Face it, Mission Space's Days are Numbered.

hardcard

Original Poster
I agree, the ride has yet to be the direct cause of anything besides a little nausia ;).. However it does seem to have a tendancy to find find the weak-link in anyones system and bring it to the point of failure.. Is thios Disney fault? No.. But it still happens, and it's still going to keep people away from the ride.. There was an editorial in the local paper here called "Mission: Death".. etc... Again, it's not the safety that leads me to this conclusion, but the public perception of it's safety.. Between Disney and Hewlett Packard, they cannot afford the amount of bad publicity that this attraction is generating.. Additionally, they can not afford to have an attraction of it's complexity go without riders.. MS was struggling for ridership BEFORE this latest incident, and I'm sure this won't exactly have a POSITIVE effect on that.

For all those reasons, I believe MS will be shuttered for good at some point in the not so distant future.. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they let it stay around until after epcots 25th Anniversary.. There is enough closed in future world right now (mainly just WOL, but, thats big to me... :))

just my 2 cents.

:hammer:

Laura

Premium Member
1. I don't see any reason to create yet another thread about this.

2. Mission:Space hasn't caused anything in people that the Teacups hasn't as far as I know. There's no reason to shut it down.

hardcard

Original Poster
1. I created a new thread because this thread is not about a particular accident, just the ride and accidents with it in general.

2. I know MS hasn't been the direct cause of any of the deaths, but if you think that matters in the publics eye, you are sorely mistaken. IS that enough for Dsney to close the ride permanently? I don't know.. But I promise you, permanent closure of the ride will be discussed at some point.. Just because it has been the direct cause, doesn't mean it won't be blamed in the public eye

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I`d be very surprised if the ride closes anytime soon but I`m sute TD and TWDC in general are taking a long hard look at things.

CTXRover

I have yet to comment on this until the preliminary autopsy results came back.

First, I offer my condolences to the family.

However, the autopsy clearly showed EVIDENCE of LONG-standing high blood pressure. That basically means there was either evidence of end-organ damage secondary to her high blood pressure, or most likely changes within her arterial system secondary to high blood pressure. Long-standing high blood pressure puts extra "pressure" on the arteries, often causing them to become weaker. With her LONG-STANDING history, it was very likely that she could have been walking to her car one morning when an intracranial bleed could occur.

The young boy who had died earlier had a heart condition was unfortunately a ticking-time bomb. As one expert said, the startling sound of a balloon popping could have lead to his sudden cardiac arrest. Did the physical and emotional stress of a ride like Mission: Space contribute to his cardiac arrest? Probably. But that technically could have happened on any "thrill" ride. Imo, Mission:Space did not do anything more to his body physically that pushed him over the edge that a typical roller coaster wouldn't have.

Basically, it seems like an unfortunate coincidence. It is really difficult to say that the ride itself aggravated their condition to a point of leading to their death vs where they at the wrong place at the wrong time.

The media once again continues to link the deaths to Mission:Space and that is what the general public will take away from it. The truth of the matter seems quite different.

My suggestion to Disney is to up the ante with the warning videos once again. Perhaps add some with different languages in subtitles. Perhaps show a video of the actual centrifuge spinning. Many people know at some level that can't handle a roller coaster. These same people however probably don't realize they can't handle Mission:Space because a. it is entirely unique and b. it isn't standing out in the sun for all to see.

I personally don't see the need or justification to close or alter Mission:Space at this time.

M:SpilotISTC12

They wont close it down any time soon. They have put so much money into it. They have sooooooo many warning signs. They need to take the signs before riding seriously. People really need to listen to Capcom alot better.

Rayray

I disagree. We certainly cannot make an accurate judgement, but the most logical cause for the recent death is the history of prolonged hypertension (high BP) that the victim unfortunately possessed. The claim, though, that Disney will close the attraction is ludicrous with the current, limited knowledge. The ride has not malfunctioned and has passed extensive testing. Personally, I think that the ride has experienced "wrong place, wrong time" luck.

Disclaimer: the latter statement is my entitled opinion.:wave:

Justa' BigKid

It in no way matters that the deaths are not "directly" related to Mission:Space. The fact is that public perception vastly outweighs the truth. I don't see the ride closing as soon as the OP, but I could see Disney closing it if the lines dry up and they have a new concept to put in its place.

Epcot82Guy

Also, much to the media's chagrin, these sensationalized "reports" are actually not spawning major anti-Disney or anti-M:S feelings. It seems in conversations I've had with quite a few people, it is really pushing "read the warnings." My sympathies are absolutely with the family. This is very tragic, regardless of whether it happened on M:S, an airplane home, or wherever. However, these are starting to push how important these warnings are. While they may be considered "over the top" by some on other attractions, this is not that case. M:S can be dangerous for certain riders, and people are really starting to realize that. I don't think it is in any major threat of closing yet.

Lee

Adventurer
Nah...it isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
From what I hear, ridership isn't down due to either of the incidents. It would take a massive drop in riders for them to consider writing off an investment of that size (hundreds of millions).
More likely, they will alter the warning signs to include high blood pressure and other ailments, and also perhaps have the CMs do a verbal warning before allowing guests into the ride chamber.

Rayray

Lee said:
From what I hear, ridership isn't down due to either of the incidents. It would take a massive drop in riders for them to consider writing off an investment of that size (hundreds of millions).
More likely, they will alter the warning signs to include high blood pressure and other ailments, and also perhaps have the CMs do a verbal warning before allowing guests into the ride chamber.

I'm glad to hear this. These ideas sound much more logical.

Iakona

Lee said:

Do you mean emphasize high blood pressure? It is already part of the warnings.

ulto22

I can see it now. "Future world closed for minor rehab"

OR

" Please sign this waiver before you can enter this ride"

Iakona

Justa' BigKid said:
It in no way matters that the deaths are not "directly" related to Mission:Space. The fact is that public perception vastly outweighs the truth. I don't see the ride closing as soon as the OP, but I could see Disney closing it if the lines dry up and they have a new concept to put in its place.

Fact is the public and the media have extremely short attention spans.

uklad79

hardcard said:
does seem to have a tendancy to find find the weak-link in anyones system and bring it to the point of failure

By anyone you mean 2 people out of millions? And who said it was the ride that found the week point? Maybe it was just their day to die and it would have happened anyway.

hardcard said:
There was an editorial in the local paper here called "Mission: Death".. etc... Again, it's not the safety that leads me to this conclusion, but the public perception of it's safety

It doesn't sound like the safety of the ride did lead you to the conclusion, more like stupid dump American news reporting! High on misinformation, sensationalism and very low on facts and any form of journalism. Look at the crass stupid title of the news piece, only a dumb ______ would write it.

hardcard said:
MS was struggling for ridership BEFORE this latest incident, and I'm sure this won't exactly have a POSITIVE effect on that.

How do you know it's struggling? A ride that always has lines, 1 hour the day after the death! The ride has high capacity I would like to see figures for all rides before making such a ill informed comment.

hardcard said:
For all those reasons, I believe MS will be shuttered for good at some point in the not so distant future.

Well thank god you don't run anything to do with the Disney Company or you would be fired for suggesting such a dumb idea. Do you think they opened the ride without testing? Do you think that if the 2 deaths had anything to do with the ride they would not have closed and redesigned it? Why would they shutter a ride that is fine and has no defects?

I am amazed at how some people are sucked in by the media's hype. Stop watching Fox news and other such rubbish! America has enough gang crime, murders, involvement in wars, and corporate crime to fill the news so why they bother to report that someone died in a theme park of a natural cause is unbelievable. Time to get back to real news and away from tabloid on TV I think! :hammer:

Face it MS is here to stay if you want to ride it or not!

angelfaerie52

I have been following these threads for the past couple of days.

I don't see why people think ridership is down. The ride has huge capacity. You go through so many phases of queue...

I'm very sorry for the family of the woman who died, but the ride shouldn't be closed. As for adding warnings in every language to man, that is silly. They offer park maps in every language. Maybe Disney can market those guides more clearly....

And the ride is not any more intense than most upside down roller coasters. It has 2gs... many rollercoasters have 5. Yes, some people who can't handle roller coasters should not go on M:S. Maybe a sign comparing the effects of that of a roller coaster type ride would help.

I find the constant M:S bashing annoying. What is the point? It is a popular ride... get over it, I guess.

no2apprentice

Lee said:
Lee, do you think they will consider slowing it, say, down to 1.7g or 1.8g? I would think this would be the real decision for Disney, not just to shut it down.

wdwishes2005

hardcard said:
I agree, the ride has yet to be the direct cause of anything besides a little nausia ;).. However it does seem to have a tendancy to find find the weak-link in anyones system and bring it to the point of failure.. Is thios Disney fault? No.. But it still happens, and it's still going to keep people away from the ride.. There was an editorial in the local paper here called "Mission: Death".. etc... Again, it's not the safety that leads me to this conclusion, but the public perception of it's safety.. Between Disney and Hewlett Packard, they cannot afford the amount of bad publicity that this attraction is generating.. Additionally, they can not afford to have an attraction of it's complexity go without riders.. MS was struggling for ridership BEFORE this latest incident, and I'm sure this won't exactly have a POSITIVE effect on that.

For all those reasons, I believe MS will be shuttered for good at some point in the not so distant future.. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they let it stay around until after epcots 25th Anniversary.. There is enough closed in future world right now (mainly just WOL, but, thats big to me... :))

just my 2 cents.

:hammer:
More people have died on TTA. That's all I'm going to say.

wdwishes2005

no2apprentice said:
Lee, do you think they will consider slowing it, say, down to 1.7g or 1.8g? I would think this would be the real decision for Disney, not just to shut it down.
It would still effect the people and would just make the ride boring......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom