Family claims white rabbit refused to touch kids (Disneyland)

Californian Elitist

Of course a person should speak up if they feel wronged.
Again, just because I or anyone else claims to have been mistreated in some way, doesn't mean that any mistreatment actually happened. In the case of the Black family that we are all talking about, the description of the incident and the photos we saw lead me to believe that nothing wrong really happened.

Ok.

The Empress Lilly

Sorry, but I find it both ironic AND hilarious that their last name is Black. So when you first read it it says "the Blacks" and I'm like whoa, racist reporting? Then I re-read it and was like oh, ok........

Being that it's in SoCal, I find it hard to believe that this character has managed to segregate, seeing as how there's a HUGE diversification in that area.
Both things struck me too.

If you are a 'friend' of a character in a Disney park on either coast, after one week you have interacted with fifty thousand kids of twenty thousand different heritages. The idea that this Rabbit's friend refuses to interact with Blacks (people, not this family) seems most unlikely.

Disney will probably be too timid, but if I had a say in it TWDC would countersue these people for slander of their employee. Save the cries of racism for actual issues, instead of getting an $14 an hour employee in trouble.

Publicity be damned - I, and I guess many others, have learned that it is the guests who abuse Disney and its employees, not the other way round. I'd rather Disney fought back rather than bend over backwards, or - God forbid - settle out of court for fear of publicity.

The Empress Lilly

So, what is going to happen when, in court, the CM who is in the White Rabbit costume, takes off their headpiece and it is revealed that it a black man or woman? That is NOT a joke......it COULD happen. Then does the family suddenly change their tune? What does it become then?
That would be awesome!

Still, people can be racist towards people of similar heritage. It wouldn't change a thing.

Cosmic Commando

I'm still not sure. What makes me even remotely believe their claim is that Disney so quickly tried to buy them off.
I guess a big part of me can't comprehend the stupidity of a CM who would do something like that so brazenly.
You have to think about the CM that offered them the compensation; that CM at guest relations probably had nothing to go off of except what the family was telling them at the time. I don't think they could track down the guy/girl who was the White Rabbit at 11:14 AM that day and take a statement from them all while the family is standing there. CM's are authorized to offer a certain amount of compensation for complaints. I think that's the whole story there.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Before you go and say something ignorant like this again, you should know many people, mainly minorities are targeted, have experienced racism and have been pre-judged before. Treatment like this is unfair and if people want to speak up about it, let them. I'm black and I remember one day going to the mall with my two friends, one was black, the other white. My white friend stole something from every single store we went to. Shirts, pants, jewelry, you name it. In the last shop we went to, she had stolen a cell phone accessory. As we were walking out, with bags mind you, an employee stopped me and my black friend and asked us to open our bags and show her our receipts, while she let our other friend, the one who was actually stealing, walk out the door. I was in middle school, and I was scared to say something. Now, I wish I would have said something and I still regret it to this day. Crap like this happens everyday.

I don't know what happened to the family, as I wasn't there. If they feel they were mistreated in any way, they shouldn't be scared to say something.
As someone close to this situation in a couple of ways, do you think that this family has a legitimate complaint or do you think they are out to make a name for themselves(or some cash).

Californian Elitist

As someone close to this situation in a couple of ways, do you think that this family has a legitimate complaint or do you think they are out to make a name for themselves(or some cash).

A legit complaint, yes. Disneyland is a luxury and very expensive, an if my kid wants a flippin' hug from the White Rabbit, he/she is going to get one, because of the money paid. I would have complained, and I don't blame the parents for complaining. The suing is far-fetched, IMO. I wouldn't have wanted money, just a sincere apology. Maybe a free souvenir, too, to make the kid happy.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
A legit complaint, yes. Disneyland is a luxury and very expensive, an if my kid wants a flippin' hug from the White Rabbit, he/she is going to get one, because of the money paid. I would have complained, and I don't blame the parents for complaining. The suing is far-fetched, IMO. I wouldn't have wanted money, just a sincere apology. Maybe a free souvenir, too, to make the kid happy.
Understood, but do you think playing the race card is appropriate, especially knowing what the friends of the characters go through daily?

Acolli18

I put my arm around Pluto when I was 16 and he playful pushed me off, showing me to cross my arms instead...Dang, I missed my $$ call

Californian Elitist

Understood, but do you think playing the race card is appropriate, especially knowing what the friends of the characters go through daily?

That I don't know. It depends on the family's experience with the park. If this was the family's first visit, I could understand why they may have felt that way. I don't know if the article states if it was their first visit.

lazyboy97o

Rightly or wrongly, axis eh fans tend to assume Disney is innocent when accused of wrong doing. At this point there seems to be far too little information available to accurately conclude if any unusual actions occurred and what motivated said actions.

openendedsky

Worst analogy ever.
I came in to say this. Because getting rejected from a date and going to Disney to meet a character whose job it is to interact with kids are the same thing :rolleyes:

That being said, @Aulani_Princess brought up a good point and maybe, the person didn't see the kid properly.

Before you go and say something ignorant like this again, you should know many people, mainly minorities are targeted, have experienced racism and have been pre-judged before. Treatment like this is unfair and if people want to speak up about it, let them. I'm black and I remember one day going to the mall with my two friends, one was black, the other white. My white friend stole something from every single store we went to. Shirts, pants, jewelry, you name it. In the last shop we went to, she had stolen a cell phone accessory. As we were walking out, with bags mind you, an employee stopped me and my black friend and asked us to open our bags and show her our receipts, while she let our other friend, the one who was actually stealing, walk out the door. I was in middle school, and I was scared to say something. Now, I wish I would have said something and I still regret it to this day. Crap like this happens everyday.

I don't know what happened to the family, as I wasn't there. If they feel they were mistreated in any way, they shouldn't be scared to say something.
And this. I'm glad you brought this point up. So many people are blind and oblivious to the fact that, yes, racism does still exist. Those people opt to ignoring it, though, mostly because they have the privilege to and aren't subjected to what every minority is subjected to on a day to day basis. There is a possibility that the kid was, in fact, being discriminated. Disney, at least, I'd like to think, tried to correct the situation.

lazyboy97o

I also want to point out that in this sort of scenario, it need not be one party is in the right and the other is in the wrong. Both parties could be in the right, but with different perceptions of what occurred, or both parties could be in the wrong, where the family was causing issues and the Cast Members reacted differently due to their race.

Californian Elitist

I came in to say this. Because getting rejected from a date and going to Disney to meet a character whose job it is to interact with kids are the same thing :rolleyes:

That being said, @Aulani_Princess brought up a good point and maybe, the person didn't see the kid properly.

And this. I'm glad you brought this point up. So many people are blind and oblivious to the fact that, yes, racism does still exist. Those people opt to ignoring it, though, mostly because they have the privilege to and aren't subjected to what every minority is subjected to on a day to day basis. There is a possibility that the kid was, in fact, being discriminated. Disney, at least, I'd like to think, tried to correct the situation.

Yep. So very true. You know it really exists when you've been called the "n" word, like I have. I brushed it off because the lady was like a hundred years old and it was obvious she grew up in an ignorant environment. Sadly, there are a lot of people that still behave that way.

Hopefully this situation gets sorted out, but I'll say it again, the lawsuit is a bit too much.

openendedsky

Yep. So very true. You know it really exists when you've been called the "n" word, like I have. I brushed it off because the lady was like a hundred years old and it was obvious she grew up in an ignorant environment. Sadly, there are a lot of people that still behave that way.

Hopefully this situation gets sorted out, but I'll say it again, the lawsuit is a bit too much.
That's a shame, and I'm sorry you have to experience that, still. It just goes to show that there is still a lot of room for work and people that think that racism is over are just turning a blind eye to the problem at hand.

And, I agree. I think I would have been thankful for the offer that Disney rebutted with.

Californian Elitist

That's a shame, and I'm sorry you have to experience that, still. It just goes to show that there is still a lot of room for work and people that think that racism is over are just turning a blind eye to the problem at hand.

And, I agree. I think I would have been thankful for the offer that Disney rebutted with.

That's okay. I've gotten pretty used to stuff like that, anyway. I just pray for them. Definitely lots of room for work.

Yeah, I would have been happy with that, too. Some people's requests are absurd. I used to work at DL, specifically in Fantasyland as an attractions CM. I don't know if you've visited DL, but we have a ride here called the Casey Jr. Circus Train, and as you can guess, it's a train ride based on the movie Dumbo. Anyways, I was going to my position as the train conductor and I noticed my manager was there. A group of five, each of them having their own service dog, all wanted to board the train at once. The rule was only one dog could be on the train at a time, but they all wanted to ride together. My manager let it slide and let them all board the train together. He apologized for the inconvenience and asked if he could do anything else. The "leader" of the group straight up told him they wanted him to buy them all dinner in the park. WHAT?! My eyes got so big and I took a quick glance at my manager. He laughed and basically said no. Ridiculous.

Another time, my teacher in the Disney College Program had told us this family of five (what a coincidence) had gotten stuck on Pirates and had to be evacuated. The father demanded five-day park hopper tickets for each of his family members, a five night stay at the Grand Californian and free breakfast, lunch and dinner for their whole stay. Absolutely delusional and ridiculous.

Aulani_Princess

I understand there is racism still out there. However, I think sometimes we perceive things incorrectly. I've been guilty of it. My son had surgery when he was one but right after he looked like someone had beaten him with a bat. One eye was swollen shut and half his face was bruised. It was horrible as a mother, even worse since that surgery failed and we had a second one a week later without that swelling and bruising. But I was walking with him in the hospital to pick up his medical records the day we were going home and I kept hearing how horrible he looked and how could that happen to a child. By fifth one I was ed and felt judged like I had beat my son. I know that's probably not at all what they referring to, but with the way he looked and the hushed toned of the by standers that's how it came across. My point is that there is racism but there are also misunderstandings and sometimes we all can take things the wrong way. It's not that we look for it but, because the idea has crossed our mind, we project that intent onto the situation. With the evidence they have its hard to say what actually happened, but its something to remember.
That's okay. I've gotten pretty used to stuff like that, anyway. I just pray for them. Definitely lots of room for work.

Yeah, I would have been happy with that, too. Some people's requests are absurd. I used to work at DL, specifically in Fantasyland as an attractions CM. I don't know if you've visited DL, but we have a ride here called the Casey Jr. Circus Train, and as you can guess, it's a train ride based on the movie Dumbo. Anyways, I was going to my position as the train conductor and I noticed my manager was there. A group of five, each of them having their own service dog, all wanted to board the train at once. The rule was only one dog could be on the train at a time, but they all wanted to ride together. My manager let it slide and let them all board the train together. He apologized for the inconvenience and asked if he could do anything else. The "leader" of the group straight up told him they wanted him to buy them all dinner in the park. WHAT?! My eyes got so big and I took a quick glance at my manager. He laughed and basically said no. Ridiculous.

Another time, my teacher in the Disney College Program had told us this family of five (what a coincidence) had gotten stuck on Pirates and had to be evacuated. The father demanded five-day park hopper tickets for each of his family members, a five night stay at the Grand Californian and free breakfast, lunch and dinner for their whole stay. Absolutely delusional and ridiculous.

thomas998

What a joke.

You go to Disneyland, Six Flags or any other amusement park you are paying to get in to ride the rides... EVERYTHING else is a bonus. To suggest that because you didn't get enough face time or hugs from a character and then feel you need an apology and a free souvenir - well... it reminds me of the problem with this country right now. Too many people think they should be given everything for free and everything should be equal... Guess what, life isn't fair. Some people will get more time with a character than other people... you cannot change that, the only thing idiots that believe their should be some equality in character time and hugging will accomplish is a complete ban on all character interaction.

Just wait, if this type of nonsense continues you will see Disney say fine, no more character meet and greets, it isn't worth the lawsuits. Instead expect to see a large stuffed rabbit or whatever it is stand somewhere so people can pose with it.... Would that make you happy?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom