Family feud at WDW

JungleJim

Account Suspended
Original Poster
We all have had great times at WDW but has anyone had a family argument at Disney? Tears? Screaming? Less than a magical gathering?:mad:

DDuckFan130

Hm, well a couple of years back my family wanted to stay an extra day but the obstacle laying between them and the extra day was moi. I had to come back as scheduled because I couldn't (or didn't) want to miss school. They finally gave up but the tears came from me because I felt bad that I was such a nerd and wouldn't give up school for WDW :lol:

SpongeScott

Yep. Had a surly almost 14 year old last time we went and he was unhappy with everything. At the end of the second day, I told him he was acting like a piece of ________. He apologized about an hour later and the rest of the trip was great. I think he was shocked I said that to him. Sometimes ya gotta call em like you see em.

charliez

Melt downs...

... they happen. Even with older kids, but especially little kids (and sometimes adults, who still want to be a little kid at WDW).

Five ways to address them:

1) Schedule some down time each day - easier if you're staying on property - when you can go back to the room, maybe hit the pool, veg in the room, etc.

2) Talk about meltdowns in advance - particularly with the older kids. Not that they won't have them then, but better for all to be prepared that they will happen, and know that you won't put up with a prolonged or ongoing battle. Good way to lay groundwork for the daily downtime as well.

3) Give everyone their time alone. Hey, I want to ride the rides. I was a little put out once when no one wanted to stay in MGM after an especially hot parade, so it worked out that I just stayed in the park and everyone else went cool off. So did I, in a fashion. Not as much fun as being together, but I got it out of my system (and then was really appreciative of my wife doing solo mom duty during that time, and showed it through my shopping prowess).

4) Make sure everyone gets to "lead" sometimes in picking rides, etc. - even the littlest kids.

5) When visiting WDW in large (particularly multi-family) groups, realize that you don't have to do everything TOGETHER ALL THE TIME. Split up, and set a time/place to meet later for a meal or something. Then you all have something to talk about!

6) Decide upfront with the kids if your primary aim is to ride as many rides as possible or get autographs. (Obviously there's a mix, but you can't shoot for both extremes without someone being unhappy with the balance or lack thereof.) You may not reach consensus everyday, but at least you will all know the plan.

tigsmom

I have 2 kids...there is always a fight about something. It usually starts over something small. Its never ruined an entire day though & they usually end up closer for the rest of the time.

barnum42

Originally posted by DDuckFan130
Hm, well a couple of years back my family wanted to stay an extra day but the obstacle laying between them and the extra day was moi. I had to come back as scheduled because I couldn't (or didn't) want to miss school. They finally gave up but the tears came from me because I felt bad that I was such a nerd and wouldn't give up school for WDW :lol:
First you like the wand and now you fess us to prefering school over Disney World :confused:

NOT ONE OF US

:lol: Jus' Kiddin'

mellie882

My family had a magical gathering last December. There were 12 of us, trekking through Epcot in the rain. Let's just say that it wasn't such a "magical" gathering. I usually enjoy eating at Epcot, but with 12 people, it becomes a nightmare! I don't know what Disney was thinking with this whole magical gatherings thing. It's family suicide!

all4mykids

I just got back a week ago today, 11 of us went. There were a few disagreements, my mother pretty much instigated all of them. She had it set in her head what she wanted to do and didn't put much thought into what anyone else wanted. We ended up doing a couple of days in the parks without her. All in all we still had a great time.

aimster

Back in 2001, my parents were down here on vacation and paying me a few visits, so we all decided to go to Epcot one day.

Things were fine for awhile, but then we decided to stop and have lunch in England. We just got fish & chips from the Rose & Crown counter service window next door to the pub (LOVE their fish & chips). Well, my accident prone dad knocked his drink over and it spilled on their camera. My mom started yelling at him, but we managed to get our lunch eaten. Later while we were walking my mom started yelling at my dad about the camera again, then I started yelling at my mom to get over it and try to enjoy the rest of the day. We got into it and I got fed up and walked off (keep in mind that we're all adults here).

It started raining, so I took refuge in the church in Norway. As the rain was letting up, my cell phone rang... it was my parents (they went out to the car to get their cell phone). My mom felt bad for yelling and wanted to make peace. They wondered where I took off to and asked me to meet them by Spaceship Earth. SO I went over there and my mom apologized. We went back into the park and managed to enjoy the rest of our time at Epcot.

What happened with the camera? Well, it was ruined so they had to buy a new one.

StevenT

Haunted Mansion stopped in the graveyard scene for a minute or so, and my mother in the doom buggy behind me decides to take flash photos. After the ride my brother and I yelled at her, listing of a stream of reasons why taking a flash photo in the Haunted Mansion is not good. Instead of admitting her mistake she was angry at us for the rest of the day. She claimed "You ruined my day" but it was her own doing, and her pouting didn't ruin our day.

DDuckFan130

Originally posted by barnum42
First you like the wand and now you fess us to prefering school over Disney World :confused:

NOT ONE OF US

:lol: Jus' Kiddin'

:eek:

:hammer: Well, I'm pretty sure I had to come back and it wasn't just the nerd in me :rolleyes: I think one of my professors did not allow any absences and that's what had me saying no. Oh well :lol:

When we'd take my cousin to WDW, she'd always ruin something because she is an absolute spoiled brat (and she's my age for cryin' out loud). Everything had to go her way, or she'd sulk and be mad the rest of the trip. Last time we took her my parents finally told her off and luckily we haven't had to take her since then. ::knock on wood::

wannabeBelle

Massive family argument....My mother went with myself, a friend of mine, my sister and brother in law. After days of hearing how I Am not letting my sister have a vacation with "Her mother" and running my schedule around my sister, I exploded. My mom was worried that if we went on a certain ride at a certain time we would be late meeting my sister & Brother in law by a few minutes. I told her since they had chosen to not stay with us in the parks but wanted to go back to the hotel and to dye her roots, that if she had to wait 5-10 minutes it wasnt a big deal. My mother got this look on her face and I told her to go F%$# herself and stormed off. Mom was trying too hard to please both of us and since we are very different that just wasnt going to work. She ended up being stressed, my poor brother in law had to play referee, and basically it wasnt my usual happy time in Disney. Moral of the story: No more trips with my sister!!!!! Belle

dmagickingdom

Re: Melt downs...

Originally posted by charliez
... they happen. Even with older kids, but especially little kids (and sometimes adults, who still want to be a little kid at WDW).

Five ways to address them:

1) Schedule some down time each day - easier if you're staying on property - when you can go back to the room, maybe hit the pool, veg in the room, etc.

2) Talk about meltdowns in advance - particularly with the older kids. Not that they won't have them then, but better for all to be prepared that they will happen, and know that you won't put up with a prolonged or ongoing battle. Good way to lay groundwork for the daily downtime as well.

3) Give everyone their time alone. Hey, I want to ride the rides. I was a little put out once when no one wanted to stay in MGM after an especially hot parade, so it worked out that I just stayed in the park and everyone else went cool off. So did I, in a fashion. Not as much fun as being together, but I got it out of my system (and then was really appreciative of my wife doing solo mom duty during that time, and showed it through my shopping prowess).

4) Make sure everyone gets to "lead" sometimes in picking rides, etc. - even the littlest kids.

5) When visiting WDW in large (particularly multi-family) groups, realize that you don't have to do everything TOGETHER ALL THE TIME. Split up, and set a time/place to meet later for a meal or something. Then you all have something to talk about!

6) Decide upfront with the kids if your primary aim is to ride as many rides as possible or get autographs. (Obviously there's a mix, but you can't shoot for both extremes without someone being unhappy with the balance or lack thereof.) You may not reach consensus everyday, but at least you will all know the plan.

Very good...it's almost as if it came from Birnbaums official guide to the Walt Disney World Resort!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom