl was pretty great. The entire villains and finale sections were perfectly plussed thanks to the updated effects. Even though I'd much prefer to have Mickey in his Brave Little Taylor outfit and to not reveal live Sorcerer Mickey until the very end.

The new soundtrack feels polished and definitely epic but the slower parts are very lacking. I'll echo the sentiment earlier that the new recordings don't have the same emotional punch that the original had, particularly the Princess Medley. Part of me feels like it's because they crammed more stuff into the show that the soundtrack itself is sped up a little bit. Actually that's my main gripe with this version of Fantasmic! there's too much going on that it's like an ADD-addled version of the show.

SuddenStorm likes this.
  16. DisneyIrishGuy

DisneyIrishGuy Well-Known Member

I've watched the videos a couple times now. I will say overall I like the new version.

I especially like the opening a lot more than the original. I never understood why Mickey was waving his hands back and forth over his head like he was at a rave.

17. Dr. Hans Reinhardt

Dr. Hans Reinhardt Well-Known Member

I meant why aren't they using the articulated heads in the show.

18. mikenatcity1

mikenatcity1 Well-Known Member

Can anyone offer some info- looking at the dining schedule it looks like Fantasmic may go weekends only in mid-September...I know it used to do this, but I didn't think it would this soon after the re-launch. I'm going Sept 20-22 and was hoping to catch it on Sept 21!

19. bluehoodiemike

bluehoodiemike Member

I'd hazard a guess and say it's due to the amount of swap outs that have to do for Mickey in the show. There's at least three different Mickey's in the show, tux, steamboat and sorcerer, if they were articulated and one of them failed, it'd stand out like a sore thumb. (not to mention safety of the performer if they can't see when it goes dark) So I'd say just for ease they went the traditional route. Besides I don't think the articulated head would add that much if I'm being honest.

20. thealmightyvance

thealmightyvance Well-Known Member

One of the crew members for fantasmic over at MiceCraZyChat mentioned that its heavy and can easily get damaged. I was sad to hear they weren't using it. I wish all characters in all shows got them, maybe some day?