Fake Animals on the Safari.

DisAl

Everytime that I have been through there, the male lion chooses to relieve himself on top of the overlook. Now - if he was fake that sure is a strange added feature!
You can't see it from the tour vehicles but there is a dry moat between the lions and the vehicles so they can't get to you. You can see it clearly on Google Earth. Also, they have air conditioning vents on top of the "rocks" to entice the lions into staying up there on view in hot weather. I wonder if they were heated last week when the temp was in the 30s?
There is some type of barrier that keeps anything that would eat you away from the vehicles.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Well, the animals aren't "fake" -- they're real animals, but I heard sometime over the last 11 years that the zebras were actually horses wearing make up.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well, the fake poacher story is gone. And the fake baby elephant. And the fake African language ("X is the African word for Y!").

The fake baobab, termite mound, and ostrich eggs remain... because they're fake. And the fake rocks. And the fake tire tracks in the fake road. And the fake hippo-bubbling from the unseen hippos that continues non-stop.

Indeed, the animals are the only things that aren't fake, and I'm including the humans... and I'm looking at you, Becky... we all know you use the filters on your selfies!!!

DisAl

Let them put a couple of okapis out there. That would really confuse people who already think some of the animals are fake!
okapi.jpg

disneyspirit

One time all the trucks were at a standstill and it was because there was a rhino walking along the road. Definitely not animatronic.

Attachments

• Rhino in the road.JPG
    Rhino in the road.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 48

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I work at Kilimanjaro Safaris, and this is my single biggest pet peeve at work.

I absolutely hate when I'm driving around and pointing out the animals and I hear from the row behind me "faaake."

You'd be suprised how many people (like your friend) think "just because it's Disney, it's all fake." I hear it at least once, sometimes several times a day.

The animals most commonly thought of as fake are the Nile Crocodiles because for the most part they just lay there completely still all day, but trust me, anyone who's ever seen a vulture get a bit too close KNOWS those crocs are extremely real. The vultures learn the hard way.

I wish I could tell you some of the stories we have about our animals--especially regarding some of our big cats--but I can't for various reasons... but I can assure you that each and every animal you see out there on the Reserve is very VERY real.

If the cheetahs aren't real, why wasn't I allowed to jump out of the truck and pet one when she was climbing on the rocks in the front of the enclosure? And if the sole male giraffe on the Serengeti is fake, that's one darn good looking animatronic the imagineers did, especially that tongue. And the rhinos, too, that rubbed up against our truck during Wild Africa Trek.

Fake - termite mounds (but really authentic looking concrete mounds), the upside down trees, the spot where elephants rub their tusks (1. They can't get to it and 2. It hasn't changed in appearance in the 3 years I've ridden the Safari) and those ostrich eggs that change position but not numbers.....and never seem to hatch. 😉

Btw, Safari is hands down my favorite Disney ride. It never gets old and I learn something new every time I ride it. And I've ridden it at least 50 times. Y'all do a heck of a job. More people should take the Wild Africa Trek. Yes, it's expensive, but well worth the cost. You'd have a greater appreciation for what Disney has done for the animals in that park and species conservation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom